Upcoming Movies

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

It just has hardly anything to do with the actual character. It's a totally derivative product. It's just like FOBOS: it takes an existing setting and set of characters and then uses them wrong. And hell, Keanu Goddamn Reeves.

Take one example: the trailers show off that stupid crucifix shotgun Keanu waves around. The real (fictional) John Constantine can't even shoot and in fact avoids fighting at all wherever possible because he's just not good at it. The movie is some sort of paranormal action movie thing set in America where the original comic is more of a subtle horror story that deals extensively with British folklore. If it wasn't for the use of several characters from Hellblazer (namely Constantine and Papa Midnite), you'd hardly recognise this movie as a Hellblazer adaptation.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Geeeeeeeek.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Posh iBook using dork.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Nothing wrong with posh, dahling.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I want to see constantine too, spazmo. I never read the comics so I could give a fuck lol, and its cliche' that the movies are not faithful to the real material. I heard swampthing is in it and played by ron pearlman but I think they were joking, but it would make the movies X1000 better.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Ridley Scott is always shitty.
what? Hows about: alien, gladiator, blade runner, blackhawk down, and black rain?

well I'd like to see constantine too, along with land of the dead, SW# and sin city.

I want to see how awful war of the worlds will be, wouldn't mind seeing the british version either.
does this work
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Spazmo wrote:It just has hardly anything to do with the actual character. It's a totally derivative product. It's just like FOBOS: it takes an existing setting and set of characters and then uses them wrong. And hell, Keanu Goddamn Reeves.

Take one example: the trailers show off that stupid crucifix shotgun Keanu waves around. The real (fictional) John Constantine can't even shoot and in fact avoids fighting at all wherever possible because he's just not good at it. The movie is some sort of paranormal action movie thing set in America where the original comic is more of a subtle horror story that deals extensively with British folklore. If it wasn't for the use of several characters from Hellblazer (namely Constantine and Papa Midnite), you'd hardly recognise this movie as a Hellblazer adaptation.
Trying to convince us Constantine will be crap is like trying to convince people who never read I, Robot, Starship Troopers, The Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy that the movies based on them were ungodly pieces of shit.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Blackhawk down fucking sucked.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Yeah, Constantine will probably be chit.

I read the comic adaption of the movie adaption of the comic ( :drunk: ) and it was not exactly promising.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Trying to convince us Constantine will be crap is like trying to convince people who never read I, Robot, Starship Troopers, The Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy that the movies based on them were ungodly pieces of shit.
Those movies were goodish/okay. What about Blade Runner or Fight club or Requiem for a Dream or A clockwork orange and chit.
:chew:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I, Robot was horrible, but I liked Starship Troopers and the Bourne movies.
Last edited by Nicolai on Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Nicolai wrote:I, Robot was horrible, but the I liked Starship Troopers and the Bourne movies.
Johnny Rico was a Phillipino, Dizzy was a guy who died at the beginning of the book, and they're called "Mobile Infantry" and "Cap troopers" because they wear mobile suits that get launched inside capsules at their landing zones from space.

Jason Bourne is a CIA operative whose mission was to pretend to be the world's top assassin, in order to lure the world's real top assassin, Carlos the Jackal, out of hiding. Also, The Bourne Supremacy takes place entirely in China, aside from the opening in Bourne's living room in the U.S.

The reason I'm pissed off about people liking those movies is that they have nothing to do with the books; if they're going to remove every single plot element out of a book when making the movie, why bother saying the movie is based on the book?
- the Vault Dweller
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

"Based on the book" does not necessarily mean "110% true to the book".
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

But if I go into a theater to see a movie based on the book, I expect to see that book's story onscreen.
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

As to changing the location of the Bourne Supremacy I guess that goes with updating the books and isn't too bad. I haven't seen the films and it's been a long time since I've read the books but I'm guessing (from the trailers) that they've updated them to the modern day so changing the location isn't necessarily a bad thing, look at all the adaptations of Shakespeare, there's been some great films that keep to the spirit of the plays but update the locations etc. I agree though that they should keep to the essence of the story, Sliver was one of the worst adaptations I've seen, they totally cut out the last third of the book and changed the identity of the killer, that pissed me off.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Jason Bourne is a CIA operative whose mission was to pretend to be the world's top assassin, in order to lure the world's real top assassin, Carlos the Jackal, out of hiding.
Wow.

I thought you were over-reacting at first, but now I understand you completely.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

why the heck would anyone want to watch a total 100% word-for-word movie of a book if you could just read the book ffs goddamn.

the movies were ok. the books sound better.

pquote]Johnny Rico was a Phillipino[/quote]

yeah well he was south american and thats a bit similair to the phillipines rite?
:chew:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Blacks are not all africanos.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

What about THELMA AND LOUISE, you cretins?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, Mega, I didn't mean it exactly like that either. I liked Bourne Identity, it was a pretty good movie in my opinion. But I don't think you should use a name of a book that's completely different (except for some names and places) story-wise.
Our Host!