Fallout 3 commandos

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Fallout 3 commandos

Post by Someguy353 »

hum... just wondering what if fallout 3 is a mix of commandos 2 and fallout................

Commandos 2's detail, action(but with the option of turnbase)
Fallout's world, any everthing else
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

it would fucking suck. What the fuck is wrong with you?
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

hum..... can you explain what you hate about the idea? Since I consider Commandos 2 a half RPG with out the charactor development system. I've always wonder how you'll fight a bunch raider in commandos 2 style.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: Fallout 3 commandos

Post by Retlaw83 »

Someguy353 wrote:hum... just wondering what if fallout 3 is a mix of commandos 2 and fallout................

Commandos 2's detail, action(but with the option of turnbase)
Fallout's world, any everthing else
It would be a Fallout Tactics 2 that was truer to the story than the first one.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Arjuna
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Arjuna »

I think what he's trying to say is to use commando's visual feel. The detailed 2d backgrounds with 3d characters. The rest would be pure fallout.
For a theif character, commando's type gameplay would be really cool.
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

Thank you Arjuna! It's just what I was thinking ^_^

I want to add another few thing that's from Commandos 2 which may work well in fallout

The ability to lay down onto the ground to increase hit point and provide cover.

Able to drive within the city not only in world map

The ability to swim. I've only seen Commandos game pulling this one off, many other topdown games just throw it away. I think swiming will allow different way to gain access to the same area.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Someguy353 wrote:hum..... can you explain what you hate about the idea? Since I consider Commandos 2 a half RPG with out the charactor development system.
hay hay
I consider raping your mom half an rpg. but with no character dev sys.
just shut the fuck up already will you.

I think what he's trying to say is to use commando's visual feel. The detailed 2d backgrounds with 3d characters.
bloody weird way of saying it he has.
For a theif character, commando's type gameplay would be really cool.
nim not quite sure what youre getting at lad....
isnt commandos a realtime tactical squad game? with pause. Or am I really confused here.

Someguy353 wrote:Thank you Arjuna! It's just what I was thinking ^_^

I want to add another few thing that's from Commandos 2 which may work well in fallout

The ability to lay down onto the ground to increase hit point and provide cover.

Able to drive within the city not only in world map

The ability to swim. I've only seen Commandos game pulling this one off, many other topdown games just throw it away. I think swiming will allow different way to gain access to the same area.
laying down is aight. however it shouldnt provide extra HP, and only provide cover at certain times.

why?

you wouldnt wanna swim in the FO universe, too filthy water, and thus noone wants to swin and nevar learn it.

you really sound like you wanna make FO3 with realtime combat..... though this may just be me misinterpreting you.
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

Mismatch wrote:
why?

you wouldnt wanna swim in the FO universe, too filthy water, and thus noone wants to swin and nevar learn it.

you really sound like you wanna make FO3 with realtime combat..... though this may just be me misinterpreting you.
2. To be able to crush people just like Fallout Tactics

3. In Deus Ex you get water that are too filthy to swim in too, but you still swim in it. Use some kind of drug to lower the possibilties to get poisoned or radirated. Just like the time I wondered, why are may in the grow when the chance of survival is near 0........... =P

I was also think including swim ability will extent replay values

*--------------------------- New

Include collectors who will buy special items that are useless to you. This will get people comming back to find items. Also have special items allow you to locate sepcial areas, kind of like the bonus books in Commandos 2
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

2. To be able to crush people just like Fallout Tactics
youre b&
I was also think including swim ability will extent replay values
how exactly will swimming increase replay value???
Include collectors who will buy special items that are useless to you.
your brain.
Twigman
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Twigman »

Someguy353 wrote:hum..... can you explain what you hate about the idea? Since I consider Commandos 2 a half RPG with out the charactor development system. I've always wonder how you'll fight a bunch raider in commandos 2 style.
Now. I just have to ask. WTF is the reason anyone would play an RPG if it didn't have a char dev system. making your shit bigger and better is what it's all about.
"Fallout is Brought to you by Team Fallout, Interplay Games, and the Letter Q."
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Mismatch wrote:how exactly will swimming increase replay value???
Potentially it could allow other avenues of locational problem solving. If there is water in the game (a safe enough bet), it will be a bit jarring if the player is completely unable to interact with it. Think of Jagged Alliance and the way swimming was employed with it. For example, using a body of water to bypass or sneak up on enemies. Assuming for a moment Bethesda decide to keep a traditional, isometric viewpoint for Fallout 3 ; swimming would fairly obviously not be quite as versatile and strategically useful as it was in say, Deus Ex, almost solely because of the view point. However, with clever design swimming could facilitate a similar, though probably lesser level of otherwise neglected strategic options.

I can't see it being a vital, must include feature. But it could be useful and worthwhile. The rest of Someguy353's ideas I'm not so sure of. :drunk:
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

I've seen Swimming work well on isometric viewpoint, such as commandos 2.

I'll clear my statement about Commandos 2, I'm not saying it's a RPG, I'm just saying that it has RPG elements, such a inventory and other things that I can't quite point out right now. I believe both Fallout and Commandos 2 have their strong points, I was think that it can used to mix into something wonderful and new. One other thing that I like about Both Fallout and Commandos 2 is that fact that both have great game play, but don't requires very fast system to run it on.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Blargh wrote:
Mismatch wrote:how exactly will swimming increase replay value???
Potentially it could allow other avenues of locational problem solving. If there is water in the game (a safe enough bet), it will be a bit jarring if the player is completely unable to interact with it. Think of Jagged Alliance and the way swimming was employed with it. For example, using a body of water to bypass or sneak up on enemies. Assuming for a moment Bethesda decide to keep a traditional, isometric viewpoint for Fallout 3 ; swimming would fairly obviously not be quite as versatile and strategically useful as it was in say, Deus Ex, almost solely because of the view point. However, with clever design swimming could facilitate a similar, though probably lesser level of otherwise neglected strategic options.

I can't see it being a vital, must include feature. But it could be useful and worthwhile. The rest of Someguy353's ideas I'm not so sure of. :drunk:
could be useful yes, but its still no explaination about replayability blarhrrgrjrhghr
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Hmm, I'd thought it obvious. Use your head, Mismatch. Alternate paths, methods and solutions augment replay value. Being able to swim can increase and even enrich the options available to the player. Thereby lending the game to a less linear, less wearying and (hopefully) more enjoyable experience. :drunk:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

no.
wont do.
not with swimming.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Your argument is awfully compelling . . . Are you simply unwilling, or perhaps unable to accept the possibility that swimming could improve the game ?

I'd ask you to elaborate, but if it's as well thought out, coherent and logical as some of your other contributions, there really isn't any point. :drunk:
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Twigman wrote:Now. I just have to ask. WTF is the reason anyone would play an RPG if it didn't have a char dev system. making your shit bigger and better is what it's all about.
Urm no RPGs are about roleplaying, character interaction and most importantly choice and consequences. Character development is not what it's all about, roleplaying forums do fine without stats and skills etc.

Why is it that 90% of 'what I think would be cool in FO3' type threads read more like the wish list for FOT2? A post apocalyptic scenario is a violent place and combat is always going to be a big part of any PA game, but it's not the most important part. Especially in a Fallout game, I wonder if all the people who want this combat feature or that combat feature have ever played a theif or diplomatic character in the RPGs?
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Well, technically character development is what it's all about. Just not in the munchkin sense of "everything's constantly getting bigger and better".
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Character development as in how npcs react to you depending on what you've done, maybe. Which is covered by the character interaction I mentioned. But Twiggy was talking about a character dev system which implies stats and skills and isn't the most important part of what makes an RPG a RPG. Take Dungeon Seige, that claims to be an action RPG on the box, it has a character development system but nothing else. Is it any sort of a RPG? Not in a million years.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

Hum... I've never really loved FOT, so I'm not thinking much about it and this thread don't really mentions FOT 2 or anything related to it. All I want to point out is ideas from other games such as Commandos 2, which may work in Fallout 3. Two things I see that puts the RPG tag onto games is none mission based gameplay with NPC, that have character intractions. I think that's why FOT, ZELDA and Commandos 2 didn't made it into the RPG list.

I agree with you requiem_for_a_starfury, that RPG isn't all about character development. Some RPG like Final Fantasy don't have a detail character development like Fallout or BG, you'll only level up but it's still under the RPG list.
Our Host!