Fallout in windowed mode?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Fallout in windowed mode?

Post by Senor Deluxe »

Um, I got a question: Since I just bought a 15"TFT-Display, Fallout is looking really horrible now with the resolution interpolated. Is there any way to run it in windowed mode instead of fullscreen? Or maybe another possibility to run it with original 800x600? Please...
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

That's easy. Run linux.
------------------
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

Serious help would be appreciated as well.
Beef
Respected
Respected

Post by Beef »

I've also wondered about this and the possibility of running more than one program alongside Fallout, like, say a music program of mine... And yes, my computer will be able to handle both at once, it's a mammoth. As yet I have not been told a way that has worked at all... But my 15"er doesn't cause any problems with Fallout, maybe you can tweak around in some of the program files and options to find different resolutions you can run it on? :?
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

Hm, it´s not that it causes real problems, it behaves exactly the way it should: it displays the 800x600 res with its 1024x768 (physical) pixels, so that´s why it looks a bit blurred.

I´d like to run it so that every "game" pixel is represented by exactly one physical pixel. Otherwise it looks just too smooth, somehow wrong...

I tried to modify the .cfg file but found nothing of interest. Anyone any other idea?
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

Do what Saint_Proverbius said.

It really helps!

It helped me a lot. I just love not having to worry about programs that crash and bring down the entire system and forcing me to reboot.
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

Hm, this is really no option for me. I´m not too happy with Windows either. But I just switched from Mac to PC for the same reasons that won´t allow me to run linux. I do need a number of programs for my work which are only available for PC. Sad, but I wouldn´t worry too much, if at least Fallout would look the way it did on my old monitor.

So, there´s ABSOLUTELY NO WAY?! Maybe if I´ll sit down 2 meters away from my display, wearing dark sunglasses...
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

I guess you can try playing around with the display options.
Probably won't work, but it might do something.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Senor Deluxe wrote:Serious help would be appreciated as well.
I was being serious. You want to run Fallout in a window, the only way to do it is under linux with WineX.
------------------
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Lemme guess, WineX is a Windows Emulator that can be run with Linux, right?

Where can one get WineX?
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

usually with other apps/progs you can bring up the Shortcut's propertys, and in the line with like "E:\Program Files\Interplay\Fallout\falloutw.exe"
you can type in -w, so it would be like:
"E:\Program Files\Interplay\Fallout\falloutw.exe" -w
wiht a space between the " and the -w

dont be suprised if it doesnt work though
Senor Deluxe
Respected
Respected

Post by Senor Deluxe »

Ok, thanks a lot everybody! Seems like there´s no quick and easy solution to my problem... Sorry SP, I thought you were making jokes while I´m suffering. ;)
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Hah, no, every now and than I'm straight forward for a change. ;)
------------------
Kozmo_Naut
Respected
Respected

Post by Kozmo_Naut »

If you're using a 15" TFT display, I am pretty certain that you can change some options if the TFT display's driver that will make it stop resizing programs that run at a lower resolution.

I know my dad made his old laptop do it, but he can't remember how he did it...

EDIT: And just about all windows programs that don't require directx can run under Wine. WineX is a version of Wine that can run directx games reasonably well. But I think some older games like Fallout can run under Wine without any major problems.

Wine is free, but sadly WineX isn't and it requires a monthly fee to use. :(

http://www.winehq.com <- Wine

http://www.transgaming.com <- WineX
d0gm3at
SDF!
SDF!

Post by d0gm3at »

Beef wrote:I've also wondered about this and the possibility of running more than one program alongside Fallout, like, say a music program of mine... And yes, my computer will be able to handle both at once, it's a mammoth. As yet I have not been told a way that has worked at all... But my 15"er doesn't cause any problems with Fallout, maybe you can tweak around in some of the program files and options to find different resolutions you can run it on? :?
Well, I heard that if you start some MP3's before you start running Fallout, that they play over the Fallout music and sound effects. :wink:
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

You run programs when you play Fallout, everyone does.
Even if you don't know it.
Sometimes the programs might only be Systray and Explorer, but I consider those programs. You run Windows while you run Fallout.

I run programs while i play Fallout all the time. (Browsers, other Games, other stuff too.)
Use Alt+Tab to switch in between the programs.
Our Host!