So I'm playing Warcraft 4

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

So I'm playing Warcraft 4

Post by axelgreese »

I mean Armies of Exigo. Apprently made by some of the guys who also worked on Starcraft. Has a bunch of neat ideas implemented in it (like for instance, you can send men into a dungeon on the map, then toggle between the normal battle map and the dungeon map, basically combining adventure type missions and base building missions all in one) but it's ridiculous how similar it is to warcraft.

Pretty fun so far.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Such an extensive review.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

When your in the dungeon does the outside world go on in realtime too? Cause that would get crazy .
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Such an extensive review.
You want me to write a review after playing 3 of the 36 levels? Ok!
Pooperscooper wrote:When your in the dungeon does the outside world go on in realtime too? Cause that would get crazy .
Yeah, it's not too bad though (so far anyways). Like for instance, I just beat this really annoying level, was one of those "survive for 30 minutes" type levels, so I have to defend this castle that's being besieged. And in the center of the castle is an entrance to these catacombs. So I take some men down into the catacombs and fight a bunch of spiders and then go through this mine shaft to the outside, which places me outside the castle and right near the orc's seige engines, which allowed me to attack them without having to fight through their whole base (and the siege engines kept blowing my shit up too, so I thought that was nice).

Strategy-wise, it seems more akin to StarCraft then WarCraft, I remember people bitching about how low the unit cap was in WarCraft 3 (which I personally thought was a good thing) and this game has a 200 unit cap like SC, which you have to make good use of if you want to properly defend your base and attack. Which really annoys me, I can't just send a good balance attack force of one or two groups, I'm supposed to just send a absolute shit ton of troops and win by sure zerg effect. Considering it has alot of the mirco management that WC3 had (managing buffs, spells and other stuff) the huge forces get pretty annoying fast. Furthermore, the unit AI seems to be a bit chit, like when ordering a group to attack the enemy base, certain units will attack building, other units will rush ahead to attack towers and units and then in a completely inexplicable act of stupidity, the priests will walk straight to where the attack-to-move order was given (in other words walk right into the front lines and get raped by the enemies defenders). So the troops get all spread out, the priest get killed, and there's still the mirco managing of friendly buffs and using ressurection.... so it gets a bit frustrating.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Warcraft 3 was awesome, despite what assholes like Guerra on #fallout will say. Heroes and low unit cap was fun.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I loved warcraft 3, mainly for the RPG-esque heroes and the storyline. If it's similar, I'll get this game. I've read some bad reviews, though.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:When your in the dungeon does the outside world go on in realtime too? Cause that would get crazy .
Believe it or not theres actually a RTS game like that. Except crazier. Called Metal Fatigue, basically it's a game where you create giant mechs to fight in real time. (You get tanks and airplanes and shit, but who cares, you have mechs). Anyways, one of the big things was that you got not just 1 battlefield, not just 2, but 3 at the same time. And you had to manage it ALL at the same time. You had underground, ground level, and stratosphere. Pretty fun game until you get to the point where the computer starts using nothing but aerial bombardments from rail guns.

I'm a bigger fan of Dawn of War then WC3 but this game does sound kinda neat.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Believe it or not theres actually a RTS game like that. Except crazier. Called Metal Fatigue, basically it's a game where you create giant mechs to fight in real time. (You get tanks and airplanes and shit, but who cares, you have mechs). Anyways, one of the big things was that you got not just 1 battlefield, not just 2, but 3 at the same time. And you had to manage it ALL at the same time. You had underground, ground level, and stratosphere. Pretty fun game until you get to the point where the computer starts using nothing but aerial bombardments from rail guns.
hmm I bought that a year ago, but never got further than the tutorial, training or whatever...
I think I'll try it again soon though. Might be fun afterall..
Testicular Pugilist
Our Host!