Fallout 1 & 2 Opening Sequences

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
drochfhuaimniú
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout 1 & 2 Opening Sequences

Post by drochfhuaimniú »

Heya

I'm trying to get a screenshot of the opening image of the Fallout 2 monologue; the three people seated around an ancient-style computer console. Yet whenever I try to PrtScn it, I get this ugly awful mess of an image. I'd like to use it as a desktop background, see. Does anyone know where one can get these screenshots, or can screen shot it for me in 1024x768 res?
"I have many leather-bound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"
Geno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Geno »

I can't help you much right now since I don't have Fallout 2 installed, but maybe you can try it FRAPS. It's a small utility that makes screenshots and videos with games. The non-registered version put the fraps mark on it, but... it's not that bad. I'll try to take a screen too when I install it.

Would this better in Fallout Technical Support? :?
drochfhuaimniú
SDF!
SDF!

Post by drochfhuaimniú »

Hrm. Well it got me one of hte desktop images I'd wanted--thanks :D

But I was really looking to make a .gif out of the Fallout 1 opening "Our Boys Keep the Peace in newly-annexed Canada", and it doesn't seem to work for that.

Also, the video recording only goes up to 10 seconds, not the promised 30.
drochfhuaimniú
SDF!
SDF!

Post by drochfhuaimniú »

Wait, no, it seems I'm in error.

In the movie making department...

The main problem with FRAPS is that in order to begin recording you must press a key; this will, of course, terminate the cutscene.

In Fallout 1, the cutscene that begins with "Brian Fargo Presents" apparently shares traits with the Loch Ness monster in as much as that it absolutely refuses to be recorded by FRAPS; and I tested that numerous times.

In Fallout 2, the cutscene that begins with the Black Isle logo (and has Louis Armstrong) will also not be recorded; however, the one after it, with War Never Changes will record.

The screenshot of course will not work as it doesn't pick anything up in the first place and also will end the cutscene.

The search goes on....
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I think you can paint over the Fraps mark with black if it bothers, assuming it's in a corner? Fallout cutscenes had black edges in top and bottom, if I remember correctly.

You could also search for the image you want in DAC and NMA galleries.

link
link
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Press f12, not prtscrn.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

If I'm not mistaken, this was a reversed photograph of a nuclear reactor console and its operators. Unfortunately I can't remember how it was called, or where I saw it originally.
drochfhuaimniú
SDF!
SDF!

Post by drochfhuaimniú »

ApTyp wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this was a reversed photograph of a nuclear reactor console and its operators. Unfortunately I can't remember how it was called, or where I saw it originally.
This?

@ Franz Schubert-my keyboard doesn't seem to register F12 as a screenshot

And apparently, Fallout isnt' loading now anymore. When i turn it on it says it needs 20.0 MB of hard disk space...
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

That's the one. Except mine doesn't have Cthulhu cultist doing the narration...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

What the hell is that? Are you trying to translate Fallout into Welsh?
drochfhuaimniú wrote:my keyboard doesn't seem to register F12 as a screenshot
It saves the screenshots somewhere in Fallout folder, unlike PrintScr. I've had colors messed up in other games using PrintScr so this might be the cause.
drochfhuaimniú
SDF!
SDF!

Post by drochfhuaimniú »

It's Irish Gaelic, not Welsh. "Cogadh. Ní athraíonn cogadh am ar bith--War. War does not change at all". You're close though. I'm thinking of translating just the opening sequence, maybe... and use Windows Movie Maker to make a nice presentation.

I tried F12 and you were right, it puts them in the main Fallout directory--but it makes cinematics as a blank black screen. So I think I'm going to update my drivers and try to take a screenshot again and maybe it won't come out as a strangely coloured mess, as FRAPS told me that my drivers were out of date.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

WTF is with Gaelic? Isn't this like almost dead language?

I saw short movie about it on Discovery.
Serious Business.
drochfhuaimniú
SDF!
SDF!

Post by drochfhuaimniú »

Koki wrote:WTF is with Gaelic? Isn't this like almost dead language?

I saw short movie about it on Discovery.
"Gaelic" isn't a language, it's a family of languages. There's Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic, and Manx Gaelic, which are respectively spoken in Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man. They're all very similar languages.

They are not dead languages; there are roughly 60,000 Scots Gaelic speakers in Scotland, with about 9,000 more worldwide. There are roughly 1.6 million people who "claim a knowledge of Irish", and over 70,000 use it as their principal spoken language. Nobody knows how many speakers of Manx there are.

Welsh is a Celtic language that is related to the Gaelic languages, but it's got around 500,000 speakers.

Honestly I don't think the writing of Irish looks that strange, at least when I look at eastern European languages like Polish or Hungarian. Maybe it's just weird for me to see "r" as a vowel...
Our Host!