Independent films

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Do you like indie movies?

Nah. Too weird for my taste.
No votes
Yes. Hollywood is boring--give me something fresh.
30%
Hey, if the movie's good, it doesn't matter who makes it.
70%

Total votes: 23

Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet

Independent films

Post by Subhuman »

This is a rather old debate, but it still applies today. Generally, I think independent movies are more creative that standard Hollywood fare, and therefore more interesting for my dollar. Movies like Memento, The Blair Witch Project, The Limey, et al. show us something we've never seen before; others take an old concept and give it a new twist. Either way, they're intelligent and unique. What do you think?

I just finished watching Tape on DVD. Very good--I'd recommend it.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yes some of the best directors out there are independents or started as independents. Robert Rodriguez, Jim Jarmusch, Darren Aronofosky, David Lynch, John Sayles and tons more are very great directors and can do alot without big budgets or overpaid actors.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

I would say that generally independents are better, but in the final analysis it's the movie itself that counts, not who put it out. However, it seems very hard to put anything decent out when multi-million dollar salaries are involved. Everyone wants the movie to succeed and we all know the old adage about too many cooks and pabulum designed for mass appeal.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I like any kind of movie.

Except bollywood.

I don't really care who directed it, so long as the story is good...else what's the point?

Why do directors get all the credit if it's a well written movie?
Last edited by Megatron on Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:chew:
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

Indie films covers such a wide band though.

I hate Hollywood films they're all just ineffensive, dumbed down clichéd crap.
Bulldog
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bulldog »

Pyro wrote:I like any kind of movie.

Except bollywood.
Hey man have you seen Lagaan? BEST BOLLYWOOD EVAR!!!11

Robert Rodriguez is one of my favorties but I haven't spent enough time looking for his movies. Any suggestions besides From Dusk Till Dawn, El Mariachi and Desperado?
Ixian
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ixian »

Indie movies suit me better than the highproductionwannamakealotof$$$ movies....But what I really hate is when someone wants to make money on something that started a an Indie project, a perfect example: Kevin Smith---- Clerks as well as Mallrats kicked ass....but wtf is up with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?!?

p.s.

Memento was a REALLY good movie
Yeah, sure; whatever comforts you.
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

There are lots of independent films out there, to say you are an indie film fan is probably wrong... Those 3 movies you stated "Memento, The Blair Witch Project, The Limey..." were pretty main stream.

I can say that I am an indendent film fan, but not of the ones that end up being supported by thousands of fans.

I am more of a fan of independent action and sci-fi, not of the "drama", "comedic", or just supposed to provoke some sort of feeling indepedant films that you spoke of and usually recieve awards of some sort.

Basically, what I am saying is that most people that are fans of independent films are fans only because they actually heard of the movie from somewhere, be it Cannes -- Award shows, etc...
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

Well how could you be a fan of a film youve never heard of?
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Those 3 movies you stated "Memento, The Blair Witch Project, The Limey..." were pretty main stream.
An indie film, by definition, is produced by an independent studio. Both Blair Witch and The Limey were produced by Artisan, which was at the time a "cult" studio. Memento was produced by Team Todd Productions. It was distributed by Alliance Atlantis, granted, but still produced by Team Todd.

I see your point, though--those films garnered much more attention than the average indie.
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

Well how could you be a fan of a film youve never heard of?
Well, the independent movies I have found and enjoy the most, I had never read a review or EVEN heard of the movie before I saw it.

For instance, I rented a movie called Nemesis... which is now one of my favorite movies of all time, I am sure you have never heard of this movie.. let alone seen it. This movie isn't exactly an independent movie because it was backed by a small company at the time, but I liked a couple of the actors (Olivier Gruner and Tim Thomerson) in it so I checked out some of their other movies... which were independent, but I wasn't "told" to see these movies by anyone I just thought I may like them, that is the difference between a true indie film fan and a imposter.

And check voodoo4936's post for more information :)
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

Thats an extremely snobby post, how do you know what films we have seen or not or our reasons for seeing them.
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

I just thought I would get your blood flowing by saying...

Who are you calling snobby, you are the one from england.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Truly independent movies are not to be found at the video store. You are going to have to see them at an independent film festival or college film festival. At UW-Milwaukee there is a smaller film school which does screen some very good independent films. Some of the profs made a great film a few years ago that I highly recommend - American Movie. It is a funny-ass documentary about a local film-maker trying to make a horror movie. It is out on video now and I think most people should be able to find it at the local video store.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Ixian wrote:But what I really hate is when someone wants to make money on something that started a an Indie project, a perfect example: Kevin Smith---- Clerks as well as Mallrats kicked ass....but wtf is up with Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back?!?
So if you start off as a unknown actor, your not allowed to make a living?

To fully understand Jay and silent bob strike back, you have to watch more or less all of their movies.

I like some indipendant movies, but a movies a movie. I dont care who stars in it, how bigger budget it was. If I like it, I watch it. I dont not watch a movie because it was a low budget one and some parts of the script is poor, and I dont not watch a movie because it was made in hollywood and it has some bad acting.

If you don't like the big budget corporation box-office hollywood movies, I suppose you've never eaten Mcdonalds, never bought any designer clothes or watched T.V?

blahahahaahahahsavfgahvfabfashgkhfkdghfdfmgdsgjdsjnksfnnkjmaoam

Who are you calling snobby, you are the one from england.
Shut the fuck up you dumb piece of shit.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

If you don't like the big budget corporation box-office hollywood movies, I suppose you've never eaten Mcdonalds, never bought any designer clothes or watched T.V?
GENERALLY, Hollywood movies are either dull, bland, or derivative. We've seen it all before. Now granted, there are exceptions. But as a GENERAL rule, Hollywood is the embodiment of all things typical. Indies, on the other hand, GENERALLY offer something new or fresh, and do it in an entertaining way. If you offered me a choice of the latest studio blockbuster or the latest Richard Linklater, you can guess what I'd pick.
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

My god Jack Deth you are an absolute arse hole, look up snob in the dicitonary and I think youll find you qualify for it with just several of your comments in this thread alone.

Your probably one of those arseholes who thinks there cool because they watch obscure movies but if these movies were popular you wouldnt watch them anymore.
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

And why bring England into the conversation, all you prove by doing that is that you are complete ignorant half wit too.
Jack_Deth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Jack_Deth »

Your probably one of those arseholes who thinks there cool because they watch obscure movies but if these movies were popular you wouldnt watch them anymore.
You hit the nail right on the head.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Bulldog asked
Robert Rodriguez is one of my favorties but I haven't spent enough time looking for his movies. Any suggestions besides From Dusk Till Dawn, El Mariachi and Desperado?
That is about the extent of his films. There is The Faculty but I haven't seen it. His first film Bed Head is a pretty funny short film.
Our Host!