Why not?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Fella
SDF!
SDF!

Why not?

Post by Fella »

Old time fallout fan, loved the series even made it partly through BOS

A lot of Bethesda bashing here, which is troubling to me. Ask yourselves this, would Bethesda have taken on this project if they weren't fallout fans as well? Maybe, but given the scope of these cats previous works I find that hard to believe.

You bet your asses they're gonna change the formula, I would too. Make it a first person rpg like oblivion. The melee combat bethesda utilizes has been improved every game thus far and Fallout will be no exception. Why can't skills be implemented? Shotgun skill low? Then you fumble madly to reload, take damage from the kick (depending on strength stat) and can't do more than point somewhere near a target and pray. Melee chars can disarm and use shields (ie whatever metal is lying around maybe, car door if you're uber strong etc) Even targetted shots to the eyes or wherever could be implemented easily and effectively. No skill with laser/plasma weapons? Yeah you can fire them, not accurately nor can you reload without blowing yourself or the gun (or dogmeat) away...RPG stats are prominent in Oblivion, mixed with traditional FP gameplay and they would work even better here.

Make your own chemical cocktails, build guns and armor etc?
Start as an intelligent deathclaw? A mutant...maybe a robot? Join the brotherhood and fight raiders, join raiders and fight the brotherhood, join the enclave and fight both...

Skills such as finding water and food in the desert? Radiation turning you into a mutant? Vehicles that can be repaired using parts you need to see and identify? Looking up and seeing wasteland skies? Rolling desert with canyons and caves? Ruined towns? Scorpion pits that will actually make your balls tuck in? Quicksand, weather effects, and the massive vaults they could construct. Why go back to the isometric 2d when you can be totally immersed in a full 3d world. And oblivion is that much more alive than morrowind. Imagine +3 years and the fallout setting?

Bethesda takes great pains in crafting a world, not just a game. A living breathing world and each time they do they get better. Fallout is in good hands this time around. Those ideas above are just scratching the surface of what they'll do if they go for the quality of Oblivion.

I've played the first two fallouts every way I can think of, and loved them both. The opportunity for a much more visceral and immsersive foray into the universe is on hand. You should be excited.
Give them support instead of condemning them before they even start....
Aneurysm
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Aneurysm »

No.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Welcome, lackey of Bethesda! This wonderful hive of villany and whatnot is Duck and Cover, if you missed the name on the way in.

I've played the first two Fallouts as well. I've played MicroForte's ... game. I know that a console game exists with the name "Fallout" somehow attached, but beyond that don't care with regards to that one. Pretty much it goes that if you played and loved the first two Fallouts and understood why the two "based on" followup games were a load of crap, you would understand why Bethesda cannot do justice to the game. I've played Morrowind. I'm told that Oblivion is essentially the same, with better graphics. That's well and good. If you like the genre you're in. Personally I found Morrowind to be a buggy (that, at least, has a home in Fallout) boring jaunt through a world with a decent background but crappy gameplay. Back to the matter at hand, however. I do not want to see Elderscrolls with a post apocalyptic look and hookers and guns.

Quite honestly, no matter how hard you work at it we will not convert. You might get one or two of the suckers, but quite honestly we do not care. Fallout is dead and you're beating a dead horse. Take your paycheck and go to bed. You'll achieve nothing here.

However, please do not be afraid to come back. Just don't try to convert us. Keep us updated on whatever info Bethesda decides to give. Maybe halfway through the development process they'll see the light and go for a turnbased AP system. God only knows, maybe they'll have a well rounded skill system and the ability to play through the game without just smashing everything with a big glowing daedric sword. Maybe they'll decide to take the advice of people that played and love the original games. Maybe they'll even create a decent game. One for a "mature" audience, in the sense that it's for mature persons, not tits and ass for 15 year olds to drool over. Only time will tell.

However, in general, I'm a rather big fan of Aneurysm's "No."
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Oh great, the new crop of Fallout fans is emerging.

I dreamt about Fallout 3 again last night.
  • The Master v2.0?
  • Vault City?
  • Rumors?
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

[color=yellow]Fella[/color] wrote:Hell, I loved the series even made it partly through BOS.
How enigmatic, you flaccid cunt. Well, couldn't fool me. Good luck next time.
Last edited by St. Toxic on Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: Why not?

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Fella wrote:I've played the first two fallouts every way I can think of, and loved them both. The opportunity for a much more visceral and immsersive foray into the universe is on hand.
You forgot to say 'epic' and mention soil erosion and Patrick Stewart, other than that I think you hit most of the Oblivion fanboy talking points.

Now wipe Tod Howard's jizm off your face and drag ass back to TES forum.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

You bet your asses they're gonna change the formula, I would too. Make it a first person rpg like oblivion
Oblivion is NOT a RPG you dimwit.
A game needs MORE than integers for skills and chit to be a rpg.
Why can't skills be implemented? Shotgun skill low? Then you fumble madly to reload, take damage from the kick (depending on strength stat) and can't do more than point somewhere near a target and pray. Melee chars can disarm and use shields (ie whatever metal is lying around maybe, car door if you're uber strong etc) Even targetted shots to the eyes or wherever could be implemented easily and effectively.
there is no shotgun skill.
And seeing how shitty oblivion is, why would anyone want FO3 to be like oblivion?

The one and ONLY thing I can see working is the oblivion engine, all they have to do is position the camera like in fallout.
Bethesda takes great pains in crafting a world, not just a game. A living breathing world and each time they do they get better.
eh?
the worlds in morrowind and oblivion are as dead as a tutsi whore in a hutu village.
And that is what'll happend to Fallout too, first raped (yeah Hines, you know what Im talking about.) then killed of with the scythe of multiplatform release; forged by ignorance and sharpened with stupidity.
You are a dirty whore, Fella.
I hope your console burns (yeah I know you own one), and that you choke on your mothers dirty she-mullet.
fucker.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

O, Gods . . .

They know no cessation. E'er covetous of attention, of focus. Never silent, still or gone.

They are as the dead. :drunk:
Baby arm's evil twin
Respected
Respected

Post by Baby arm's evil twin »

Mismatch wrote:forged by ignorance and sharpened with stupidity.
You are a dirty whore, Fella.
I hope your console burns (yeah I know you own one), and that you choke on your mothers dirty she-mullet.
fucker.
:flamed: :clap:
:hug:
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Boy did you pick the wrong place to try to be diplomatic.
Fella wrote:Bethesda takes great pains in crafting a world, not just a game
So how come they still feel so fake undeniably fake, stilted, and lifeless?

Also - Radiation isn't what turned you into a mutant if I remember correctly, but rather it was FEV.

I have every reason to condemn Beth-soft from the start and no reason to trust them. Morrowind was horribly boring and I honestly didn't find Oblivian much better in any regard besides the fun of watching rats fall down hills. The burden of proof is on their end of the court, remember? Until they start giving me a reason to believe that the game will be good instead of a copy of Oblivian with guns (Which may I add is NOT an rpg. FP RPG here lately is pretty much an oxymoron) I have NO reason to believe them.

I won't go by your examples and chew them apart bit by bit as to why they'd be horrible ideas, because they're just examples that you gave to get me excited at the prospect of a FP fallout...It didn't work needless to say.

What you want is more towards the lines of Wasteland Half Life or The Wastes or something of that nature except with a campaign mode. We want an RPG thats actually an RPG and keeps with Fallout in spirit at least, not some cheap cash in by Bethsoft to get money off of Fallouts name by simply making some simple changes to the Oblivian engine.
Baby arm's evil twin
Respected
Respected

Not FP...

Diablo with guns?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

We already did that and it didn't sell. Bethsoft is stupid, but I doubt they're that dumb.......then again.
Baby arm's evil twin
Respected
Respected

FP FOT?
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Restricted Area. D:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Oblivion with guns!! :aiee:
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

that's fucking it. drop the big unz - NOW.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Nicolai wrote:Restricted Area. D:
Urgh
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Fella
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Fella »

Firstly, nice to meet you all, likely the most overwhelmingly negative response to a first post I've ever had. I'm more of a crusty asshole pessimist than that post would let on. So at least we're somehow on the same page, just two different books.

I'm not trying to convert, I don't even own a console nor oblivion. I have played it a fair bit though as well as the previous in the series. Near as I can tell, the issue at hand is not the fact Bethesda couldn't make an amazing fallout game in the same vein as TES series. The issue is that they're not likely making an isometric turn-based AP based game?

So as long as the game is 2d turn based same as the original(s..) it feels more alive than Oblivion, or even daggerfall? I seem to remember that once a character in Fallout said their piece, other than a few (well written) one liners they rarely had any more substance. Similar to Morrowind, but Oblivion they do speak about world events as they happen. Share small talk amongst themselves as well.

I fail to see how Fallout is any more a roleplaying game than Oblivion. Both games you're given a world to explore, both games have skills which affect your performance (not just combat related I might add), both games ahave a fleshed out cast of supporting characters. And both games can be completed (or not completed) in many different ways. Ie you assume a "role" and "play" according to how you believe your character would act.

I guess I would be pissed if they tried to make a FPS X-com (which they did). But then again what if they make the series better.

And no I'm not trying to convert, more or less seeing if anyone in here was actually excited about the prospects of the new game.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Fella wrote:A lot of Bethesda bashing here, which is troubling to me. Ask yourselves this, would Bethesda have taken on this project if they weren't fallout fans as well?
Make it a first person rpg like oblivion.

Get the fuck out
Start as an intelligent deathclaw? A mutant...maybe a robot?
Get the fuck out
quality of Oblivion
Get the fuck out

[Edit]Someone here said that First Person can't be RPG. That someone needs to have 124 Dungeon Master diskettes putted into his ass.
Last edited by Koki on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serious Business.
Baby arm's evil twin
Respected
Respected

Koki wrote:Get the fuck out
No...

stay.

Stay and die here.
Our Host!