Six New Shots From The Fall

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Carsten Strehse wrote: But all I got from you were words like "dumb", "fucking", "puke". :confused2:
Speaking of Puke, how is he working out for you? Is the whole Project Figurehead top secret plan proceeding nicely?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

Post by Carsten Strehse »

> Well you've completely shunned the issue brought forth regarding the style of the game world. You can't tell me its a matter of personal taste, its more a matter of BAD SCIENCE AND A POORLY CONCEIVED BACK STORY. So you're right, bad writing does not suit my tastes you dumb fucking puke. If you want a critical blow job feel free to head back over to no mutants allowed. I'm sure they'll be more than willing to swallow any shit you shovel into a box..

You're right, I'm impressed! From that statement I can really see that you know what good writing is. You really know what you're talking about. Wonder why you aren't in the industry as a professional. :)

BTW: How old are you? Just curious?
Silver Style Entertainment

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

EDIT : Looking into the concepts of martian terraforming, I can see this as entirely plausible. Just expand on the oversimplification of the CO2 enrichment in your story to talk about the full breadth of real terraforming, such as of course the introduction of halocarbons for which IMO would be a more effective method.

Cheers
Last edited by EvoG on Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

EvoG wrote:Unless we're missing some important components, CO2 enrichment of the atmoshphere would indeed yield a greater concentration of oxygen as the plants 'went to town' processing all that 'food'(CO2). Photochemical breaking down of water also produces oxygen(early earth atmospheric evolution) causing the arrival of plants, thus causing the purely CO2, Water and nitrogen rich atmosphere to give way to oxygen(from plant CO2 consumption producing oxygen, thusly vastly reducing the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere). Oxygen in abundance protects the earth from the suns ultraviolet rays. Increased oxygen levels would of course further reduce the effects of UV penetration ( re: ozone damage reversal ) which is a 'good thing'.

So to wrap it up, terraforming Earth would make Earth more, um, Earthier? :)

Cheers
You're not serious about it, right? I hope you don't read that strange books telling people that the ozone hole isn't existing, that the Aids virus is a development of the International Monetary Fund and that the Queen of England is the head of some kind of Mafia organisation?

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

EvoG wrote:EDIT : Looking into the concepts of martian terraforming, I can see this as entirely plausible.

Cheers
:clap:

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Carsten Strehse wrote:You're not serious about it, right? I hope you don't read that strange books telling people that the ozone hole isn't existing, that the Aids virus is a development of the International Monetary Fund and that the Queen of England is the head of some kind of Mafia organisation?
Are you trying to insult me now?

Very unprofessional...good luck with you game.
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

Spazmo wrote:
Carsten Strehse wrote: But all I got from you were words like "dumb", "fucking", "puke". :confused2:
Speaking of Puke, how is he working out for you? Is the whole Project Figurehead top secret plan proceeding nicely?
Hey, Spazmo! What makes you think Killzig needs a defender? :eyebrow:

BTW: Liked your resumee of the RPG year 2003. Even if it was a long read it had a lot of truth in it. I mean this completly serious. (OK, time for you to start to tell me that you give a shit about my opinion regarding your articles, that I can go to hell and can lick my %&"&"$ and plug my a !)"/E&§/ in my §%&"§$.) ;)

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

EvoG wrote:
Carsten Strehse wrote:You're not serious about it, right? I hope you don't read that strange books telling people that the ozone hole isn't existing, that the Aids virus is a development of the International Monetary Fund and that the Queen of England is the head of some kind of Mafia organisation?
Are you trying to insult me now?

Very unprofessional...good luck with you game.
No, you got me wrong. I really thought it was some kind of joke you made, because you read one of these weired books for entertainment. If this wasn't clear I formal apologize!

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Carsten Strehse wrote:No, you got me wrong. I really thought it was some kind of joke you made, because you read one of these weired books for entertainment. If this wasn't clear I formal apologize!
Cool. Thank you. :)

Cheers
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

here's the link to NMA http://www.nma-fallout.com

don't let the door hit you on the way out.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

Killzig wrote:here's the link to NMA http://www.nma-fallout.com

don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Do you really think NMA is such a poor site? I don't think they will let me in! Seriously! :)

Delete my access to this forum and will never post again here. Promised.

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
chrisbeddoes
Respected
Respected

Post by chrisbeddoes »

Carsten Strehse I like the fact that we can import our own portraits and the fact that the engine is modable.

About the interface.
Can it have an alpha slider option ?
So that something can be seen from below ?
Something like Morrowind has done.
The less or no experienced gamer can see the interface 100 % and then he/she can then make it more and more transparent as he becomes more experienced.

Also the texture of the interface.
Can it change colors in night or day ?
And or become red texture when you are in combat ?

Also CO2 is food for the plants ( really not a joke)
It is their food from the atmoshere.

So mayby you meant that it was a high concetration of CO carbon monoxide that killed everything.

Because a high level of CO2 would create and incredibly dense amazon forest and jungle near the poles.(and an intorelable desert near the tropicals) But mayby this is an idea for the fall 2.

http://van.hep.uiuc.edu/van/qa/section/ ... 085123.htm
Q:
Do underwater plants produce food the same way as plants above water? ... and do underwater plants need carbondioxide? How do they get it if its underwater?
Nicholas (age 10)
ST Augustines
Kendall Park,NJ

A:
First of all, what is photosynthesis? Well, it’s how plants get their food. When you get hungry you probably just sit down and have something to eat. Plants, however, don’t have it so easy, they have to make their own food. Plants use water (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and sunlight to make glucose (C6H12O6), also known as sugar. The process follows the chemical equation: 6CO2 + 6H2O ? C6H12O6. You should notice that sunlight isn’t in the equation and that’s because sunlight has a special role. Just like your car needs gas in order for it to run, photosynthesis needs some kind of fuel for the reaction to occur. That fuel is sunlight. Plants have special organelles called chlorophyll that absorb sunlight and turn into fuel for photosynthesis. This process, as wells as the entire photosynthetic process, is how all plants get their food.

So chemically, the photosynthetic process that land and aquatic plants use to produce food is identical. Both types of plants require carbon dioxide, water, and energy to produce glucose (their food). The only difference between photosynthesis in aquatic and land plants is where in their environments they get these nutrients. Land plants get water from the ground through their extensive root system, carbon dioxide from the air through their stomata (tiny holes in a plant’s leaves), and energy from the sun. Aquatic plants get water and carbon dioxide from their aquatic environment and, like the land plants, energy from the sun. Even though the plant is underwater, it still gets its energy from the sun because sunlight can pass through water.

To understand where aquatic plants find this CO2 think about your favorite kind of pop. Those bubbles that give the pop its fizzy nature come from CO2 that’s dissolved in the liquid. The CO2 that aquatic plants use isn’t exactly the same as the CO2 in your can of soda, but the idea is the same.

Now you’re probably wondering how the CO2 got into the water. The CO2 enters the water as a byproduct of respiration (breathing). When an aquatic animal breathes it exhales CO2 into the water just as you exhale CO2 into the air when you breathe.

From there the aquatic plant uses the same chemical processes to convert the raw CO2, water, and energy into glucose.

If you would like more information on sunlight passing through water and how CO2 is dissolved in water, try the following site: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/phisio.html
Core Puzzle
Regular
Regular

Post by Core Puzzle »

Carsten Strehse wrote:
Killzig wrote:what about the inventory trading screen?
Your statements reflect your personal taste, so it's hard for me to react. If I would ask 10 people on that topic I would get 10 different opinions.
Eh, i don't get this. 10 different opinions? There's 6 people in this thread alone saying the interface needs improvement. You say you take feedback seriously? Fine, that doesn't mean you have to "out-argue" every suggestion thrown at you. It's your game, do whatever you want, but if you decide to take up a discussion, at least see it through without backing into a defensive stance whenever someone speaks up.

To me, the trading screen does indeed feel bland, and it's too big and obtrusive. For example, why is there 18 slots on each side of the bartering table? Surely there can't be that many situations where you'll be trading 18 items for 18 different items. The merchant's inventory doesn't need to be that big either. It appears to me you can sort his inventory by category, which is excellent. Stick to that, cut his inventory down, and put some scrollbars at the sides or something. And get rid of the big character portraits, staring at the same god damn face through an entire game gets tedious.

Don't care about char portraits, i'm completely indifferent on those.
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

> Carsten Strehse I like the fact that we can import our own portraits and the fact that the engine is modable.

Glad to hear that.

> About the interface. Can it have an alpha slider option ? So that something can be seen from below ?

Yes, the menus can be set transparent, no problem.

> The less or no experienced gamer can see the interface 100 % and then he/she can then make it more and more transparent as he becomes more experienced.

That's the idea behind it.

> Also the texture of the interface.
Can it change colors in night or day ?
And or become red texture when you are in combat ?

Don't you think this could confuse the people? One could think that a menu in a different color works in a different way.

> Also CO2 is food for the plants ( really not a joke)
It is their food from the atmoshere.

I know what you mean. But believe me: No company starts a multi million $ project without intensive research. We talked to several scientists on German universities and our scenario is one of a half-dozen that are realistic. Since this topic is really huge and this is no board for scientist I don't want to go into detail, but I know that you won't find any serious science website that says that the scenario we describe isn't possible or unrealistic.

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

> Eh, i don't get this. 10 different opinions? There's 6 people in this thread alone saying the interface needs improvement.

I don't say that there not enough people who don't like the interface (even I could bring you 6 people out of another forum in two minutes telling you that the interface is great at the we should leave it the way it is). What I say is, it makes no sense to talk about personal taste. "I like stone more than metal", "I like plastic more than stone", "I like metal more than plastic", "I like bullets", "I don't like bullets" are statements that can't help anybody.

> You say you take feedback seriously? Fine, that doesn't mean you have to "out-argue" every suggestion thrown at you.

If you bring up a good suggestion you will always get a serious answer on it from me. You could show me your most loved interface for example and tell me why you like it. I'm very sure we would have a great exchange of ideas.

> For example, why is there 18 slots on each side of the bartering table? Surely there can't be that many situations where you'll be trading 18 items for 18 different items.

Because it's comfortable to see the complete inventory of one character for trading. No scrolling or something, just drag'n'drop.

> The merchant's inventory doesn't need to be that big either. It appears to me you can sort his inventory by category, which is excellent. Stick to that, cut his inventory down, and put some scrollbars at the sides or something.

Mmh... Our merchants have a lot of stuff to trade. I dunno how deep you're in the whole "combine/build items/weapons" topic, but you need a good overview for your own items an the stuff the merchant is offering.

> And get rid of the big character portraits, staring at the same god damn face through an entire game gets tedious.

Well, every merchant looks different. It also depends on their age how experienced they barter for example (just one of 5 factors that have influence on the trading).

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
chrisbeddoes
Respected
Respected

Post by chrisbeddoes »

Loose the Dilbert boss hair portrait please.
(Or at least make it less obvious)

And finally I meant that this color or texture should be changed.(my english not perfect)

START OF personal redicoulous stupid assumptions

Finally (OT) if your game is not liked in a site because it is liked a lot in another competitive site ( I am making redicoulous stupid inferences here but anyway) then a way to make your game liked is to give EXCLUSIVE CONTENT and not to agrue and antagonise pointelessly in the forums.

END OF personal redicoulous stupid assumptions
Carsten Strehse
The Yappy Mos'ka

> START OF personal redicoulous stupid assumptions

Hey! You won't take away the fun I have in this forum, do you? :)

> Finally (OT) if your game is not liked in a site because it is liked a lot in another competitive site ( I am making redicoulous stupid inferences here but anyway) then a way to make your game liked is to give EXCLUSIVE CONTENT and not to agrue and antagonise pointelessly in the forums.

It's new to me that DAC don't like TF. But thanks for the tip! Next time someone starts to insult me I will through him exclusive material on his head! Maybe he shut up then. :)

BTW: All your questions from your other posting answered detailed enough?

Carsten Strehse
Lead Designer
chrisbeddoes
Respected
Respected

Post by chrisbeddoes »

Carsten Strehse wrote:
BTW: All your questions from your other posting answered detailed enough?
My criticisms have been answered satisfactorily yes.

And i will buy your game probably.

But only if the impressions of people that post here in these forums are good.
MeatPoPsicKle
Respected
Respected

Post by MeatPoPsicKle »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only dev you guys give the 3rd degree to. Cheers Carsten, best of luck to you and your team. I like what I see so far, and I'll wait to make a judgement on it until I get a chance to play the demo or the release.

I too hope Damian is working out for you. It's gotta be better than working someplace where you are just waiting for the hammer to come down. I know, I've been there.
Just the booze, Wooz
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

The textures are nice, tho overall the graphics are a bit RTS style, and the interface sucks.
Our Host!