Why not?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Why not?

Post by Koki »

Baby arm's evil twin wrote:
No...

stay.

Stay and die here.

Get the fuck out

[Edit] Page 2 :joy:
Serious Business.
Baby arm's evil twin
Respected
Respected

Post by Baby arm's evil twin »

I will eat you mom koki.
:hug:
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote:Firstly, nice to meet you all, [[likely the most overwhelmingly]] negative response to a first post I've ever had.
The very first few converters got quite the stern talking to. This has been somewhat polite.
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote: I'm more of a crusty asshole than that post would let on - not trying to convert, I don't even own a console nor oblivion. Yet I have played it as well as the previous in ""the series"".
This crusty asshole business you go on and on about is evident by your lacking ownership of games and game stations; albeit queer that you managed to get half-way through that ps2 ghoul simulation unit without actually owning a ps2. My friends wouldn't let me bring that thing anywhere near designated console. I recommend you buy some consoles and perhaps find your true self - it is not the console in your home that makes you a console player, it is the console in your heart.

Coming here and asking "Why not?" is also something that I suspect crusty assholes have quite a knack for - because the question has been asked previously and thoroughly discussed. Once? No. Several times, sufficiently enough.

A point perhaps? A new spin on things, a new argument? Yes, then bring it! How I look forward to that day, Jack, because the points, I mean -- the dream image of Bethsoft's Fallout 3 : Sands of the Sahara you've constructed, with crafting, ice cream and whatever else you've mentioned, hardly counters the problems with an fprpg sand simulator Fallout. Problems that have been brought up countless times in this very forum.
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote: So! The issue at hand is not the fact that Bethesda couldn't make an [[amazing fallout game]] in the >>same vein<< as [[the TES series]].
Hahá! I found your second little riddle, didn't I, Jack? The people of Beth can and will make A Fallout game in, likely, the exact same vein as the TES series! Calling it amazing, would require one to pierce space and time in an attempt to kill off God, or at least the visage of one such, and I doubt you need friends that badly.
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote:So as long as the game is 2d AND turn based, same as the original, it feels more alive than Oblivion, or even Daggerfall?

Jack, a dead person feels more alive than Oblivion or even Daggerfall. A dead person.

At the least, a 2d based graphics engine and a turn based combat system will allow SPECIAL a bubble in the sesspool, thusly adding to the overall Fallout experiance. At least I wouldn't be completely disgusted when the first pieces of media hit the interweb. At least they'd get some points right. Jack?
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote:I seem to GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE once a character in Fallout said their piece, other than a few GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE they rarely had any more substance substance substance substance substance substance substance substance substance substance. In Oblivion they do speak about world events as they happen.
Substance was it?

"-He-- llo!"
"-G-e- DDay!"
"-Have you -- heard DEH NEWS?!"
"-N -- No. Do tell!"
"-F -- The Fighters guild are looking for -- NEW BWLOOD!"
"-Rlly? How intresting. I heardd -- the FIGHTERS GUILD are looking for -- NEW BWLOOD!"
"-Go- GOODBYE!"
"-Fare thee well!"

Oh, and did I not try to kill them? Immortal characters, these two, and neither ran or fought! What a disgrace.
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote:I fail at everything, but right now I fail to see how !!Fallout!! is any more a roleplaying game than Oblivion.
May I suggest you perhaps make a complete comparison between the two?!
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote:Both games you're given a world to explore.
By God you're right! In fact, we're given a world to explore in every goddamn pc game so far! Conspiracy!!!
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote:Both games have skills which affect your performance (not just combat related I might add).
The only way you know there are skills in Oblivion, is all thanks to the Loading screens and the Paperdoll.

-As everything levels up as you do, your skills have no impact on combat performance.
-As the speechcraft skill is completely pointless, and largely based on how quick your brains are and how quick your fingers are, your skill has no impact on the game world.
-As lockpicking is primarily based on skills outside of the gameworld, the lockpicking skill has no significant impact on my lockpicking ability.
-And furthermore- oh that's it isn't it? Magic? Eat a fireball you cocksucker.
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote:Both games have a fleshed out cast of supporting characters.
Yes, pity my character wasn't invited. He'd do well in a supporting role -- he looks like everyone else, can convey brilliant lines such as "Rumours" or even "Imperial City" without uttering a word, and is overall just as shit as the rest of the radiant asshole brigade.
[color=yellow][b]Fella[/b][/color] wrote:And both games can be completed (or not completed) in many different ways.

DISCLAIMER:
((Ie you assume a "role" and "play" according to how you believe your character would act.))

Well, I tossed that god damned necklace out of my inventory, into the water, as soon as I got out of the sewers. Good job trusting an asshole to your jewels King Fuckhead. I guess I'll go to the... No. Oh well.

As for the mini quests, you have NO CHOICE. No eh - no choice. Maybe I played "THE WRONG ONES" or something, but I don't - I mean - choice? No.

So hit the road, Jack. But do come back once more, for another festive debate. :drunk:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

A truly epic post. :salute:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'm seeing colors.
Baby arm's evil twin
Respected
Respected

Post by Baby arm's evil twin »

BRAVO! :clap:
:hug:
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

St. Toxic won the Internet. Let's go outside.
Serious Business.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

It's true poetry. If I weren't so busy doing nothing, I'd change St. Toxic's rank to Poet Laureate or something :dance:
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

Ãœber performance Hauptmann Toxic. :salute:
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

bwahahahaha

served

:drunk:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

While St. Toxics response was poetry, I think our newb here would appreciate something he can argue over so I guess I've been tasked (again) with counter argument. Oh happy days.

Now you say you've only played Oblivian without owning it, correct? I assume that means you played it at a friends, right? Well heres a question, how do you know its so great if you've only played a "Fair bit." Isn't it abit presumptious that Oblivian is such a great system if you've only played a small bit? That's like only watching a "Fair bit" of a movie and proclaiming its great. While the areas you may have played were well and good, everyone I know (besides Rex) has said that it's pretty boring after you finish the main quest as everything is just another randomly generated dungeon of one of three designs.

You're only partially correct with your assumption that our greviances are with Isometric turn based. The fact of the matter is, FPS mechanics are just not for fallout. Why, and this partially address why Oblivian is NOT an rpg, is that? Cause first off an RPG relies on the character's skills, not mine. That's why you're roleplaying, not gaming. In First person you lack the ability to really connect with your character, and this was one of the biggest complaints in Oblivian, why would that suddenly change?

How is Fallout more of a roleplaying game then Oblivian. Well first, lets answer "What is a roleplaying game?" Ofcourse the simple answer is that a roleplaying game is a type of video or computer game that uses traditional gameplay elements found in pen-and-paper role-playing games. As previousily mentioned, simply changing the viewpoint changes the nature of the game from something non-roleplaying into something more roleplaying. By changing the nature of the way you fight, and you will be doing a lot of fighting into something based on the Player's ability rather then the Character's. Sorry, but while both contained some fairly idiotic NPC's, I found Fallout's to be abit more fleshed out. Sullik had a complete background, a past, present, future, etc. I didn't find that really well done in Oblivian. As for "Being able to complete the game in different ways." I'm calling bullshit. In Oblivian, most of the quests can only be accomplished in ONE way. Fallout on the other hand always has atleast 2 ways to accomplish almost EVERY quest.

Our problem is that Beth-soft has yet to make a good game above mediocre. Yes, Oblivian has nice graphics and it has 200 hours of content, but what good is all that if it's boring as fuck and just a repeat of what you did before? People always rave about how Morrowind is so great because it's big, expansive, and full of a living world? What good is it if that living world isn't interactivable and theres no REAL reward for exploring the ever lifeless shitty gameplay? So infact, our problem extends more then just Beth's most likely nature of changing the game entirely, but what they're changing it to.

Fallout's NPC's well written dialogue may have eventually went away, but atleast it was well written at a point. Oblivian's dialogue makes me with they stuck with the Wikisystem of Morrowind. NPC dialogue essentially consists of "Rumor?!" and thats pretty much it, and generally you can't even get any information until after you beat the game. Atleast in Fallout everyone had something of interest to say instead of just "RUMORS."

Also, your example of how Oblivian npcs speak of real world events as they happen is kinda bullshit because they did that in Fallout 2 as well. Kill Metzger? People would mention it around town. Became the boxing champ? There was not a place I went to that wasn't callin me "Hurricane" and congratulating me on being the champ, etc, etc.
But then again what if they make the series better.
And then again, what if they make the game worse? I'm willing to give them a chance, no doubt, but they've given me no evidence that they'll make Fallout better or anything more then just an oblivian clone, Oblivian ofcourse being horribly boring. Until there is SOME evidence telling me that it'll be better, the only logical assumption is that it's going to be worse.

Can we move to closing arguments, or is this gonna drag out?
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Thank you Toxic, you are truly a shining beacon of the interwebs.

Now then... as for you fella, I would highly suggest that you do your best to start posting things that make sense and aren't liable to get you the full hazing. I'm not saying that you've got to completely drop your arguments, but they could do with some refining and some more support. Also, coming on here and preaching at us in your first two posts is not going to win you anything, we pride ourselves on being obstinate fucks in these parts, not crusty ass-holes.

Just a bit of friendly advice.

-Dracos
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

:clap:

St.Toxic just gained the secret "Internet penis of uber might" skill :chew:
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

This guy is so double accounter that is putting you all on. Or he just read trough the forums and thought "hm what should piss em off most?"

I really admire him for this.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Who here was pissed off?
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

I didnt say someone was pissed off.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

.......Then why would you admire him for doing something and failing? Do failures hold a special place in your heart?
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

He didnt really fail if he wasnt serious him self. Cause this thread really seems like he wanted a laugh.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

A failure is still a failure no matter how serious of a matter is at hand. Kinda like how you fail to grasp basic logic.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Or how you fail to post anything worth reading.
Our Host!