Popular Culture

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
gobbleykins
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by gobbleykins »

Dogmeatlives wrote:the problem i have is that profit oriented corporations are pretty much the most influential entities in many childrens lives. Of course alot of blame is put back on the parents to take control back from videogames, films, music, friends, other sources of influience, but its fucking hard to grab a kids attention when you're competing against multibillion dollar companies who wanna suck you and your kid's wallets dry.
QFE

Profit-oriented corporations are the worst thing in any person's life. For example, take the this health care shit hole in America. Obama gets voted in and gets millions of dollars from the health insurance businesses, so while postering that he'll change everything, change health care, he can't do shit all about it. So we get two sides yapping about something that's so moderate each side is supporting the same exact thing.

Take another example, the oil fiasco off the coast of Louisiana. These fuckers are getting away with murder, and they're trying to reduce the amount of money they have to pay in restitution from billions to millions. What the fuck, everyone in charge should be fired, jailed, and never allowed to run a business again. Not before something is done about that fucking pipe that is still leaking shit into the sea and killing whole shitloads of things every minute, and it shouldn't be left up to the company to deal with it because they don't have a fucking clue what they're doing at all. They have a hot line to take suggestions from any old joe schmo making moonshine in his backyard who drives fifteen miles in his twenty year old dodge just to use the phone because he heard this shit on the rayd-yo. Holy crap, you'd think they'd have some oversight or something.

In short, pop culture is determined by the entertainment industry, which is made up of profit-oriented corporations bent on fucking you (the common man) in the ass until they've pulled every single fucking penny out of the bottom of your sock drawer and your little kid's piggy bank is bone dry. Oh yeah and therefore you can conclude that from this deduction, pop culture has already ruined America.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Re: Popular Culture

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

Taco-Hero wrote:What do you guys think?
television.

people don't know how to read, converse or even think for themselves anymore. they work and then come home and watch vapid, inane 20-40 minute blocks of vacuous entertainment specially-fitted to their pathetic somnambulist demographic whilst being force-fed instructions on how to consume more and more useless shit like some insatiable zombie who doesn't even remember anymore why it wants brains. it just knows it wants them.
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Todd Howard: making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

How about sports? Watching that brain dead sport soccer or american football where they run around like retards trying to catch balls.

That has to be the top 5 for brain dead television.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

im sick of aliens fuckin pouring loads of media onto america and spoiling it urgh stop da frikkin ufo men from promoting ipad phone lost finale ripped by aXXo moron bait
:chew:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

MR Snake wrote:How about sports? Watching that brain dead sport soccer or american football where they run around like retards trying to catch balls.

That has to be the top 5 for brain dead television.
Close.

Nascar. That's all I have to say.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

In Nascar people are hoping for an accident. I can understand alot more than watching fucking golf.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Why is golf even considered a sport? It's more a competitive hobby... like LAN tournaments. It just takes the right tools and practice/experience to play, less physical temperance.

Also why I wouldn't consider Poker, Nascar, or several other recent phonomena as sports.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

My biggest problem with pop-culture is the fact that it stresses to disregard ethics and dignity to obtain wealth and/or fame. Its creating a generation of whores that will do anything for their fifteen minutes of popularity.

Goddamnit Andy Warhol was right, and this is coming from a man who fucking hates post-modernism.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

SenisterDenister wrote:Fucking weaboo japan loving sons of bitches. They didn't even make him a black guy.
lol the japanese hate black people - you didn't know that ? I'm being serious (except for celebrities - all japanese are gay for celebrities)
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Why do the japanese hate black people? Shit, I like the danes more than the japanese - and that's saying something.
inomel
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by inomel »

Everyone on the innanet seems to hate black people when they are on cammy and drunk from the dran0 :?
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Who drinks Drain-O? (If that was what you were referring to?)
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Too few humans imbibe Drain-O, or similar substances. :drunk:
Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

Too few indeed.
-----------------------------------------------------------Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Thanks for all your opinions so far. I'm not sure what I got on the assignment, but I got an A in the class so that's good.

I don't think any understood what I said though, because I wrote it as if I believed that pop culture wasn't ruining America, but yet tried to make it sort of obvious that I didn't really mean that. Er... it went over everybody's heads so they refused to acknowledge it.

But thanks. I'm not truly sure if popular culture is ruining America, or society in general but I agree with what Dogmeatlives, and gobbleykins said. It's a pretty broad subject.
5tograma
SDF!
SDF!

Post by 5tograma »

Blargh wrote:'Popular' culture is only a symptom of a greater malady - the people who have wrought it. :drunk:
I agree with You opinion :drunk: :drunk:

---------------------
http://www.ambienbuy.org/
Last edited by 5tograma on Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

THEYFOUNDTHEBODIES

Post by Blargh »

I am honour :drunk:
Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

ed
-----------------------------------------------------------Has anyone ever been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Ed's dead.
Burning Oasis
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Burning Oasis »

At least he can still play Playstation.
Our Host!