Quentin Tarantino: does he suck?

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.

Does he suck?

Yes. Overrated junkie director
9%
He was good when he started out, but he's getting worse
35%
He's always been OK, nothing special
39%
He's fantastic and a brilliant director and writer
17%

Total votes: 23

Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

I enjoyed Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs, but I couldn't get in to his other works. Kill Bill 1 was interesting though.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
V for Vendetta
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by V for Vendetta »

The thing about Kill Bill Vol. 2 is that he tried to make two genre movies at once, and then add in character development. I still think it's brilliant stylistically until the very last half hour; kung-fu + western = delicious. He's in no way a brilliant writer in terms of content, but he's entirely about form and not much else -- you don't go to one of his movies expecting Scorcese.
"I used chilldren heads because I needed a universal volume unit" - Dan
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Well I tend to! And I'm disappointed!
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

V wrote:I still think it's brilliant stylistically until the very last half hour
You mean when she finally kills Bill, in a genuinely touching and clever scene? And then when she cries in the bathroom with gratitude for being reunited with her thought-to-be-dead daughter? Yeah, those parts totally sucked. Not enough fighting.

If anything, Vol. 2 proved that Tarantino isn't just about style; he can work the heartstrings, too.

By the way, the poll should have an option between "He's okay, nothing special" and "He's brilliant! Brilliant!" That's where my opinion lies.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

those scenes were fucking gay
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

I rest my case.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

No demographic has a monopoly on emotion, and Mr. Tarantino is fairly mediocre when it comes to distilling it into his films. :drunk:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

is that what happened? I thought he just walked away and fell over. I forgot about all that stuff, I kept thinking of peter sellers or whoever as the pimp and the girl with the cleft lip. Could he talk any more slower, god!
:chew:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

But do you actually go to a Tarantino movie expecting the best plot and contant?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

What else should I expect from movies?

I just watched Jackie Brown and it's probably my favourite Tarantino movie. I think it has the best story and characters? It was still a bit average though. Resevoir Dogs was ok but it seemed a bit static and nothing really happened. Pulp Fiction was to stylish. Kill Bill was a cocktail of apeshit and pure balls.

Do I like Tarantino movies as movies or as Tarantino movies? They're ok movies if you just flick through the channels and start watching one without expecting anything. If you watch one after expecting the best movie ever omg he messes around whit time WHOA, it's a bit shit.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Its a little more than a bit shit.
I love how people like Kill Bill when its an obviously rip-off of every 70s movie ever made. Don't bull that "its a tribute" bullshit either.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Can't we just say that Kill Bill is kind of fun (if you're into schlock) and leave it at that? Subhumans of the world, stop masturbating. Also, QT is kind of losing his ability to weave references into a movie convincingly. In Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, they were just kind of casually dropped, but all of a sudden in Kill Bill, the references are all incredibly obvious and dumb. What the fuck?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I heard he stopped smoking D:
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

atoga wrote:Also, QT is kind of losing his ability to weave references into a movie convincingly. In Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, they were just kind of casually dropped, but all of a sudden in Kill Bill, the references are all incredibly obvious and dumb.
Predictably, I feel the exact opposite. The pop-culture dialogue and clever references in both Dogs and Pulp seemed self-conscious and forced, like Tarantino was jacking off to his own utter hipness. But the kung-fu references in Kill Bill are basically the movie's raison d'etre, so it's kind of a moot point. It's like criticizing High Fidelity for all the music references - they're part of the package.

And for the last time, I don't think Tarantino is a genius, just a good filmmaker. And I hated Pulp Fiction - HATED - so stop trying to label me a QT fanboy. Please. It's getting old.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Well I guess you're just a chowderhead, then. Class dismissed. :chew:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
V for Vendetta
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by V for Vendetta »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:Its a little more than a bit shit.
I love how people like Kill Bill when its an obviously rip-off of every 70s movie ever made. Don't bull that "its a tribute" bullshit either.
Oh, yeah, he CLEARLY wasn't making references, nor did he want anyone to realize what he borrowed from the 70s.

It ain't bullshit, chum, those movies ARE tributes.
"I used chilldren heads because I needed a universal volume unit" - Dan
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Tributes tend to be shit.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

What was the point though? I could understand mabye having the characters talking about kung-fu films in the fast-talking motherfucker kind of way, but it's sort of the fallout 2 of movies. It would have been better to just make a fucking movie instead of making a movie about sonny chiba and uma thurmans feet.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

It wasn't about Sonny Chiba or Uma Thurman's feet.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

It was about Go Go Yubari!

Well, I wish it was D:
Our Host!