Is it a bird? Is it an airplane? No, it's SAVE GECKO QUEST!

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Kashluk

Is it a bird? Is it an airplane? No, it's SAVE GECKO QUEST!

Post by Kashluk »

This debate has been on and on and on for ages! But now I shall reveal the truths of this unholy matter...

So can you have a happy ending for Gecko in Fallout 2?

The answer is..... YES YOU CAN!!!

My little brother (12 years old) played FO2 through on friday and we watched the ending-shit after the Enclave together. Arroyo that, arroyo such yadi yadi yadi.... until Vault City:

"The population stagnated... The power sources of Vault 8 weren't enough... NCR takes over..."

And Gecko:

"Because you fixed the Power plant Gecko has been able to trade energy for resources and medication. There lies an uneasy peace between Gecko and Vault City."

Yeeehaa, there you go all you non-believing sob's!!! Muahahaha!!! :twisted:
HappySuitcase Man
Regular
Regular

Post by HappySuitcase Man »

Huh? Who said that Gecko doesn't have a happy ending? Not giving Vault City the economic holo-disk (from that Gecko Ghoul) means that Vault City never thinks of using the fixed Gecoko Power Plant for power. Or maybe not, since I haven't played the game in a long time.
This is my signature.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Everybody (all the dudes back in V13 & ol' DAC) claims that there is a bug which denies you from achieving this ultimate aspect of victory!!!

They say, that "It exists only in the notice list, it can't be accomplished!"

But I say "Yes it can and I will prove it!!!"
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I've done that before just fix the reactor but don't initailize the reactor. And don't give the economic disc to anyone or just don't take it. I also didn't kill the Raiders so VC joined NCR, but thats a different story. :wink:
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I beleved you, broken Hills is the place that can't get a happy ending though.
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

I've extracted the master.dat file and come to the following conclusion:
Gecko have a total of five endings, the best one is this:
--------
1:Optimizing Gecko's power plant became the first step in forging a spirit of cooperation between Gecko and Vault City.
2:Gecko's increased power production became instrumental in helping Vault City's expansion.
3:The harsh xenophobia of many of Vault City's leaders faded into obscurity while ghoul and human labored side-by-side to create a center of learning and tolerance where once had stood only enmity and distrust.
--------

And the "best" one for Broken Hills (out of three aviable) is:
--------
1:With the destruction of the conspiracy to destroy the mutants, Broken Hills began to thrive.
2:Then the uranium ran out.
3:The city, having lost its sole reason for existing, slowly dispersed.
4:The residents carried their riches with them, leaving the place a wind-swept, desolate ghost town.
5:A few hold-outs remained, attempting to eke out a pathetic existence, but eventually, they too, disappeared.
--------
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Damn it... I once had a real fucking flamewar over at the Vault 13.net, but here you guys seem to actually take me seriously!!! No one's said a thing against me yet 8O
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Roving_Rabid_Raider »

Well since I saw your post about a happy ending for Gecko, I started a new game already :wink:
Thanks for showing it too
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

flame Kashluk

Post by Stainless »

Well, maybe this will make you happy Kashluk. You're an idiot.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: flame Kashluk

Post by Slider »

Stainless wrote:Well, maybe this will make you happy Kashluk. You're an idiot.
I second that... :lol:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Got something against me, SS? :twisted:
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

I think you'll get a happy ending if you fix the reactor, optimize it, but don't tell Senior Council Member McClure about it. (IMHO he's a much bigger jerk than Lynette, 'cause she shows her biggotry, but McClure do not show it until you tell him that the reactor has been optimized, then he enslaves the people of Gecko... :x
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Nah, my bro fixed it, optimized it, pissed off Lynette and bragged to everyone how he saved Gecko and Vault City from total destruction :wink:

Result -> Happy ending + tons of karma & positive reputation
Richy
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

kashluk, why would you claim this as an unholy matter?
i fail to see the "unholy" aspect...

-Richy

Post by Kashluk »

It is unholy because the debate has been on the Vault13.net for years by now! And some people have rrrrreally strong opinions about that the ending I explained above can't be accomplished...
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

just completed FO2 this evening myself and Gecko had a good ending, its not really very hard to get
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

I've completed Fo2 hundereds of times and got the good ending from Gecko, Umpas right, it's quite easy to get. I'm working at the moment at doing it in the most evil way possible :twisted: (not killing everyone I meet, that's not the way to be truely evil).
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Good for you, join the dark side, who cares about Gecko {mutters} damn muties.... :P
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Ooo00ooooOooh! And what do we have here? :twisted:

Lynette - the bitch - Jr!!! :P
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Hello. I'm here to haunt you.

You see, the problem is that you didn't find THE good ending.

To have "the good ending", you'll need to get the medical supplies from McClure and deliver them to Gecko, in which case you'll get the "super-duper good ending", where Vault City "learns tolerance" and accepts Gecko.

Of course it's impossible to do that since there's a bug in McClure's script not giving you the dialog option to request for the medical supplies, and yet another one in Frank Horrigan's "killed" script which doesn't trigger that ending anyway.

So the best ending you can get, without actually fixing those 2 bugs is simply attained by not optimizing the Gecko plant, thus attaining an "uneasy truce" between Vault City and Gecko - as given you optimize it, you'll get the slavery ending.

This, by the way, is what's always been said on Vault13 - coming from there myself.
Our Host!