Fallout Modding 1: Setup and Testing

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Fallout Modding 1: Setup and Testing

Post by Temaperacl »

Setup:
The first step before you start modding fallout is to extract the files you are going to edit from the DAT files. Suggested tools for doing this are:
Fallout 1: MiniDatMan
Fallout 2: DatExplorer or DatMan Light.

When you extract the files, remember to keep the same directory structure as within the DAT file. This will make it much easier for you to remember where to put files when it is time to test your MOD.

Once you have extracted the files that you need (which will vary depending on what you are trying to alter), then you are ready to start.

Testing
Testing your modifications is fairly simple- just copy your files to the appropriate subdirectory under the DATA subdirectory of your fallout game.
(Thus, for example:
If you had Fallout 2 installed to D:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2, and you had just altered Klint's (The person you meet on the first screen) script file (acklint.int).
In Master.DAT, the script files are located under \scripts, so you would copy the script file to D:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2\DATA\scripts\acklint.int in order to test it.
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Roving_Rabid_Raider »

So after I copied the edited file back to it's original folder, I just run the game?

Do I need to start a new game to see the effect?
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Yup, all you have to do is copy it back. I've seen some people say that you have to set them to read-only or they will be overwritten, but I've never encountered that.

If you have to start a new game or not depends on what you altered.
If you altered a map that you have already visisted in the game, then you will have to start a new game. Other than that you shouldn't have to start a new game to see the effect.
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Alrite, I havent edited anything yet, but while I was looking for the editor program at DAC, I saw a mod there that says it gives me the Frank Horigan's armour. I tried out that mod and now I get an error everytime I try to open the drawer that has the armour inside. Do you think I should set that .DAT file to read-only? And does this also apply to everything the mods that I'm going to make?
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

I don't know- I haven't used any packaged mods.. I just tried that mod and it crashes when I try to open the drawer or when I leave the map and return. It seems like a problem with the mod to me, but if other people have used it successfully, it is probably something we missed in the installation of it. Sorry I can't be of more help..
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

I got Datexplorer and I dont know what it is at all. I open up alot of files in the *.DAT files and if I open any of them, it's a whole bunch of words like those in *.cfg files.

What do I do after that?
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

I like using DatMan Light better, but I think what you have to do with DatExplorer is select the folder (in the left pane) that contains the files or folders you want to extract, then select the files or folder(s) you want to extract in the right pane. Goto Extract->Extract Selected Files to ... , then select the folder you want to extract the files to.. Then you can edit the files you extracted..

If I didn't explain clearly, please let me know and I'll try to explain it a little better.. Hopefully this helped, though..
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Alrite, I can edit those files, but what do I edit at all? and What should I edit or not edit?

Please start with some simple editing, maybe like....you choose the the stuff to edit, I'll just follow you.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Ok- let's start off with item editing- I've made a new topic "Fallout Modding 3: Items" to explain how to do it..
Our Host!