Fallout 3 plot

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Sovy Kurosei wrote:I like the two scenarios Teatime listed, although wasn't the president of the United States moved to the Enclave base when World War III started? Although the idea of somebody waking up from being held in frozen stasis would be kind of neat, especially if you are the only survivor when the player character wakes up.
I like that idea. You could even have a small quest at the start where you have to figure out how to set another machine so it wakes your significant other up and once you've managed to do that you find out that they're dead. No explanation. They're just dead and you even have the option of checking all the others out but you could also just leave the place.

Edit:

A more unique approach would be you're a brahmin herder and you wake up to your house being on fire and all and someone's taken all your brahmin. Your mission? Get your brahmin back.

Maybe when you find the person and your cattle you find something....
.... darker. Like an evil robot who is making creatures from various combinations of creatures with the FEV. I dunno. Something sinister and evil like that. :-P

You find out about it though and you fight this big boss that consists of all your brahmin and the rustlers that took them. It has all these brahmin legs so it's... The Brahmtipede!

You could also run if you've got a wussy character with no combat skills. The way to escape should be complicated though. *nods*
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Blargh wrote:NO ! No more memory loss. I and I'd wager many others have had enough of amnesiac protagonists and memory loss as a plot device in general thanks. :drunk:
Put it in at the start of the game for five minutes and then have the memory loss go away. Like a big joke. xD
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

various people wrote:The original power armor is cool.
It also would never fit on any of the females that are in the game. It's way too big. She's just too short. She might fit in the leg.....

PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

ApTyp wrote:As for the player, he could've been a young monk who grew up in some secluded monastic order in an impregnable citadel (Wasteland had that, but I forgot how these guys called themselves). And instead of looking for a water chip, he could be looking for a missing caravan, or another monk dude who failed to return. Or you could have a subplot about something poisoning the underground river the monks get their water from, so you could investigate the matter and try to stop it.
Maybe a large colony of giant vicious radioactive ants is dumping their crap in the water? Or just basically using he water and thus polluting it? Then from there you have to stop the giant ant menace. There hasn't been a giant bug menace yet unless you include Entomorph.

Edit:
Entomorph didn't have guns so I guess it doesn't count. Giant bug menace is good to go then! :-D

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Good job talking to yourself.
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

I was thinking that the player should be able to walk around in the world before the great war. They could do some things then the sirens could ring. You would then have a driving, or flying, mission to get to the vault.

You could call this Terminator 3.
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Good job talking to yourself.
Thanks. I appreciate the compliment.

Truly I lack the skill to come up with basic one-sentence posts that don't really say or even mean anything. :lalala:

atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

PaladinHeart wrote:Truly I lack the skill to come up with basic one-sentence posts that don't really say or even mean anything. :lalala:
If you think anyone's reading your long post you're dreaming D; I'm just aware that spending more than a few seconds thinking a post is a loss of time D:
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

atoga wrote:"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16
Yes I like it too.

Anyways back on topic. What do you guys think of a giant insect invasion as the menace? Or do you just want a game where you can go around and torment people (like the GTA games)?

The strange thing about most RPG's where you can be good or evil is you usually have to still kill the big bad guy at the end or otherwise defeat them instead of just joining them and achieving victory that way.

I think it would be better if there were two paths. Like one way you have to defeat the raiders and as the bad guy way you defeat the brotherhood of steel. Or just kill both sides to maintain "balance". Heh.
S4ur0n27 wrote:If you think me and the other hecklers here are reading your long posts you're dreaming D; I'm just aware that spending more than a few seconds thinking a post is a loss of time D:
There are others who will take the time to read them. You're not the only ones here.

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

PaladinHeart wrote:What do you guys think of a giant insect invasion as the menace? Or do you just want a game where you can go around and torment people (like the GTA games)?
Thank God you're not writing the FO3 story.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

If I wasn't an atheist I would be thanking God for not allowing Susan to have anything to do with it :|
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

S4ur0n27 wrote:
PaladinHeart wrote:What do you guys think of a giant insect invasion as the menace? Or do you just want a game where you can go around and torment people (like the GTA games)?
Thank God you're not writing the FO3 story.
My 2nd comment there was sarcasm (the generic non-caring bad guy is redundant and I hate it) and I don't really think the giant ant colony would be a good overall plot thing. Just part of the story. There should always be at least two or three evil menaces that you choose whether or not you want to take them on. It would be interesting to let the player just ignore something and it eventually turn into something worse. Like say you find a deathclaw den but you're too chicken and later on you start running into a lot of deathclaws in that region and they even start attacking and occupying nearby towns because you were too scared to take care of the problem earlier.

Like say in the original Fallout it would have been cool if you didn't do anything about the radscorpions and later come back to find that town killed out by them and radscorpions all over the place and a really tough bloated queen scorpion in the caves. :joy:

The good part about not killing certain foes sooner would be that they are tougher and provide a harder challenge later on in the game. Maybe you even let a raider live that begged for his life and he comes back for you... wearing power armor. :crazy:

PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Inasmuch as giant ants are well set in the American 50s' sci-fi mythology, they would fit Fallout, ridiculous as they are.
PaladinHeart wrote:2nd
lol
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

PiP wrote:Inasmuch as giant ants are well set in the American 50s' sci-fi mythology, they would fit Fallout, ridiculous as they are.
Yes. They would fit much better than unrealistic praying mantises that are so small they would not even attack the character. Before a mantis would attack a person they'd have to be AT LEAST the same size and have a very powerful attack. Though their attacks should only occur like once every two rounds.

Actually a mantis just wouldn't make a decent enemy. It's a bug that delivers a fatal pincer attack and then holds on to its prey and eats it until there's little more than a head left. It would make for an interesting "trap like" encounter though. Where if you see it you can shoot it and kill it or run it off or if you don't see it then it grabs and kills you in one hit. I doubt even power armor could help vs a mantis bigger than a person.

The ants in Fallout 2 were way too small though. And way too solitary. It would have been more realistic to replaced the mantises with an ant war party.

Though I do know that ants do send out lone scouts. Doesn't this imply that there would be a huge ant nest (not to mention a whopper of a queen) below Arroyo and Broken Hills?

VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

ImageImageImage

Fallout 3: Attack of the Antz!!

Not that giant radiated ants couldn't appear in the game, but would it make a great main story? I think Tim Cain would roll in Troikas grave.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Shouldn't it be Troika rolling in Troika's grave?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Post by PaladinHeart »

Now I never said it would make a great main storyline. But it would be interesting as a sub plot.

Let's say on your way to the main plot you happen up on the ant lair and if you eliminate their hive then they stop appearing in the wasteland. The choice would be yours and of course you'd gain some nifty... something from doing this.

I suppose I could try and come up with a real plot of some sort.

Okay let's take an average Fallouty person. Ah. A ghoul. There's your villain. Okay ghouls live a loooong time right? See. This ghoul's a Nazi (humor me). Okay this isn't known at the beginning of the game of course. He's in power armor and he's actually part of the Brotherhood of Steel. Head of a large faction of it as a matter of fact. Guess what? You're one of his soldiers. Throughout the game you're given orders to go kill out various mutants and such because this particular ghoul despises even other ghouls, super mutants, deathclaws, every type of abnormal and of course he loathes the wasteland fanatics as well.

But you don't know this and you're frequently given orders to go take out various factions under the notion that they're "bad" people. Okay about halfway through the game you find out this is NOT the case and you get to investigate. You find out the truth. Now you have the option to go up against the Brotherhood, turning on your own comrades just to get at the evil within it, or you can attempt to assassinate him (which would likely result in your own death) or expose him or whatever. You're the only one that knows he's a bloodthirsty Nazi ghoul and.. well there's your plot. Happy now? :lalala:

You can work my ants idea into this as well. If you expose him he retreats to a hidden bunker and the ant hive happens to be in the way. Oh and he is a Nazi scientist so the later half of the game once he's exposed you spend that time fighting his cyborg creations. Maybe the old bunker he retreats to has a secret lab of his he's been working on for a while?

Well anyway that's not an overdone plot (except for maybe the undead Nazi bit) and there's even a plot twist. The "want to destroy your own kind" bit has been done though in (spoiler) Stranger's Wrath, but without explanation in that instance.

Edit:

You could make the game even longer by not starting out as a Brotherhood soldier. You could work your way up to becoming one. Maybe start out as a villager or maybe even a raider. Heh. There's a good one. The game starts out with you as a raider and you get to do what you want for a while but when you come back to your home base later you find the Brotherhood there and while you do put up a valiant fight they defeat and capture you and try you out in their reform program.... or something. I know. The BOS usually don't take raiders as prisoners but it would be good for the plotline if you decide you want to be evil later on. Heh.

PiP

Post by PiP »

PaladinHeart wrote:you eliminate their hive
Fallout3: Ants Vs Predator! I think it'n not abad idea on the whole, but something would have to be done to make killing ants not so fucking boring! The least one could do is to introduce several kinds of ants and at least one talking mutated ant. Quest from queen ant maybe? lol
Throughout the game you're given orders to go kill out various mutants and such because this particular ghoul despises even other ghouls, super mutants, deathclaws, every type of abnormal and of course he loathes the wasteland fanatics as well. (...) Okay about halfway through the game (...) You find out the truth.
and you find the ghoul whipping himself with a studded leather... whip (or something), crying and cursing himself/everything, because he is what he detests?

Now, the idea of "working" for a captain whose orders turn out to be evil halfway thru the game is a decent story sketch. Include good reasons behind the status quo, make characters credible (in terms maybe of the roots of their worldviews - like the ghoul's - and its consequences), include sidequests, bind it all into a network of relations, implement good AND evil ways through, this might work.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Shouldn't it be Troika rolling in Troika's grave?
It's a mass grave.
Our Host!