problems with fallout tactics

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
xloudandnoisy
SDF!
SDF!

problems with fallout tactics

Post by xloudandnoisy »

interplay's site is down, so i picked a random forum to seek help with.

but i digress. fallout tactics installs fine on my computer (xp, well above requirements) but when i try and play the game, when i start it, the screen just goes black. when i ctrl+alt+del i see an error message stating "C:\dev\phoenix\display\directx7\dd7_display.cpp9715): **fatal error**: Could not create primary and back surfaces." this is then followed by an error message stating that the application abnormally quit. what confuses me about the directx7 part of the message, is that i have directx9 installed :/

any input? thanks.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Don't know about that error message, but there's an old error when starting FOT for the first time and getting a black screen. It was to do with incompatability with the Miles system, try deleting two files from the miles folder.

Mssa3d.m3d

&

Mssa3d2.m3d
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Shadowbird
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shadowbird »

Or better just renaming, in case it's not the root of the problem. There was a thread on NMA on this, IIRC.

- [ EDIT ] -

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6416

I'm pretty sure there was another one, but I can't seem to find it. Anyway, the one thing on everyone's mind seems to be "update your viedo card drivers" (or revert to older ones).
Death is immortal.
You are not.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Shadowbird wrote:Or better just renaming, in case it's not the root of the problem.
Well the recycle bin and restore are there for a reason. :)
Shadowbird
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shadowbird »

1337 h4x0r$ p00wn recycle bins! :D But seriously, if you say delete, then be ready that it might just as well be understood as delete, not "move to recycle bin".
Death is immortal.
You are not.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

True but this is the internet, where you can give complex step by step instructions and people will still do their own thing and then complain your advice didn't work.
Shadowbird
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shadowbird »

True, true. Still, if you tell someone to delete a file, and they delete it (not move to R-Bin), and then something doesn't work, it's not really their fault now, is it?

Ah, whatever. Peace. :)
Death is immortal.
You are not.
Our Host!