So, will fallout 3 be a RPG?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Scumbag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Scumbag »

How come it's called a roleplaying game then?
Because many of the early games of this nature were based on PnP games in which players actually played roles. It's no different than calling Civ4 a "4X" game, when only 2 of the 4 Xes are true.
You assume a role of your own, thus you're roleplaying.
I'm not assuming any role - I'm rejecting any role. The character is simply a tool to do what I want.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

VasikkA, for the sake of the father, son and my tired brains -- no forget it, go on.
[color=blue][b]St. Toxic[/b][/color] wrote:The role being there is not optional.
[b][color=yellow]Scumbag[/color][/b] wrote:Sure it is. It's called 'ignoring it'.
Yes, I shall repeat myself once more. The role being there, is not optional. It's not optional. Not optional. You'd have to bypass the character creation screen somehow and probably null your stats, or perhaps rip the content out of the game and play around in a sandbox.

Hope this helps, cheers.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Ignore the content of the game. It's merely a tool to do what you want.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Scumbag wrote:I'm not assuming any role - I'm rejecting any role. The character is simply a tool to do what I want.
Bullshit. Your character exists and has a role in the gameworld. The gameworld reacts to your character depending on how you play that role. It is you who is in charge of the character and there's no way you can reject that.

It's a computer game and not a fucking LARP.
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

Jesus Christ, I've got to keep up over the weekend.
Scumbag wrote:Any RPG - Fallout included - can be played without roleplaying.
Now that's deep, guys. HOLY CANNOLI!

Hey no shit, Tootsie Roll. Just because I don't wake up every morning in the really real world and shoot up some rad away while looking outside for marauding floaters doesn't mean I'm not role playing when I load up fallout. That's either the dumbest or the most obvious thing I've ever heard on the subject, depending. Maybe both.

I know one thing, if "role playing" is the goal in Oblivion, then something is missing. Surely, because in Oblivion, I find it diffcult to feel any kind of attachment towards my charcter, considering he's a GREEN FUCKING ELF MAN WITH WINGS AND SHIT LOL!!!!!!111

ES games are simply devoid of life, devoid of the vibrancy of even a fucking game of Vampy Masquerade, and that's real sad, considering.
VasiKKA wrote:It's a computer game and not a fucking LARP.
Amen.
Scumbag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Scumbag »

Surely, because in Oblivion, I find it diffcult to feel any kind of attachment towards my charcter, considering he's a GREEN FUCKING ELF MAN WITH WINGS AND SHIT LOL!!!!!!111
How could you be attached to Marcus, since he's just Super Mutant Sprite #4? Or Dogmeat, since he's Dog Sprite #1?
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Because they had personalities.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

VasikkA wrote: It's a computer game and not a fucking LARP.
Ooohh, but it might be neat to include some fat insane wiccans lecturing
their cats.
Sytxferryman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Sytxferryman »

I can see the age of the "New and Improved" F3 Fans has arrived.

*passes popcorn and beer around and watches*

Btw Box I love your avatar

EDIT:Oooo First Post!
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

"New and Improved"
well, improved suggests improvement.
so that was a poor choice of words.
how about deprived?
Sytxferryman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Sytxferryman »

Mismatch wrote:
"New and Improved"
well, improved suggests improvement.
so that was a poor choice of words.
how about deprived?
You are correct. "New and Deprived" is alot more fitting.

Days of sleep deprivation for finals can do this to me though :bored:

I honestly was thinking these F3 fans wouldnt come out till closer to F3, like a year atleast away.

Bah... if someone will make Fallout-1 that work on my PDA (Dell Axim X51V, 624MHz model) I will be a hella lot more thrilled than I could ever be about them making F3. It would make lectures so much more interesting for me... set the PDA to record for the lecture, plug in the headphones and fade to Fallout.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

St. Toxic wrote:Because they had personalities.
AMEN, Brother!

I have yet to find a character in Oblivion with that. That was truly one of the things that made the fallouts great, the pure brilliance in the dialog and character (NPC) development allowed you to empathize with a sprite.

Now let us prey for this to continue...
Last edited by Jesus Christ on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

What was the single best thing about FO?
What is the one thing that Bethsoft has proven over and over again that they don't know how to do?
The answer? Dialogue.

FO3 will be pure crap in every way, at least in every way which matters to a FO fan. But at least it'll have soil erosion.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

And realistic "Rats falling down a hill" action.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Urizen wrote:What was the single best thing about FO?
What is the one thing that Bethsoft has proven over and over again that they don't know how to do?
The answer? Dialogue.
Yes!

You hit the nail right on the head with that one.
Urizen wrote:FO3 will be pure crap in every way, at least in every way which matters to a FO fan. But at least it'll have soil erosion.
Maybe Bethsoft has hired some descent writers for this one...

Prey Bethsoft has hired some descent writers for this one.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

and kept the child killer perk. Image
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

Jesus Christ wrote: You hit the nail right on the head with that one.
Thank you.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Jesus Christ wrote:Maybe Bethsoft has hired some descent writers for this one...
Improbable. Nay, impossible. If this were not so, so, we would know of them by the existence of their work prior to this point. Instead, some of us blithely await More Of The Same to the disappointing tune of Wailing Fuckwits In B Minor.

The only hope I would have for Fallout 3 pertained to those that would heed the transient and butcher it - a vein hope. With knives. Alas, that time, that concern fueled, fury shod motivation, has been. :drunk:
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

Hey Ferryman, thanks. Leisuretown is the shit. The shit. And so is Pants.

Yeah, Beth can't do NPCs. I could talk to Marcus, shit I could even talk to Vic, and get a whole fucking story out of them, talking head or not is what I'm saying. Myron went on for ages about zany backstory shit. Myron was annoying, Myron was a twat. That green orc woman that wants to be a knight is both annoying and a twat, but in a completely different way. She's flat, a paragraph at best. And she's probably one of the more inetersting NPCs in Oblivion. ES is their flagship line, and this is the best they can do? Give me a fucking break.

The deepest character in Oblivion was Captain Picard, and, well... he was only deep because you kept saying to yourself, Man that guy will do anything for fifty dollars and a plane ticket, won't he?

Anyways, remember that last big pre-Oblivion interview, was it with Todd or Pete I don't remember? It really doesn't matter, anyways. In that interview, Beth more or less came right out and said, "We don't really care what people think of our games and you can buy it or not. They sell well, so we must be doing something right." Surely, that's an explicit a tell-off to FO fans, as he deigns to repeat that line after the interviewer mentions FO3.

Anyways, what I'm getting at is: it seems to me that these guys at Beth don't give a flying shit one way or the other what true FO fans think.
And Scumbag, you seem to know an awful lot concerning what beth is going to include in FO3, even though you're not a beth shill nor Pete Hines' 14 y/o son. Surely, you're not.

If anyone down in MD is listening...

1. FIX THE FUCKING DIALOGUE. NO ONE CAN STRESS THIS ENOUGH. HAVING A PARTY REQUIRES THIS; FALLOUT 3 REQUIRES THIS.
2. KEEP CHILD KILLING FOR FUCKSSAKES. THIS ENTERTAINMENT ALONE WOULD GO A LONG WAY IN COMPENSATING FOR THE INEVITABLE DEFICIENCIES IN OTHER AREAS, NAMELY 1.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

I don't see anyway they'd be able to pull this off without some attepmt to involve former FO3 devs.

I think an even bigger component to FO was the PnP fundamentals - another area Bethesda seems only too willing to 'streamline' to make more digestible for the mainstrem troglydytes.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Our Host!