The Case for Rational Suicide, by OldDirty/b/Tard

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I always prefered a more buddhist approach to the idea of life. Life is ment to be about suffering, but it is the ultimate goal of overcoming that suffering that makes life worth living. Suicide is a coward's notion, someone not strong enough to handle truths about life. It's only when these truths are accepted that one can be happy with his life.
What about just simply being bored with this life and being curious about the next? Not all suicide is motivated by depression.
...signatures? WTF?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Weakness. If you're bored with this life, you're doing things wrong.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

There are people who are successful beyond comprehension who are bored with things.

Generalizations always run into some kind of exception.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I never mentioned success. Modern ideas of "Success" are plainfully boring in that they reduce life to making money and possibly having kids, but mostly money. You're doing it wrong if you're bored with life.
Tingel Tangel
Fascist Bitch
Fascist Bitch

Post by Tingel Tangel »

Or, alternatively phrased, you could say that sooner or later, we're all going to see what the next life is like - so you might as well get the best of what you're in now.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Eh, sometimes for people curiosity outweighs it. And put into a position where you're in for suffering for years, why not just get it over with sooner? Sure you could call it weakness but in some cases a horrible, embarrassing death over years could be worse than just leaving now, and nicer to loved ones as well.
...signatures? WTF?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Caleb wrote:Eh, sometimes for people curiosity outweighs it.
And those people are morons. Wastes of flesh and effort. Curiousity doesn't justify actions, especially ones as stupid as we're discussing.
why not just get it over with sooner
Why not stop being a selfish git and do something more with your life then? The immenent looming of death is not an excuse to end your own life as there is still much to accomplish; at worst you could donate your life to science with the hope that you'll help someone who needs it - happiness and solace should be found in the fact that your sacrifice has caused another to live or atleast helped humanity. Again, selfish cowards only look at things as "OOH I'M IN PAIN, LET ME TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT!"
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Caleb wrote:Eh, sometimes for people curiosity outweighs it.
And those people are morons. Wastes of flesh and effort. Curiousity doesn't justify actions, especially ones as stupid as we're discussing.
why not just get it over with sooner
Why not stop being a selfish git and do something more with your life then? The immenent looming of death is not an excuse to end your own life as there is still much to accomplish; at worst you could donate your life to science with the hope that you'll help someone who needs it - happiness and solace should be found in the fact that your sacrifice has caused another to live or atleast helped humanity. Again, selfish cowards only look at things as "OOH I'M IN PAIN, LET ME TAKE THE EASY WAY OUT!"
I guess the problem with that for me is that after all utility has left a person, they can't even think or remember who they are and they're literally burden financially and otherwise to others around them, a danger to themselves and others, i can't really see the positive of them staying around.
...signatures? WTF?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

I can't really see the positive of one lifeform conducting an inexorably uncertain and incomplete evalutation of another lifeform and deciding, casually, that others would be better served by its absence.

Thank Sutekh you are restricted to an idle Muse.

OR SO I HOPE. :drunk:
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Blargh wrote:I can't really see the positive of one lifeform conducting an inexorably uncertain and incomplete evalutation of another lifeform and deciding, casually, that others would be better served by its absence.

Thank Sutekh you are restricted to an idle Muse.

OR SO I HOPE. :drunk:
Occasionally these choices ARE made...interesting stories like the god squad do come up...the people who choose which terminally ill patients deserve the organs and which will get to die.

Also the lovely insurance companies.
...signatures? WTF?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Looking ever upward at soles wrote:ARE
Insightful. :drunk:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Blargh wrote:I can't really see the positive of one lifeform conducting an inexorably uncertain and incomplete evalutation of another lifeform and deciding, casually, that others would be better served by its absence.
Are you talking about Smiley? :?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Hipocrisy in hindsight ? Egad. :drunk:
Our Host!