Word Filter

Make dumb suggestions so we can ignore them. I'm lovin' it.

Turn off computer?

Turn off
41%
Stand by
No votes
Restart
12%
Cancel
47%

Total votes: 17

Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

I wish that Susan is unasshatted.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

I wish DAC would never turn into another NMA. Fuck censorship.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Spazmo wrote:Do tell, DU, have you ever seen a forum poll that wasn't worthless garbage? Surely it'd be easier to disable polls altogether than to allow people to walk into this trap of yours?
It's not whether the poll is worthless garbage or not, it's whether the poll has any relevance on the thread. For example, Hatman's poll here while "worthless garbage" actually has slome relevance on the thread in question.
atoga wrote:Shut up, jew.
Congratulations! Asshat is you!

As for who's asking for all of this? The community is. I can point to several threads in this forum which all indicate a huge problem exists on DAC which the community wants resolved. I am simply doing my job as administrator and enforcing what the community wants.
As I said, I am simply implementing the communities wishes for "more moderation". We tried in the past with Atoga as a mod but he clearly wasn't suitable - people complaining about locked threads and the decisions he made. Now I am merely enforcing the communities new desires.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

i think you are just fighting the whiners instead of the spammers.

FMF PROJECT MANAGER
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

Wow, DU is turning into a total flower.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:i think you are just fighting the whiners instead of the spammers.
I'm sure there are people here who consider you to be a spammer. Should you go in asshats too?

... or whom, in your esteemed opinion, are the spammers here?
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

A desperate users plea?

As far as I understood, he's responsible for 7428
posts.. of which half is spam! And that ½ is almost double my entire load of posts, and I don't consider myself a spammer, nor a quiet poster.
:?

I've only recently begun making oneliners, and swearing beyond any good reason... that's the DAC influence for you...

What I think is going on, is that an easy solution is trying to be found.
The only solution which doesn't involve blacklisting people(asshatting or whatever), and generally pissing people off like almost every other board out there (Remember planetdiablo?), is to ACTIVELY MODERATE the boards...

That involves removing posts containing "Shut up jew", and then sending a PM. It involves splitting threads. It involves banning a few assholes along the way as well..

I don't know whether you don't know this, or you just want out easy..
Testicular Pugilist
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Smiley wrote:A desperate users plea?
Are you trying to suggest that all the complaints being made are by spammers themselves and that most users of DAC actually don't mind the racist remarks, single word replies, over-use of smileys and lack of any intellectual discussion?
Smiley wrote:I've only recently begun making oneliners, and swearing beyond any good reason... that's the DAC influence for you...
It will be the DAC influence no more!
Smiley wrote:I don't know whether you don't know this, or you just want out easy..
I'm like google. I only implement solutions that are scaleable. Your "solution" (if I could even call it that) requires having someone on staff who actually gives a damn. We had some of those but whenever they did anything, we got a raft of complaints about threads being locked and claims of too much "moderation". What they judged to be "unreasonable" was perfectly fine for others yet when they toned it down, they weren't doing enough!!
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

I hate quote answering... But you leave me no choice warrior!
DarkUnderlord wrote: Are you trying to suggest that all the complaints being made are by spammers themselves and that most users of DAC actually don't mind the racist remarks, single word replies, over-use of smileys and lack of any intellectual discussion?
Most complaints either come from Megatron or susan because "even spamming isn't fun anymore" =/
Well most official complaints anyway, it's not like I can read your PM's now, is it.

DarkUnderlord wrote: Your "solution" (if I could even call it that) requires having someone on staff who actually gives a damn.

I don't give a damn. I give a right fuck about this board, which is the only one I've bothered sticking with since the gamespy days.
DarkUnderlord wrote:We had some of those but whenever they did anything, we got a raft of complaints about threads being locked and claims of too much "moderation". What they judged to be "unreasonable" was perfectly fine for others yet when they toned it down, they weren't doing enough!!
I remember when I was a mod.. I did good. except for the deal with guardian, which was pretty much a private war being waged, and which went deeper than just DAC.

What did you expect though? that users will come up thanking you?
Taking your hand, slapping the high five, kissing you on the cheek?

No one wants to be moderated! No one wants their "free speech" or "free time to act as an asshole on teh intarweb" taken away.
except that's the way it is, you either tolerate mods or you don't.
The latter often includes warnings and bans, but I don't think this board is ready for that in any way..

Think of it as a shit-shoveling job. The horses who surround you are providing the floor with juicy shit, and your job is to shovel it out, and clean it up, remove the traces.

Then there are some of the horses who shit out dry shit. This dry shit you like, because you can let it be.
It's almost rewarding, even though its still shit, because it doesn't mess your floor up, and noone else minds it. Some might even laugh at it because it's shaped like the DAC logo.

Anyway, I don't want to be against you man, I just don't want to see my DAC go down, and that includes its users.
Testicular Pugilist
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Smiley wrote:Well most official complaints anyway, it's not like I can read your PM's now, is it.
No, very few PM's have been sent regarding most issues. Usually it's someone complaining after they get an asshating and not before.
Smiley wrote:Most complaints either come from Megatron or susan because "even spamming isn't fun anymore" =/
If that's the case then, are susan and megatron the problem?
Smiley wrote:I don't give a damn. I give a right fuck about this board, which is the only one I've bothered sticking with since the gamespy days.
You'd want to keep it moderated?
Smiley wrote:What did you expect though? that users will come up thanking you? Taking your hand, slapping the high five, kissing you on the cheek?
Yes. People should be grateful when I go out of my way to implement their requests. It's the least they can do. Megatron was very grateful initially when I implemented his word filter request but then most upset when he got asshated by someone elses.
Smiley wrote:No one wants to be moderated! No one wants their "free speech" or "free time to act as an asshole on teh intarweb" taken away.
That's where you're wrong! Clearly, people here are begging for moderation!! That's why we have thw word filter in the first place and that's why we're cracking down on people who post stupid things.
Smiley wrote:except that's the way it is, you either tolerate mods or you don't. The latter often includes warnings and bans, but I don't think this board is ready for that in any way..
That's why we have asshats, which has been an effective strategy for toning people's behaviour to date.
Smiley wrote:Anyway, I don't want to be against you man, I just don't want to see my DAC go down, and that includes its users.
So what would you suggest? Moderators that everyone hates and complains about so much that we're forced to take them off staff - or they leave because they're clearly not wanted in the job - as has happened in the past? What too, would they be moderating? What kind of guidelines would they adhere to? The word filter - after being a request from the community - has been nothing but critiscised at every turn. Either Megatron's request was initially flawed (Megatron = wrong) or the community doesn't know what it wants. What kind of people would we get to navigate this mind-field of indecisiveness? How can anyone walk that fine a line? Implement something that gets asked for, then turn around and pull it out because people don't like it anymore. How long do we keep that up?

It's what we've done in the past. Complaints were made about the nature of DAC and the direction the site was heading. Teatime and others worked to clean it up - people didn't want it so we stopped. Now we're back where we were (Ooh! All three "we'res" in the one sentence. Neat). I've implemented a strategy to clean it up again but now I'm coming under attack for being a "bad moderator" and "the worst moderator ever". Do I undo all that I've done and we go back to what DAC was before and simply ignore any complaints that say otherwise (given as you pointed out, that most of those complaints appear to be coming from the spammers themselves - who almost seem to lament the fact that what were once "their" practices have become mainstream)?
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Yes. People should be grateful when I go out of my way to implement their requests. It's the least they can do.
Thanks for doing your best man.

I guess we just have different viewpoints, and if mine were ever to be deemed effective, I'd probably be moderating right now.

So gimme a message if it comes up. Until then I'll enjoy the show of watching people making asses of themselves, until the board is somewhat "normal" again.
Testicular Pugilist
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

DarkUnderlord wrote:Community request for a word filter
Does one thread in the suggestion forum mean the whole community wants a word filter? Megatron's suggestion wasn't exactly greeted with "Yeah, a good idea". In fact, if you'd read the posts in the thread, you'd notice that Megatron was the only one in favour of that suggestion. Yet it was implemented.

Interestingly, most of them who made those suggestions are currently asshats. Sending them to the Wasteland doesn't exactly encourage them to post more reasonable posts, or does it?
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Post by DarkUnderlord »

VasikkA wrote:Does one thread in the suggestion forum mean the whole community wants a word filter? Megatron's suggestion wasn't exactly greeted with "Yeah, a good idea". In fact, if you'd read the posts in the thread, you'd notice that Megatron was the only one in favour of that suggestion. Yet it was implemented.
My poor dear VasikkA, let's go through the first two pages of this thread that occured before the filter was in place.
  • Megatron: Word filter.
    Thor Kaufman: No.
    PiP: We have asshats for people who are problems.
    ApTyp: Spam
    Spazmo: Yeah, maybe it's time for some asshat pain?
    hat_man99: Spam
    POOPERSCOOPER: Not that bad but maybe something should be done.
    atoga: The idea is "fresh and interesting". Use it.
    Blargh: Spam
    Nicolai: Spam
    VasikkA: No
    DarkUnderlord: Spam. (Word filter implemented).
    Subhuman: Ban naked lunch
I count 1, 2... 3.. 5 replies that are for "some kind of action along the lines suggested". That's out of 13 replies, 5 of which are spam and 2 of which were clearly against any proposal. Isn't that enough people? Your statement that "not a single person agreed" is total bullshit as you can see. Some of those people who asked for it are even well-known members of the community, who's word simply must hold more weight than a user who hasn't been as active anywhere near as much.

Now I should wait until a suggestion is greeted with over-whelming acceptance before I do anything about it? Perhaps a poll on the front page for every suggestion and if get 80 votes and more than 50% of the community wanting something, it's implemented? Maybe we could establish a committee...

How, really, do you propose we implement anything under that method if 5 people out of 13 say "something needs to be done", only 2 are in the minority against and 5 people simply post crap?
VasikkA wrote:Interestingly, most of them who made those suggestions are currently asshats.
Odd that, isn't it?
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

If you need me, I'll be in the Wasteland, with my fellow congoids. This is bullshit.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

DarkUnderlord wrote:I count 1, 2... 3.. 5 replies that are for "some kind of action along the lines suggested".
I can only count 2 persons in the whole thread directly in favour of a word filter. Is that enough to draw a conclusion of the general opinion of the community? I think not. Yet, a word filter was implemented. Many agree that some action should be taken, some even suggested alternative methods, but the overall impression is that this was a hasty decision.
Some of those people who asked for it are even well-known members of the community, who's word simply must hold more weight than a user who hasn't been as active anywhere near as much.
Both of them who directly supported this idea are now asshatted, well-known members of the community or not.
Now I should wait until a suggestion is greeted with over-whelming acceptance before I do anything about it? Perhaps a poll on the front page for every suggestion and if get 80 votes and more than 50% of the community wanting something, it's implemented? Maybe we could establish a committee...
If that helps in forming a general opinion, why not. I do not see how a simple yay/nay vote of community issues would hurt. Oh, but this is interweb, not democracy. Forgot about that.

I'm still in favour of direct actions against certain individuals who simply fail to post anything reasonable, whether it's intentional or not.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

VasikkA wrote:I'm still in favour of direct actions against certain individuals who simply fail to post anything reasonable, whether it's intentional or not.
Would you like to point them out?

Let me try...

I'd say Megatron has bothered me since gayspy, even though I've stood up for him along others, and I think DAC would've gone in a different direction, were it not for him.

*BUT* I also think that he's not "the problem". He's contributed with some... unique things to DAC ever since, and is a part of it, more than a member.

Susan spams, yes, but is he a problem? I think his fase or whatever is nearing its end.

Naked_Lunch has a vocabulary consisting of congoid, swell guy and jew as far as I know. If he's actually contributed with anything worthwhile, I have no idea. I don't exactly look for good things about him.

Then there are "people" or whatever like Matrix which almost exist as comical relief. I don't know wether or not it's meg in diguise, and I don't give a fuck, but the board doesn't need more people like that.
weed them out while they're young.

can't mention other people from the tip of my tongue, I honestly don't remember, or want to remember the entire shit-list of users who are a "problem" or whatever..

How about you? Want to contribute?
Testicular Pugilist
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

If there aren't any 'problems', then what are we whining about? Megatron, ApTyp, Sauron, Naked_Lunch and even hat_man are capable of typing decent posts, but the problem is that they've had the possibility to post whatever they want and they've utilized that possibility; thanks to absolutely no moderating at all, until recently. I wouldn't ban anyone right now as that'd be dumb, but time will show if they can heed the warnings. I assume all asshats are warned... ?
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Don't know. Ah well, maybe one should take a break from the boards, and come back in half a year or two...

except I'm so fucking bored at work so I don't know what else I should be doing..
Testicular Pugilist
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

But don't forget, this is internet, serious business. :chick:
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

VasikkA wrote:If there aren't any 'problems', then what are we whining about? Megatron, ApTyp, Sauron, Naked_Lunch and even hat_man are capable of typing decent posts, but the problem is that they've had the possibility to post whatever they want and they've utilized that possibility; thanks to absolutely no moderating at all, until recently. I wouldn't ban anyone right now as that'd be dumb, but time will show if they can heed the warnings. I assume all asshats are warned... ?
I'm not an asshat D:
Our Host!