hay guys, know any good old games?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Games on which I spend several months due to replayability:

Dune
Fantasy Empires
Simcity 2000
Civilization 2
Alpha Centauri
Alien Legacy
Pax Imperia 2
Imperialism 2
Lords of the Realm 2
Pirates (Aaaarh!)

Some of these are pretty old though and might no longer work on newer systems. Dosbox sure is a gift from heaven.

Also fun:

Broken Sword 1 & 2
Cuthroats
Caesar 3
Monkey Islands series
Pharaoh
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
scotch
Regular
Regular

Post by scotch »

Syndicate. It was released by Bullfrog. Play it. Love it. Lick the root.
RAR! I am the Quarter Inch Killer, redundant Fuktard apprentice. Fear the wrath of my mighty midget foreskin!
Reply, if you're looking to get your ass QIK'ed!

Pointy Sticks! Get your nice fresh Pointy Sticks, right here!
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Yeah Bullfrog, probably Britain’s second best game developer :D

Wait that’s a bad thing :(
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

scotch wrote:Syndicate. It was released by Bullfrog. Play it. Love it. Lick the root.
Speaking of which, practicly everything Bullfrog ever made is worth a look. Just look for that funky squashed frog logo.
Hello New Jersey
Sankis
Respected
Respected

Post by Sankis »

I can't believe I didn't see this anywhere, but then again i'm stupid and can't read.

The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall

Prequel to Morrowind, second in Elder Scroll trilogy. Good RPG, totally open-ended. Last I checked, it wasn't freeware and you can't purchase it on the bethesda website :(, but I think there were a few copies for 5$ on ebay last I checked.
LlamaGod
U R Ded Faget
U R Ded Faget

Post by LlamaGod »

Bethesda isnt letting Daggerfall go free because they are greedy pricks, they are gonna wait until 'Morrowind Fever' dies down, then resell all the old shit.

They were boring anyways.

I dunno if anyone's said it, because i'm too lazy to read, but get both Ultima 7 parts (Serpent Isle and Black Gate) and download Exult to run them. It's nice.

Panzer General is a pretty fun old game, it's fun to wittle away the time with.

There is also a game I heard about called KKND (Krush Kill N' Destroy), I havent got to play it yet, but it's Humans vs. Mutants in a post-apocalypse RTS (it's old, too). I heard it was rather difficult.

People already mentioned it, but Blood is a pretty bad-ass game. Dont forget Wasteland. System Shock 1 is l33tness too.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I would suggest goin with Jagged Alliance 2. You can probably find the Goldpack lying around somewhere for less then $20. Its a good buy that provides hours of strategic roleplaying fun. ((Its kinda like X-Com with afew RPG elements.)) Oh yea, the original X-Com is pretty fun if you like squad-based strategy games. Full Throttle and The Dig were really big when I first got my PC. I never played them, because games suck in the Military software stores in Germany. I always heard good things about them though. Their puzzle games, like Monkey Island ((which if you don't own by now.....go get it)). I heard another great one was "I have no mouth, but I must scream". It may not be old, but Freedom Force is a relatively cheap and fun game. Thats really all the old PC games I could think of that are worthwhile that for the most part haven't been mentioned and if they were, well I only skimmed through what had been mentioned.
Harriers for the cup.
Simlife
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Simlife »

Master of Orion 2 was a great game.
Colonization was ok for a while.
Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2 were nice.
C&C Red Alert may work.
Beneath a steal sky was cool too.
Diablo might be worth a go.
Starshit Titanic.
Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2.

Mist... no?
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Beneath a Steel Sky was just made freeware. I couldn't tell you where to get it, but I'm sure someone else could.

I just started playing the first Myst (actually the Masterpiece edition if it matters) a week or so ago. I got the trilogy (Myst, Riven, and Exile) for 20 bucks.

I also found a GameHunter pack with ten decent games (NOLF, IWD, Professional Bass Tournament, etc.) for 8 bucks and an EA pack with ten games (Tiger Woods 99, Madden 2000, Dune 2000, Need for Speed 3, Command and Conquer Red Alert, Sid Meier's Gettysburg, etc.) for 5 bucks.

Just go to an EB or Gamestop and see what you can find.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

I just remembered about these ones:

Dungeonkeeper 1 & 2
Gangsters
Gangsters2
Constructor
and ofcourse the famous Heroes of Might and Magic

Boy, had I fun with those. I' m even replaying some of them just for the feeling from way back then.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
Bridgeburner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Bridgeburner »

hexen 1 and 2
good stuff!

heretic 1 is good too. but they lost me with 2, fucking gay third person pussy shit.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, good old XCOM is always a fun timekiller. I'm not sure if it's free/abandonware yet, but availability on the intarnet should be no problemo.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

1 and 2 are, 3 is not.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

3's ok as well.
Hello New Jersey
Gameshark
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Gameshark »

Dungeonkeeper 1 & 2 hell yeah, the original C+C, Tie Fighter, Worms (the original), Asteroids!...i could go on...i might later.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

If you can't find Worms, look for Scorched Earth. You should be able to download it anywhere on the net. It was basically the originator of Worms, except with Tanks. <a href="http://www.classicgaming.com/scorch/"> This</A> should get you a free copy.
Harriers for the cup.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Actually, no. Worms was never based on Scorched Earth though I admit the fighting is kind of similiar. Worms was actually based on some sort of an original version of Worms that looked like crap and who's name was, if I'm right, also Worms.

Scorched Earth, by the way, was based on an old game called Bomb, which was basicly Scorched Earth with crappier graphics.
Hello New Jersey
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I stand corrected. I guess it must be an old programmers trick. A friend of mine made a game with the same style of fighting except with clowns and pies. I've also seen it made on a graphic calculator.
Harriers for the cup.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Yeah, well, there's a game I have on my computer titled "Duck Mr.Duck", which is basicly Worms with boring graphics and ducks instead of worms.

I think they released the source code, or maybe it's not that hard to create a game in that style.
Hello New Jersey
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I think the code is easy to figure out. The Clown & Pie game was made in about 6 hours using visual basic without any sources outside a book.
Harriers for the cup.
Our Host!