what the fuck?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

haha, that's cool, it'd be neat to meet up once I'm living there B) I'm doing the GDL conversion year (siunce i already have an english degree) followed by the LPC year, which you probably know about already.

Bloomsbury's pretty expensive from what I've heard, though I haven't done much looking into it... you living on your own, or.. ?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Mr. Teatime wrote:haha, that's cool, I'm happy to meet up when I move :) I'm doing the GDL conversion year (siunce i already have an english degree) followed by the LPC year, which you probably know about already.
I'm afraid I don't know a lot about the UK. I went to a British school, but it was in Switzerland so I don't really know much about the U.K. I have been to London a few times, but I got no idea about the education system etc.
Mr. Teatime wrote:Bloomsbury's pretty expensive from what I've heard, though I haven't done much looking into it... you living on your own, or.. ?
It is pretty expensive, but I was lucky and I got a good deal on an apartment. I am sharing it with my brother, he's starting his 2nd year in Mechanical Engineering in UCL.

Let me know where you move in, I'd love to meet up as well. I'm thinking about flying over next Thursday, but it may be a little early, since I don't start uni until the end of September. Still, we're already paying for the apartment, so I might as well. I also need to get all the other stuff sorted, i.e. water, electricity, internet, etc.

By the way, the restaurants in the Bloomsbury area are amazing (Y).
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

why dont you meet me teatime i was in manchester yestrerday huh its a simple matter of driving for a few hours, finding me and then the fun begins. or...NOT HAHAHAHA LOL GET IT
:chew:
Mekano
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mekano »

were you in sheffield in the early 80s? cabaret voltaire? clock dva?

are you going to work for city council?

am i asking too many questions?

there's lots of horror stories about paypal, infact some sellers stopped using paypal on their ebay items and they make you use other methods claiming they've been fucked over by pay pal before.

and i'm not talking about western union chodes, those are obvious scams.
iohkus
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Megatron wrote:why dont you meet me teatime i was in manchester yestrerday huh its a simple matter of driving for a few hours, finding me and then the fun begins. or...NOT HAHAHAHA LOL GET IT
Well megatron I don't drive, nor could I afford a car if I could, but if you wanna come to Sheffield that's fine with me, I'm here for the next month before moving... I'd get the train except I really do need to watch my money, when I've got some spare I'll let you know :P

I'll probably be close to other DAC members once in London, so yeah just let me know if you wanna meet. I'll bring a knife so don't think of trying anything.

As for the UK education system, Frater, I was talking about the law education specifically. After you've done your law degree you've gotta do either the LPC course (for solicitors) or BVC (for barristers), both last a year. I'm doing the GDL year before that which is essentially a law degree compressed into a year for postgraduates of other degrees. Then I do the LPC or BVC afterwards.

With Law, the process of getting something at the end of it all is kind of stressful if I think about it too hard (so I don't), a lot of it seems to come down to who you know, which contacts you've made, and a LOT of advance planning (many law firms want your apprenticeship/job application two years in advance) which is something I haven't done, since I decided to do law two months ago on the spur of the moment, had no thought of doing it whilst I was doing my degree. Still, I'm confident I'll find something good, got to believe in myself and my ability to be awesome etc.

Anyway I won't be able to meet before the middle of September (21st) when my course starts, but after that I'm sure we can sort something out.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

So what's this Jon, tired of chasing after poon and instead going for prison style pork on the home court?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Food, Britain, and amazing just don't go into the same sentence.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

S4ur0n27 wrote:Food, Britain, and amazing just don't go into the same sentence.
Well, Bloomsbury has a lot of nice foreign cusine (mmmm... Sushi, I can exist on that alone).
Mr. Teatime wrote:
Megatron wrote:why dont you meet me teatime i was in manchester yestrerday huh its a simple matter of driving for a few hours, finding me and then the fun begins. or...NOT HAHAHAHA LOL GET IT
Well megatron I don't drive, nor could I afford a car if I could, but if you wanna come to Sheffield that's fine with me, I'm here for the next month before moving... I'd get the train except I really do need to watch my money, when I've got some spare I'll let you know :P

I'll probably be close to other DAC members once in London, so yeah just let me know if you wanna meet. I'll bring a knife so don't think of trying anything.

As for the UK education system, Frater, I was talking about the law education specifically. After you've done your law degree you've gotta do either the LPC course (for solicitors) or BVC (for barristers), both last a year. I'm doing the GDL year before that which is essentially a law degree compressed into a year for postgraduates of other degrees. Then I do the LPC or BVC afterwards.

With Law, the process of getting something at the end of it all is kind of stressful if I think about it too hard (so I don't), a lot of it seems to come down to who you know, which contacts you've made, and a LOT of advance planning (many law firms want your apprenticeship/job application two years in advance) which is something I haven't done, since I decided to do law two months ago on the spur of the moment, had no thought of doing it whilst I was doing my degree. Still, I'm confident I'll find something good, got to believe in myself and my ability to be awesome etc.

Anyway I won't be able to meet before the middle of September (21st) when my course starts, but after that I'm sure we can sort something out.
Ahh ok, I knew about the extra year for solicitor/barrister, just didn't know what it was called :P

I'm learning English/French law, getting the maitrise en droit as well in the end, and I'm thinking about doing my master's in America, so hopefully I'll find some place that will take me, lol.

Anyway, how many DAC members live in/visit London?
I'm either flying over this Friday or sometime next week ~~
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

St. Toxic wrote:So what's this Jon, tired of chasing after poon and instead going for prison style pork on the home court?
You've got it.
Frater wrote: Ahh ok, I knew about the extra year for solicitor/barrister, just didn't know what it was called :P

I'm learning English/French law, getting the maitrise en droit as well in the end, and I'm thinking about doing my master's in America, so hopefully I'll find some place that will take me, lol.
Sounds like you've got a plan worked out. Are you thinking of being a lawyer in America? That's something that crossed my mind vaguely but my impressions of the US as a whole, under Bush in particular, aren't that good. Lots of guns, church and state appear to be wholly tied together, the media is awful (I know we have tabloids but we also have the BBC), and so on. Of course I've never lived there but I think I'd prefer to live in the UK and travel wherever on a temporary basis.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

I heard the US are the best land for lawyers, like you can sue any company and earn millions for stupid reasons?
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Thor Kaufman wrote:I heard the US are the best land for lawyers, like you can sue any company and earn millions for stupid reasons?
Well there's no doubt there's lots of money to be earnt in Law in the US, but that's really not the main reason why I'm doing the subject. If I just wanted lots of money, sure I'd go the US - and there's quite a bit of money to be earnt in the UK as well.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

The US, especially its legal tradition, sucks for a variety of reasons. I'd just stick to the UK.

Edit: How did we even get from GBA games to this?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Mr. Teatime wrote:
St. Toxic wrote:So what's this Jon, tired of chasing after poon and instead going for prison style pork on the home court?
You've got it.
Frater wrote: Ahh ok, I knew about the extra year for solicitor/barrister, just didn't know what it was called :P

Sounds like you've got a plan worked out. Are you thinking of being a lawyer in America? That's something that crossed my mind vaguely but my impressions of the US as a whole, under Bush in particular, aren't that good. Lots of guns, church and state appear to be wholly tied together, the media is awful (I know we have tabloids but we also have the BBC), and so on. Of course I've never lived there but I think I'd prefer to live in the UK and travel wherever on a temporary basis.
My views on the U.S. tended to extremely negative, but last June I went to Washington to do a short law course (2 weeks). Yeah, there really weren't things that are so damn different in Europe, etc, but overall it looked like a nice place to live and work at, as a lawyer.

I actually do like the U.S. legal system a lot, I do not like the fact that British law relies so heavily on case law (am I correct?)

And lawyers in the U.S. make a shitload of money, that is true. For example, most of them charge contingency fee for civil cases (which is illegal in France, for example), so it really is a paradise for the kind.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:I actually do like the U.S. legal system a lot, I do not like the fact that British law relies so heavily on case law (am I correct?)
The US system does too. American lawyers even refer to old British commons sometimes. Legal reasoning in general, however, tends to be less competent and logical and instead more emotional and moralistic in the US, although I could say exactly the same thing about the legal culture in Sweden. In any case, the UK sets a fine example in this respect, which at least for me is an important factor.
Frater Perdurabo wrote:And lawyers in the U.S. make a shitload of money, that is true. For example, most of them charge contingency fee for civil cases (which is illegal in France, for example), so it really is a paradise for the kind.
Oh, yes... The shitload of money is probably the only reason for me to even consider working in the US. But then, there's nothing wrong with having a choice. Good luck to you in the future, whether that be pure at heart in your fatherland, or greedy and corrupted in the dark, depraved corridors of America. :salute:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Mr. Teatime wrote:
You've got it.

My views on the U.S. tended to extremely negative, but last June I went to Washington to do a short law course (2 weeks). Yeah, there really weren't things that are so damn different in Europe, etc, but overall it looked like a nice place to live and work at, as a lawyer.

I actually do like the U.S. legal system a lot, I do not like the fact that British law relies so heavily on case law (am I correct?)

And lawyers in the U.S. make a shitload of money, that is true. For example, most of them charge contingency fee for civil cases (which is illegal in France, for example), so it really is a paradise for the kind.
Well I may end up in the US but it's certainly not something I'm planning. From my view in the UK, the US is pretty fucked up. I'm sure I have the capability to earn billions and billions over there but to be honest, I'm not really motivated to be that cynical. Though, if it were a side effect of doing something that I enjoy and gives me fulfilment, I'll take it. As I said, the US just looks pretty fucked though (of course being so big it depends what part you go to I guess) and I'd rather keep my visits there to holidays.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Billions? You lack some modesty, poor Teatime D:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

TinyTeeth wrote: The US system does too. American lawyers even refer to old British commons sometimes. Legal reasoning in general, however, tends to be less competent and logical and instead more emotional and moralistic in the US.
Yeah, it would have been a real pain in the ass to write a whole legal system.
So when the U.S. Constitution was written the guys at the Convention just wrote in a clause that said something like "anything not specified here shall be handled according to pre-existing British Common Law". Or something like that. (But of course, it doesn't count precedents set in Britain after that time, so you get evolutionary divergence/different precedents/etc.)
Then there's all that crap left to the states.

The legal reasoning bit is maddening. Imagine if paralogic were declared a drug. We'd have to fence in the whole place as a prison.

...oh, wait...
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Yep. The US system is pretty much based on UK law since basically, we got there first (colonisation). But then they added some clauses where you can sue fast food organisations for making you fat when you eat loads of burgers.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Mr. Teatime wrote:Yep. The US system is pretty much based on UK law since basically, we got there first (colonisation). But then they added some clauses where you can sue fast food organisations for making you fat when you eat loads of burgers.
Hehe, actually the reason for why that happened was that this guy got fat on McDonald's, so he sued the company for it. McDonalds' lawyers treated the case as a joke, but the fat guy's lawyer managed to prove that a McDonald's hamburger contains MORE fat than a REGULAR hamburger (I don't know which "regular" hamburgers they used to set the standard), so ever since after that McDonald's has had to write on their Hamburger boxes how much fat, etc they contain.

Silly case, but there was more to it than at first seemed, and there's also a story to the woman sueing McDonald's for hot coffee.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I can understand the hot coffee suit. If you take a big swallow of scolding hot coffee it's not going to be pretty. You could get some serious burns.
Our Host!