So, will fallout 3 be a RPG?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

I just read an article at Wiki about Fallout 3 and it hit me. It will never come out.

It's supposed to be in development since 2004. That's two years without single concrete info or screenshot. Normal game would be in beta stages after two years. Bethseda is simply afraid to do it. The pressure and all. There will be nothing at E3 this year too... ha ha ha! Seriously, you know how this will end. STALKEROWNED
Serious Business.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Koki wrote:Normal game would be in beta stages after two years.
Example.

EDIT: Also, "Bethsoft's Fallout 3" is pretty far from normal in any sane mind.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

St. Toxic wrote:
Koki wrote:Normal game would be in beta stages after two years.
Example.
I would. I truly would. Was I not hedonistic slacker :drunk:
Serious Business.
box
Rustbelt Princess
Rustbelt Princess

Post by box »

A kill children rampage would have made Vice City the best game ever.

And since FO3 is going to be a FPS anyways, I guess I should hope for practical things. I hope that the children will throw rocks at me. I hope that there's going to be bloody chunks flying about, like in Quake. I hope that there will be children. If nothing else then, I'll buy the game...
for the children.
For the children.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

There will be the DARK HUMOR like setting rats on fire too

RATS FIRE LOL ITS SO :DEVIL:
Scumbag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Scumbag »

None of the Elder Scrolls games prohibited you from roleplaying. Neither did they prohibit you from not playing it that way.

I have no doubt you can roleplay to your heart's content in FO3. Likeways, I have no doubt you can gameplay it as much as you want.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

None of the Elder Scrolls games prohibited you from roleplaying.
neither does doom, if you have the needed imagination. But that doesn't make it a roleplaying game.
How do you manage to be such a fucking cunt?
Neither did they prohibit you from not playing it that way.
Well, but it did deter you, by being a cockawfully boring piece of shit.
Scumbag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Scumbag »

neither does doom, if you have the needed imagination. But that doesn't make it a roleplaying game.
True, Doom isn't a roleplaying game, but when it comes to computer games, you can't force a player to roleplay. Besides, why would you want to?

You claimed that Bethsoft doesn't make "Pure RPGs". I'd be curious what a Pure RPG game would be, especially considering that most people would consider Bethsoft's games RPGs. (Plus, it's painfully easy to play Fallout without a drop of roleplaying.)
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Fallout is a pure RPG. Everything else is _________ "with RPG elements".
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Scumbag wrote:you can't force a player to roleplay
Plus, it's painfully easy to play Fallout without a drop of roleplaying.)
What the FUCK are you talking about? :?

The fact that makes Oblivion more of an action game than an RPG is that the outcome of most actions are determined by the player and not the player's character(i.e. you don't assume a role; instead your character is only a tool). The dialogue, combat and quest design in Oblivion are nowhere near of what is considered a 'good' standard. Unless, of course, your standards are lower. Next time, come with some arguments instead of making half-assed claims.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Come back in about a week, Scumbag. The place is due for cleaning, and when that's done you'll find all the answers you can possibly imagine, neatly packed into something or other. You might also want to look through the "How do you define an rpg?" thread in General Gaming, to, as they say, get the saliva flowing.
Scumbag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Scumbag »

Fallout is a pure RPG.
Could you explain how? Elaborate and specify how Fallout is a pure RPG?
What the FUCK are you talking about?
Easy. Know how you want to play the game, and build your character in such a way that makes it effective. Respond to NPCs in the way that gets you the item/plot/quest you want. Tag X X and X skills, because you know they will always be effective. Choose perks that help you win the game - if I'm remembering correctly, you always chose Talented since it was so beneficial. (For the record, I think it was Talented. The opposite of Skilled, which I never touched cuz... well, duh.)

Any RPG - Fallout included - can be played without roleplaying.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Pretty intense. :salute:
Scumbag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Scumbag »

Nicolai wrote:Pretty intense. :salute:
:shrug: It's just another way to play a computer game. Sometimes you play it as if you're the character, sometimes you play it as if you're the guy controlling the character. No game can prevent the player from doing either.
Last edited by Scumbag on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

[color=yellow][b]Scumbag[/b][/color] wrote:Elaborate and specify how Fallout is a pure RPG?
As per previous notion, drop by the General Gaming forum. There's a bucket of crap waiting for you to wade through it.
[color=yellow][b]Scumbag[/b][/color] wrote:Any RPG - Fallout included - can be played without roleplaying.
You're talking about out of game knowledge, I get that. Still, it seems you aren't fully understanding what an rpg is. You playing the role of Bill Forrester, a lone gunslinger in a barren wasteland, is really sweet. Albeit optional. The role being there is not optional. Sniff around the General Gaming forum, poncho.
Scumbag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Scumbag »

As per previous notion, drop by the General Gaming forum. There's a bucket of crap waiting for you to wade through it.
I was only asking in order to facilitate a dialogue concerning "What's likely for Bethsoft to do". But I will check it out if I feel like it.
playing the role of Bill Forrester, a lone gunslinger in a barren wasteland, is really sweet. Albeit optional. The role being there is not optional.
Sure it is. It's called 'ignoring it'. Sometimes, I play Fallout and do things that a man who lived his whole life in a Vault wouldn't think to do. Why? Cuz I'm the player.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Scumbag wrote:
Fallout is a pure RPG.
Don't listen to Subhuman. He makes a shitty web comic.
Easy. Know how you want to play the game, and build your character in such a way that makes it effective. Respond to NPCs in the way that gets you the item/plot/quest you want. Tag X X and X skills, because you know they will always be effective. Choose perks that help you win the game
First you make a character and then you play the game(I prefer in that order, but it's not important). You may develop your character during the game to whatever suits you. Okay, I follow you this far... BUT!

The concept of roleplaying, however, is much more than just developing a character. Simply put, it boils down to how your character can react to the gameworld and vice versa.
if I'm remembering correctly, you always chose Talented since it was so beneficial. (For the record, I think it was Talented. The opposite of Skilled, which I never touched cuz... well, duh.)
You're wrong. There's no such trait as Talented, but there's a Gifted one. :rolleyes:
Any RPG - Fallout included - can be played without roleplaying.
A roleplaying game can be played without roleplaying? Your definition of roleplaying is quite peculiar.
Scumbag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Scumbag »

There's no such trait as Talented, but there's a Gifted one
Okay, so I got the name wrong, big deal. I knew Skilled was the one I avoided because of it's gameplay-based weakness.
A roleplaying game can be played without roleplaying?
Yup. A roleplaying game can be played without concerning yourself with the role of the character you're playing. I can do it in Oblivion (if I don't make up my character's backstory, it doesn't matter), and I can do it in Fallout (Lived entire life in a Vault? I don't care, I'll have him do what I want him to do.)
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

VasikkA wrote:
Scumbag wrote:
Fallout is a pure RPG.
Don't listen to Subhuman. He makes a shitty web comic.
So Fallout isn't a pure RPG, then? Good to know.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Scumbag wrote:Yup. A roleplaying game can be played without concerning yourself with the role of the character you're playing.
How come it's called a roleplaying game then? Fuck, I can play any RPG thinking I'm Adolf Hitler. Does it make the game a non-RPG?
I can do it in Oblivion
Well, maybe that's because Oblivion is closer to an action game than an RPG.
I can do it in Fallout (Lived entire life in a Vault? I don't care, I'll have him do what I want him to do.)
Bingo! You assume a role of your own, thus you're roleplaying. In Fallout, all you are given is a generic callsign, The Vault Dweller, and a special task. How you intend to play the game or develop your character is completely up to you.
Our Host!