Graveyard of Broken Dreams

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Graveyard of Broken Dreams

Post by OnTheBounce »

It was suggested recently that a database for abandoned mapping ideas could be established so that other mappers/modders could use them. I think the time has come to make this a reality.

I am hereby issuing a clarion call to all mappers and modders to submit their abandoned maps to onthebounce@duckandcover.net . I will be updating my site in the next couple of days and will include a new section called "The Graveyard of Broken Dreams" that will allow other mappers/modders to dl your work.

Please include the following information w/your map:
  • The Map's Name (if it had one).
  • Your name as you want to be credited. (If you want me to use your 'net screen name, or RW name, etc.)
  • Any other information you feel is relevant, even if it's only to give a little background as to your original intent.
Cheers,

OTB

Edited by MV to be Stickied, then edited again by MV to post this little message that he forgot the first time...
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I wonder how many maps War Bringer is going to submit... *ear-to-ear grin*
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

ouch! you bastard! 8O hmmmmmmm...... i've considered it........ but i've also considered holding on to them (hoping i'd complete them some day...)

hmmm....since now there's a place to actually put them... i don't know...

i'll probably throw in the arena map, and that map's pretty much all set except for the entities.

damn it. why did i have the feeling that if someone was going to say something, it was going to be MV. :lol:
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

It's o.k. WarBringer. I thought of quitting too at a time. But I made a promise to deliver "Faces of Oblivion" and I will. So no maps from me OTB! YA HEAR?? :D

Damn I have to go back to creating that tileset. Unfortunatelly, I only have time available on weekends now. Changing jobs sucks at times.

Cheers,

Flamescreen

PS. I didn't even have the time to check your site OTB. Hopefully tomorrow. When should we expect ver 2 of the demo btw? Any final date?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:I thought of quitting too at a time. But I made a promise to deliver "Faces of Oblivion" and I will. So no maps from me OTB! YA HEAR?? :D
I think every one of us has gone through some extreme discouragement at one time or another. It's not like this stuff is a mild Sunday afternoon walk in the park or something.

Remember, Flamescreen, submitting maps to the GoBD doesn't mean you're quitting. All it means is that you have no use for that particular map. I'll be submitting some myself that have fallen by the wayside due to the ever-evolving details of plot and content. One of them is a map I did based heavily on New Reno, while another is a virtual replica of Vault City and still another is a map I started of The Den, which was going to be part of the demo, but since it really didn't reflect how things are done in the campaign it was cut. Lots and lots of time was sunk into these maps, and I don't want to see it all go to waste, ergo I'm freeing them up for other people to use.
Flamescreen wrote:Changing jobs sucks at times.
I'm right there with you! I put in my two week notice at work Sunday morning. Free at last! FREE AT LAST!!! Er...but I can only afford to take a couple of days off before I hit the streets looking for new and improved ways to prostitute myself to the Bourgeoisie...
Flamescreen wrote:When should we expect ver 2 of the demo btw? Any final date?
Well...I'm back to working on it...let's just say, "As soon as my anal-retentive/perfectionist self is satisfied w/this -- as Endocore put it -- 'bloated, nation-sized map'.

There's an unofficial update to my site. I say "unofficial" because I forgot to update some things (e.g. the Initial Recruit Pool). I'll be sending out a notification as soon as I get that done. I am happy to report that Fortune City isn't as sharp as they claim to be. They claim that ZIP files aren't allowed on their servers, but I tested RfaSF's map and it can indeed be dl'd. I'll upload mine along w/any other submissions I get soon.

Cheers,

OTB
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Warning

Post by PaladinHeart »

Well I have had a few websites in the past that I used for various things they didn't allow. Basically the web sites got trashed without notice before I could even retrieve my information. You might want to be careful about those zip files or perhaps rename them to .bos files (I think everyone knows how to deal with .bos files now). If they periodically check for zip files in people's accounts and then take those offending websites down.. Im sure you would be less than thrilled with that.

BTW what is wrong with zip files anyway? What is their problem :P
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Warning

Post by OnTheBounce »

:looks paranoid:

Okay, good point. Better safe than sorry and all that...
[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:BTW what is wrong with zip files anyway? What is their problem :P
FC maintains that they don't allow files over 10 megs or ZIP files in general in order to discourage people using their servers for warez. While I'm not an opponent of warez, I'm not a big fan of punishing everyone due to the actions of a few.

Edit: I just tried uploading a "BOS" file and it didn't work, but ZIP files are kosher. So I check the uploading info section and it seems they have changed the rules since I first moved in there. They do allow ZIP files...however, there is a 1 meg limit on file sizes. :embarassed:

OTB
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Limit

Post by PaladinHeart »

Wow, a one meg limit? I guess web sites can afford to be cheap though when they offer something for free :)

Hopefully I can upload my campaign to someone at DAC or something when its done. My scope is a little high so if it ends up to my expectations it could be well over 50 megs.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Re: Limit

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Wow, a one meg limit? I guess web sites can afford to be cheap though when they offer something for free :)

Hopefully I can upload my campaign to someone at DAC or something when its done. My scope is a little high so if it ends up to my expectations it could be well over 50 megs.
Just make sure that whoever you send it to, their server supports resuming. My 'free' internet connection boots me off every 2 hours making downloading large files complicated, and sometimes impossible.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Wow, a one meg limit? I guess web sites can afford to be cheap though when they offer something for free :)
Yes. I have 100 megs of free space, but nothing on there can be larger than 1 meg. Sort of takes the fun out of it. No?
[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:Hopefully I can upload my campaign to someone at DAC or something when its done. My scope is a little high so if it ends up to my expectations it could be well over 50 megs.
IOOI is nowhere near finished, but it's already roughly 25 megs. So I'd say that if you're aiming for something of the same scope (20 missions) 50 megs is a fairly decent estimate. Of course, if you're going to get all funky and snazzy and have your own random encounter maps, etc., etc., you're probably looking at more.

While this issue is only somewhere out on the horizon, those of us making large campaigns may very well want to look at setting up multiple ZIPs to set the campaign up, to help poor slobs like RfaSF and myself on 56k dial-up connections.

OTB
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

OnTheBounce wrote: While this issue is only somewhere out on the horizon, those of us making large campaigns may very well want to look at setting up multiple ZIPs to set the campaign up, to help poor slobs like RfaSF and myself on 56k dial-up connections.

OTB
Requiem wonders whether to take offence at being called a poor slob. Requiem looks around at the pigsty he calls a flat, and checks bank balance, guess that poor slob is an accurate description. Requiem now wonders how OTB knows.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Requiem wonders whether to take offence at being called a poor slob. Requiem looks around at the pigsty he calls a flat, and checks bank balance, guess that poor slob is an accurate description. Requiem now wonders how OTB knows.
Yep, Req's a Map Rat.

*hugs his cable modem*
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

My Campaign's General Scope

Post by PaladinHeart »

Well there will be at least 17 maps for the main quest. And of course anywhere from 5 to 15 towns (depending on how many I need). Not to mention the 20+ special encounters I have planned (you have to find items to get them), and a scant few special Challenge maps (replacing the old special encounters). There may also be other smaller areas that my campaign may require, as well as areas to deal with other quests/issues.

I also might put in additional random encounter areas, or just replace those that are there altogether (definitely the creature types that appear). I find random encounters are sometimes a bit boring due to the landscape.

Add to that the possible addition of around 1000 entities (that's a very rough number. It could easily be a few hundred more or less).

I could very well be in over my head with this but as long as I don't lose interest I will keep working on it. And I have actually fell in love with my story and characters so far so perhaps it will be done in say.. 10 years? :)
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Re: My Campaign's General Scope

Post by Max-Violence »

[TBC]-PaladinHeart wrote:perhaps it will be done in say.. 10 years? :)
... of which will be before OTB is done with his campaign! Image Image
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

A little, otherwise non-newsworthy update to the IOOI site: I have added my "pseudo New Reno" and "pseudo Vault City" maps to the GoBD. I'm still looking for my "pseudo The Den" map, but I'm having to concede that I may very well have flushed it down the Recycle Bin shortly after I decided not to use it. (Not that big of a loss, really, since it was only roughly 1/3 complete.)

OTB
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Damn your Psuedo Vault City is a fine looking map, I'm glad now that I changed my Powercut map, it started off life as a recreation of the first two Vault City areas no way could it compete.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Why thank you very much, Requiem.

I would really like to see someone use that map as I'd hate for all of the roughly two weeks worth of work that I put into it go to complete waste. The one thing I would recommend that someone would change would be the use of the corrugated metal walls. That map was made before Senor Deluxe released the chainlink fence tiles, but it would be a rather quick fix that would improve the map drastically. (Just make sure to include functioning Laser Turrets unlike the actual VC map in FO2. That was something that I always thought was lacking and I wished the designers had implemented it every time I read of some munchkin sacking the place.)

OTB
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Thanks for these OTB. Much appreciated. you're saving me time from future projects...Gracias

Cheers

Flamescreen
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Flamescreen wrote:...you're saving me time from future projects...
That's what it's all about. :)

Cheers,

OTB
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Nice Maps

Post by PaladinHeart »

Thanks for the maps. I don't know if I will want to use them as-is (since they look EXACTLY like vault city and new reno), but im sure I will find a use for the various buildings and such.

BTW a clip of a basic vault design would be very useful. Anyone got something like that? I Would like to put a few in my campaign but im not very good at doing stuff from memory. I might just need the third level (storage, overseer, computer labs, etc..) since OTB's vault city has the first and 2nd levels (med bay and living quarters).
Our Host!