Fallouty weapons afoot

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Fallouty weapons afoot

Post by Retlaw83 »

While making my mod to change most of the weapons in FoT to their Fallout RPG counterparts, I noticed something fishy. A lot of the weapons have identical stats to Fallout ones (aside from price); for example, the 9mm Beretta is identical to the 10mm Pistol, the AK-47 was indentical to the Assault Rifle, and the Neosted Combat Shotgun was identical to the generic Combat Shotgun. To me this means that they probably began designing the game with Fallout-canon weapons. So, the big question is, why did they deviate from that?

I just thought this would be interesting to share.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

All the gun nuts were like "HEY! YOU GOTTA INCLUDE THIS! WE NEED MORE THEN JUST THE DEAGLE!" Seriousily. Real Guns Vs. Generic has been one of the longest arguments to my memory, I always prefered Generic personally. That way I can pretend its my favorite handgun or whatever.
Harriers for the cup.
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

Ditto

Quite often people take a good idea and improve on it until it sucks big nasty chunks.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

Fallout was a lot better with their post nuke weaponry than the arsenal that FOT provides gamers with.

However I must say that the desert eagle somehow always seemed to fit in. Although I think maybe it should've been more of an uncommon relic.

Anyhow. Is there an info resource that can tell me the stats of the original fallout/2 weapons?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Duck and Cover's own Fallout items page can do that. But they only have info on Fallout 1.
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

I wasn't all that appaled by FOT's selection of weapons, in fact in some ways I liked seeing real world weapons in the mix. What i did'nt likes is the dicked up ammunition selection

notable screw ups are an M14 that fires .303 ammunition

The generic 7.62mm fits both the AK and the M60 and other weapons when in fact they don't share a common ammo type. Russian 7.62 x 39 ammo (AK's) and the 7.62 x 51NATO (M14, M60 etc) should have been implimented. If you are going real world with the weapons and ammo then be accurate.

The bottom line is If they had stuck to FO 1 & 2 weaponry no irritating screw ups like that would have been possible.

There is an old saying that was coined in the early days of RPG board games, "if you want reality then you are missing the point of playing fantasy RPG's," I think that saying holds true today.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

xbow wrote: The generic 7.62mm fits both the AK and the M60 and other weapons when in fact they don't share a common ammo type. Russian 7.62 x 39 ammo (AK's) and the 7.62 x 51NATO (M14, M60 etc) should have been implimented. If you are going real world with the weapons and ammo then be accurate.
I always thought an American M60 could use Soviet rounds. I think I read that somewhere, plus in the movie Blackhawk Down one of the guys takes an AK-47 mag out of a dead militia-man's gun and sticks it in the magazine well on his M60.
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

Above is a comparison between 7.62 x 39 AK ammo(left), the 5.56mm M16 ammo(center), and the 7.62mm x 51 NATO ammunition.

The AK ammo and the M16 ammo are refered to as intermediate power cartridges while the 7.62mm Nato is full power (full power means that the cartridge is in the 30-06 or 7.62mm x 54r class.)

Intermediate cartridges were adopted first by the Germans in WW2 with the introduction of the 7.92mm Kurtz short ammo for the grand daddy of all assault rifles the MP44. The purpose of using intermediate cartridges in light assault rifles is two fold 1) the soldier can carry more ammo 2) the lighter recoil allows him to control the weapon while firing full auto. Today military full power ammo is used mostly in belt fed machine guns and sniper rifles. The FN, G3, and the M14 were selective fire rifles that used full power cartridges but the use of that full power ammunition and the weapons relativly light weight caused thesse guns to be nearly impossible to control on full automatic and hit anything.

Note: those movie guys, the M60 dosen't have a magazine well it only feeds from a belt The SAWW can feed from an M16 magazine or a belt but it is chambered for 5.56mm round

Note: AK slugs are also .311 in diameter while the 7.62Nato slugs have a diameter of .308.

Note: the Head (rim) of the AK measures .444 inch while the Head of the 7.62mm NATO measures 0.545 inch the AK round would rattel around in the M60's chamber

MP44 The mother of all assault rifles.
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

Hey. If you convert any sprites from fallout can you do the 10mm pistol? For some reason the one that you can download at MV's map hub has the half-size weapon portrait as the in game on-the-ground weapon portrait or something.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

My history teacher in high school tried to tell us that an AK-47 will chamber a 5.56x45mm cartridge. I told him otherwise, of course. Some people just don't know.

Also, some dumbass in my Political Science class at college said that the assault weapon ban banned full auto weapons. Tard. That is all the fault of the misinformation spewed out by liberal commies, though, so he has an excuse (a slim one though).
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Burnov wrote:Hey. If you convert any sprites from fallout can you do the 10mm pistol? For some reason the one that you can download at MV's map hub has the half-size weapon portrait as the in game on-the-ground weapon portrait or something.
You can get it here:
http://www.geocities.com/utscw/10mmPistol.zip

Keep in mind it's OnTheBounce's sprite and not mine, because I'm using his FO2 graphics pack as he did a much better job at creating Fallout sprites than I did.
- the Vault Dweller
xbow
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by xbow »

MurPHy

ID-10ts like that professor you spoke of are a constant source of disinformation, half truths, and outright lies. They know they are lying, but they feel that the end justifies the means. Why wouldn’t they feel that way, after all it is THEY that know what’s best for America. It sure is a shame that those degenerate punks have such a golden opportunity to poison the minds of so many young people with their ignorant bullshit.
airsoft guy
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by airsoft guy »

I addressed the issue of them using modern weapons in one of my glorious rants, Boom Bugs? Boom Bugs?! Were they drunk? It's around here somewhere, but you can also find it here.

EDIT: And I just noticed the last post in this thread was months ago, oops. It was on the front page though, so it's not like I went digging through eight pages to find it.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The thread digging's not offensive, because I'm taking a break from writing final papers at 4 in the morning and this shit entertains me.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!