Morrowind with Guns

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Morrowind with Guns

Post by Aonaran »

I realize that there is alot of fear about F3 becomming "Morrowind with Guns." However I think you are all looking at it all wrong. If you've been following the progress of Oblivion then perhaps you know that a better way of looking at it is as Half-Life 2 with Mutants. Or Morrowind with a Cybernetic body, the penis of an ape and the head of Lord Humungus. I was reading some articles yesterday and some high up at bethesda hinted strongly that they were casting aside the 3/4s overhead 2D style and would probrably go with the Eldar Scrolls gaming perspective seeing that as what they could make good. If I didn't think that Bethsoft has made great strides since Morrowind that would put me in a rage, however I think the next installment of ES series is going to blow everything to date out of the water and I think F3 is going to go so far as to make it it's bitch. So, Innovation and something new is welcome here, the series is after all 9 years behind the loop, had there been a continued series of good games from Fallout 2 til now this very well might be what it would have evolved into. My two cents, feel free to bitch.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Your fan fiction blew.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I suppose fan fiction is the appropriate forum for complete bullshit, but I must say, I'm still quite baffled by this.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Moved to a reasonable forum
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I realized posting this thought on this particular forum would be something of an uphill battle but I also kinda expected something resembling a competent response.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

You posted it in the Fan Art forum!
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

hahhaha, whoopsy. where was it moved to?
Last edited by Aonaran on Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

Fan art? Does that mean that this is supposed to be a piece of fan fiction?

On perspective & FO3: We'll see what we get & then decide if it's something we wish to play. I'll probably give it a shot no matter what viewpoint is used & gameplay style given, as long as it is an RPG. Still, if it isn't somewhat familliar to players, then it might be a decent game but won't be a Fallout game to me.
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

ahh, found it, glory be to the sun god.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I'm kinda weary of the switch to first person myself and will miss the overhead perspective in that I can still play the oringinal Fallouts and enjoy them. However I think the genre is kind of dying. Tim Shaeffer was the master of point and click and made some amazing games but even he has abandoned the genre he mastered and moved on to new gamming styles with Psychonauts. Like I said, I think had there been a competent line of Fallout games following the first two the evolution of gameplay very well might have ended up where Bethsoft is proposing to take it with the third installment. However that wasn't the case and Interplay and it's subsidiaries managed to squander their legacy with tactical squad based combat and lame console action adventure games. While I still want an overhead 3/4s game that plays like the original I just don't see it being good or innovative anymore, that certainly wouldn't breathe any new life into the series. Had it been five years earlier I'd say hell yeah, don't change a thing, but that time is long past. With a level of detail, interaction, plot and character development matching or exceeding that which Oblivion (next Eldar Scrolls game in line after Morrowind) proposesd (and from all early displays meets) then I think FO3 will be an amazing success. What is going to make it or break it however is if it, as you said, still has the feel of Fallout. Since Bethesda has been talking about making a Fallout game for MANY years now (internally) I don't think they are going to sell it out and make it mindless button mashing like what was done with the Console Fallout game. So there, a more refined rant sans ape genetalia and the Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla himself.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

soo... what's new? other than nice thread placement :)
In short, yuo're saying FPP os OK, because iso isn't fun anymore and we gotta move on? Uhh... OK... and now to TB combat again D;

BTW, I mostly agree with Lark on the subject of perspective.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: Morrowind with Guns

Aonaran wrote:I was reading some articles yesterday and some high up at bethesda hinted strongly that they were casting aside the 3/4s overhead 2D style and would probrably go with the Eldar Scrolls gaming perspective seeing that as what they could make good.
Why do so many people think that the classic Fallout viewpoint dictates 2D?
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I actually wasn't really thinking that, is that really even the point?
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

"First Person Turn Based Combat."

I need to sleep now.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
PiP

Post by PiP »

MadBill wrote:"First Person Turn Based Combat."

I need to sleep now.
that's already been done and already discussed here, or my memory fails me... oh wait - it does - I can't remember who did that and what thread was this discussed in :?
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

"Incubation" was turn-based with optional first-person camera view. Completely functional, but mostly useless.

"Betrayal at Krondor" travel mode was turn-based and FP. Your opponents on the World Map won't move until you do. Combat was 3d person, though.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Keep it Fallout.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Morrowind with Guns

Post by Killzig »

Aonaran wrote: I was reading some articles yesterday and some high up at bethesda hinted strongly that they were casting aside the 3/4s overhead 2D style and would probrably go with the Eldar Scrolls gaming perspective seeing that as what they could make good. If I didn't think that Bethsoft has made great strides since Morrowind that would put me in a rage
They've really made great strides with that ASSCAM.

From this

To this

I really like how they put the screenshot through the blur filters in photoshop to get rid of all the jaggies. Powerful stuff.

:finger:
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

hhhahaa, I said if you've been READING about oblivion, not looking at pretty pictures. Plus if you are still wanting a 3/4s overhead view I wouldn't think graphics would be top on your mind. Also, back to the reading, most of the articles i've read that feature people who saw the live demo at E3 say that graphically it is the best looking game they have ever seen and that the screens or even promotonal video that has been released don't even begin to do it justice. Like I said, embrace literacy and embrace "THE FUTURE" as the title of the forum dictates.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Heh, i'll even make it easy and give you a place to start.
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/previews/de ... ionid=1599

You'll be hard pressed to find a competent article that covered the footage and didn't match the enthusiasm of this article.
Our Host!