Fallout 2 + Wasteland Merc Mod

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
ecienavxela
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout 2 + Wasteland Merc Mod

Post by ecienavxela »

I dug up Fallout 2 again when I found out about this mod, but it seems that I cannot get it to run properly.

System specs: WinXP Pro, Athlon 3200, 512MB DDR, ATI Radeon 9600SE, latest video drivers.

Since my FOT:BOS cds no longer run (can't figure out why), I Alcohol 120'd my FO2 copy and installed it from there. Everything installs fine. I then install the "official" patch, then the 1.03, 1.04, and 1.05 community patches, then the Wasteland Merc 2 (or Wasteland Merc + Black market expansion). The game runs fine for a while, I can even enter the first town. When I exit and enter the next town, the game gives me an error, something about an integer being divided by zero (didn't get a screenshot).

The same thing happens when I install either Wasteland Merc 2 or 1 with or without the patches. Then again, while playing FO2, it gives me the same error sometimes. This is getting really frustrating

Any help?
- Ice
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Re: Fallout 2 + Wasteland Merc Mod

Post by Redeye »

ecienavxela wrote:I dug up Fallout 2 again when I found out about this mod, but it seems that I cannot get it to run properly.

System specs: WinXP Pro, Athlon 3200, 512MB DDR, ATI Radeon 9600SE, latest video drivers.

Since my FOT:BOS cds no longer run (can't figure out why), I Alcohol 120'd my FO2 copy and installed it from there. Everything installs fine. I then install the "official" patch, then the 1.03, 1.04, and 1.05 community patches, then the Wasteland Merc 2 (or Wasteland Merc + Black market expansion). The game runs fine for a while, I can even enter the first town. When I exit and enter the next town, the game gives me an error, something about an integer being divided by zero (didn't get a screenshot).

The same thing happens when I install either Wasteland Merc 2 or 1 with or without the patches. Then again, while playing FO2, it gives me the same error sometimes. This is getting really frustrating

Any help?
I had the same problem and gave up because I was bored with it all anyway. At first I thought it was because modern hard drives have
a size far beyond what the systems had back then [when the games
were made], so the "available space" would be listed as zero after
a certain amount had been filled up. Maybe that number is being used
in some formula somewhere in the program. Keep checking the
compatibility modes. Maybe they get switched back. I don't know.
The mods obviously have to be able to get their shit to work in order
to make and test this stuff. Maybe ask them.
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Here are some things that may be wrong.

*You didnt remove the patch000.dat file from you fallout 2 folder.
*You didnt set Fallout 2.exe file to win98 competability by rightklicking it and entering properties and doing so.
*You downloaded the mod and it has damaged files. Reinstaling it or redownloading it sometimes helps.
*You are not using humangous instalation

Plenty of people are playing this mod with absolutly no problem to run. So its really not mods problem.
ecienavxela
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ecienavxela »

I am pretty sure I backed up the /data folder as well as the original exe and patch file, and then renamed the patch file to something else, as was recommended in the instructions. No go.

I have to check on that "win98 compatibility" thing, tho. I always, ALWAYS install FO2 on drive D (where all the games are) and do a complete 600+MB full install, so no problem there.

While we're on the topic, can anyone tell me what this merc mod does, in greater and better detail than on the website instructions?

Also, what patches do I have to apply? Can I get by with only the offical patch or do I have to go to 1.05 or something?

Thanks!
- Ice
Our Host!