ENGLAND VS AMERICA

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

ENGLAND VS AMERICA

Post by Mr. Teatime »

In terms of entertainment, England has a disproportionate amount of talent and contributions, IMO. With music, we have The Beatles, Queen, a load of bands.... films - well, not so much... TV and comedy, we have Monty Python, Fawlty Towers... The Office...

Agree/disagree? The music thing is interesting. A lot of world-class talent has come from Britain in the last 50 years.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Bleh. Both have their good moments. I generally appriciate British TV-comedy over American but I also generally appriciate American music over British. So.

THEY BOTH SUCK, OMG
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Depends on your tastes.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

I actually thought about it too.

It seems that in music the british were more productive (talking about 60s-70s era). Compare english and american prog as an example, and also other classic rock bands.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Looking over my Winamp playlist, there is a shitton of British stuff there. The Who, ELP, Queen, Stones, Yes, Supertramp, The Police, Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues, Zepplin, King Crimson and ELP, Jethro Tull, Iron Maiden, Clapton, ELO (I think), the Dire Straits (I think), Deep Purple (I'm pretty sure), David Bowie, the Clash, Bad Company and more. Obviously, the British can generally be credited with sort of inventing English and the culture of that language, but they've been kicking ass in rock and roll as much as or more than the Americans.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I think it's a generally accepted truth that Britain can school America, culturally.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Yeah, there's good American bands as well, but the sheer numbers (and the best groups) are in England.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

The British music scene is dead, it's all manufactured bands, you barely see anyone who plays an instrument any more. I get really embarressed when the latest teeny bop sensation tries to crack the American market, do we really want these people representing us to the rest of the world?

Should never of given little kiddies so much pocket money, what ever happend to being seen and not heard?

Same for tv, reality tv brings in the viewers so that's all the tv companies are interested in now, we used to produce some good drama serial's but they are few and far between these days and those that are any good tend to be one off shows. America is now the leader in dramatic serials, West Wing, CSI, Las Vegas etc etc. The only decent British serial on these days is Shameless.

The only talent we still produce are the actors and technicians, but most of them are working on foreign productions.

Interesting you have England vs America, but don't mention Britain to the last. British by birth, English by the grace of dog, eh Mr Teatime? :thumbsup:
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Heh, I'm not really loyalist at all, maybe subconsciously I am.

Anyway, I agree with your assessment. Mostly current british TV and music is utter shit, and I avoid it at all times. My favourite bands are ones that were formed decades ago.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

CSI...

Haha. *giggles* Hahahaha. HAHAHA.

HA!

I just watched an episode where they found a man with two DNA's and a bone growth malfunction or osme shit, so he had a unicorn spear growing out of his forehead, to be the murderer.

It's a ridicilous show. It's all about style, got dull after the first season, really. The same goes pretty much to Las Vegas as well. And West Wing? Honestly, I don't give a shit. I'd have to start paying a lot more attention in American politics to stretchen my attention span wide enough for that show.

You son of a dog.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

England definitely has got the classics in terms of music...My favorite band is Queen. I don't know about the music scene now in England, but there are some really great ones from the US that are around now. Some great films have come from England too, but I think its pretty obvious that America has the leg up there. Comedy TV shows, England hands down. But all other TV, America pretty much dominates.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Music is the only thing the Brits can do better than the Americans.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Kashluk wrote:CSI...

Haha. *giggles* Hahahaha. HAHAHA.

HA!

I just watched an episode where they found a man with two DNA's and a bone growth malfunction or osme shit, so he had a unicorn spear growing out of his forehead, to be the murderer.

It's a ridicilous show. It's all about style, got dull after the first season, really. The same goes pretty much to Las Vegas as well. And West Wing? Honestly, I don't give a shit. I'd have to start paying a lot more attention in American politics to stretchen my attention span wide enough for that show.
You may mock but they're tens times better than anything similar being made for British TV.

Our music scene hayday was of the late sixties, seventies and early eighties. Ever since the record producers started manufacturing bands to appeal to the kiddie audience then the British music industry has been slowly strangled.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

British TV still has some contemporary goodness. The Office, for one.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Monty makes up for a century of shit on TV.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

There's actually a load of classics in comedy over the past few years in England. The Office and The League of Gentlemen are the two greats that spring to mind.
Last edited by Mr. Teatime on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Kashluk wrote:And West Wing? Honestly, I don't give a shit. I'd have to start paying a lot more attention in American politics to stretchen my attention span wide enough for that show.
Blasphemy! West Wing is extremely good. If more people watched that show in the US, I guarantee that people would stop being so stupid about the political process.
Last edited by King of Creation on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Is England TV overloaded with Reality TV shows like the US?
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

Music is the only thing the Brits can do better than the Americans.
You are, in my opinion, incorrect. Let's see: Cars.

Right now, the only American car that I'd consider buying is the Dodge Viper SRT/10. Why only that one? A lot of American cars of this era have shitty build quality (Chevys and stuff USED to be good, but not in this generation) and most Chryslers are plain shit, IMO.

Compare that with British cars right now. OK, they don't make many, but what they do have is regularly good quality. Look at the Aston Martin DB9. That's a good car. Actually, there's a custom-built car made in Britain, called the Atom, which has 600HP per tonne and can go around the Top Gear test track almost as fast as the Ferrari Enzo. Did I mention that it's only £27,000?
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

RAK wrote:Did I mention that it's only £27,000?
So keep those DAC donations rolling in.
Our Host!