Fallout 3 Graphic Poll

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.

Who Wants Fallout 3 To have Graphics Like FO1&2 or have it like FOT

2D Like the original
27%
3D like Fallout Tactics
42%
or have such high Graphic spec that it uses ever KB of you memory
30%

Total votes: 73

Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

After playing Anarchy online and seing how good they made Newland desert look and how they made it feel exactly like fallout but in 3d third person not isometric. It feels like being inside fallout and you can look up in the sky. I would rather see fallout 3 being made like that. Only important thing would be turnbased combat.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Newland desert looks just about like any other desert in existence.

You want post-apocalyptic, go out to Wartorn Valley and look at walled Old Athen in the distance.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

What about 2d mix 3d like commandos 2. Prerendered graphic aren't too bad when they are done well.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

FoT had 2D backgrounds with pre-rendered 3D characters.

Not having played Commandos 2, are you talking about actual 3D models on 2D terrain - such as in the original Sims - or the way FoT did things?
- the Vault Dweller
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

I'm pretty sure the walls, scenery and items in fallout were rendered 3d models too, you'd need extreme skills and even more extreme patience tohanddraw all those walls, items and scenery...
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

And so, FOT was completely 2D.

Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics have been all two-dimensional. Fo:BoS is an exception, but it doesn't count, now does it?

I suggest you go with 3D. When you're trying to make a huge game, it's more efficient anyway. 2D is just too much of a fuzz after you reach a certain level, 3D is more practical and *when used right* provides nearly as fine results.
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

If Fallout 3 is 3D I hope for something like NWN. But one thing I don't like 3D games is the heavy demand on the system spec. I want Fallout 3 to look good and play good on older systems, here what commandos 2 is like:
http://commandos2.euweb.cz/obrazky/screen4.jpg
http://commandos2.euweb.cz/obrazky/screen2.jpg
http://commandos2.euweb.cz/obrazky/pc4.jpg

It has 2d high very detail render with zoom and 4 way rotation. It's 3d when your inside buildings. All the charactors are rendered in full 3d! And it only requires a minimum of PII-300 64 MB RAM 16MB graphic RAM to run it, I don't see why FALLOUT 3 can't be like that.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

But think about how many different maps commandos had.

Yeah, get it now?
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

Commandos 2 have 22 maps and some of them are really huge. Loading time is very short too.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Commandos2 is fully 2d.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Someguy353 wrote:If Fallout 3 is 3D I hope for something like NWN. But one thing I don't like 3D games is the heavy demand on the system spec. I want Fallout 3 to look good and play good on older systems, here what commandos 2 is like:
http://commandos2.euweb.cz/obrazky/screen4.jpg
http://commandos2.euweb.cz/obrazky/screen2.jpg
http://commandos2.euweb.cz/obrazky/pc4.jpg

It has 2d high very detail render with zoom and 4 way rotation. It's 3d when your inside buildings. All the charactors are rendered in full 3d! And it only requires a minimum of PII-300 64 MB RAM 16MB graphic RAM to run it, I don't see why FALLOUT 3 can't be like that.
Fallout 3 can't be like that because it will be a market competitive title released probably in 2007. By then, "low-end" systems will be ones with 256mb of RAM.

While Fallout fans would buy a game with a 2D engine if it had the same depth as the first games, other people wouldn't. What are the combined sales of Fallout, Fallout 2 and Tactics? Somewhere around a million copies worldwide? In this day and age, those are laughable sales figures, and Bethesda has no reason to spend millions catering to a few hundred thousand people like some fucking charity when they can make real money by creating a game with mass appeal.

Fallout 3 will probably be top-down, because top-down games do just as well as first person ones. But it won't be turn-based - not because there isn't a market for it (Civilization 3 and the strategic level of the Total War series, anyone?) but because publishers and developers don't <i>think</i> there's a market for it.

And also, in the end, it'll be more about gang warfare and hookers instead of delicate town-by-town balance of power issues because the former sells and most RPG players (read Diablo and Morrowind fans) these days couldn't give a flying Siamese fuck about the latter.
- the Vault Dweller
mowgleh
SDF!
SDF!

Post by mowgleh »

I agree with retlaw. While I would like fo3 to look like commandos2, I dont see it happening either :-/

But I still think theres a real posibility it could be turn based, or maybe im just wishing.

Either way as long as the story line does blow ass, ill be happy, I geuss..
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

So really Fo:3 is going to be totally fucked, and now hear me through, it might have same kind of plot, same history, and same item/weapons or something, but in the way of the classic Isometric, third person, and turned based are totally going to be thrown out the door, "thats shit!!" that really upsets me, It upsets me enough where I will not be buying Fallout 3 till like 3 weeks after its release because I will have to ponder over reviews and watch previews to make the right desicion. I really hope someone see it alittle my way because if I am the only one then there is no hope.
Deadeye Dragoon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Deadeye Dragoon »

One of the "good" things about the lengthy time between Fallout 2 and 3 is the vast improvement in 3D graphics. Six years ago 2D was the clear winnar in art quality, by far, but 3D has slowly closed the gap. I wouldn't like the 3D graphics for Fallout that are found in Morrowind, too muddied for a gritty Fallout world, but hopefully the quality of Fallout: Tactics (or FO1 and 2 if you prefer) would be captured by a 3D engine of today.

So, I don't really care as long as the graphics are good. I remember four years ago I detested the idea of a 3D Fallout 3, but things have changed a lot since then.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Fallout 3 is going to be 3D, there's no doubt about that. It's how it's implemented that's important. I think the way Van Buren was headed in terms of graphics was great. The characters looked like the sprites of the originals, except they were 3D.
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

I did not like the look of Van Buren... especially the vault didn't appeal to me...and the characters looked...wierd...hard to say what was wrong with them, but they certantly weren't good...at least not to me...
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

There has been talk around the camera thing who wants the camera to be locked behind him or be totally adjustable like in Silent Storm camera.
In my words both work
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

I'm hoping it would have nice graphics, but also works will on low spec machines, such as laptops.....

Few games that seems to do that well:

Commandos 2 and 3
NOX
Divity Divine

hum... that all I can think off right now
Kurt
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Fallout 3 Graphic Poll

Post by Kurt »

Mad Max wrote:I'd like to see fallout 3 with like the original graphics it gave it an edge and low computer specs because who want to overclock just to play a complex text and graphic game
Me to but how Fallout 3 will look than Hal life 2 etc...
By the way I'm yearning for 2D graphiks from fallout 1&2...
War. War never changes...
I cry when angel deserve to die...
Cuthbert Allgood
Regular
Regular

Post by Cuthbert Allgood »

Yeah but making a game with "low end specs" like fallout 1 would not cost very much at all. infact if i had the time and a few more fallout editors i could make a new fallout game myself<with maybe a little help>
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Our Host!