Tech

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Yeah, one rank in melee makes a huge difference. It always bugged me that some of the premade characters start out with no melee and don't take care of that the first level-up.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

46&2 wrote:Well im pretty sure you didnt have any melee skill then. Just one rank is pretty much enough to kill most lesser monsters without that much trouble.
That would require an expensive skill point. Which was one of the other things that bothered me, the char. development kinda sucked becuase you'd get one point (no matter what just one point) that could be used for either your magic, skills, or stats. I wasn't too keen on that whole idea.
Ezechial_Rage
Regular
Regular

Post by Ezechial_Rage »

I may remember wrong, but wasn't there 2 skill points every 5 levels or something like that?
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Ezechial_Rage wrote:I may remember wrong, but wasn't there 2 skill points every 5 levels or something like that?
True.
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

True? I don't remember that one. You get 5 character points to start the game with & then 1 per level after that.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Insane-Lark wrote:True? I don't remember that one. You get 5 character points to start the game with & then 1 per level after that.
Well. Then you forgot :D You do get a bonus skill point every 5 levels
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

<frowns> I'll take your word for it. I just played this game a couple of months back & for the first time. Would reload & check (despite the graphics/running problems) but I need to fix the CD Rom. You'd think I'd remember something like that.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

paynetothemax wrote:
46&2 wrote:Well im pretty sure you didnt have any melee skill then. Just one rank is pretty much enough to kill most lesser monsters without that much trouble.
That would require an expensive skill point. Which was one of the other things that bothered me, the char. development kinda sucked becuase you'd get one point (no matter what just one point) that could be used for either your magic, skills, or stats. I wasn't too keen on that whole idea.
Expensive skill point? It's not that hard to ace the whole game. Getting Melee up full is easy, as long as you have the dexterity. Getting both can be done before level 20. Once you've got that, the next 30 levels you get enough points to master just about anything you could actually want.

My own tech character was a master Firearms, expert melee and dodge and had gunsmithy, blacksmithy and that-other-one so that I could make Automatons by the dozen.

By the way, Forty-six & Two, dig the avatar :) Do you have the whole series?

On a side note: I too can vouch for the 2 skill points every five levels.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

I said I believed you on the 2pt bonus but can't freaking believe I don't remember that. Seems like a pretty damned big thing to forget.
Kain
SDF!
SDF!
Location: Where am I ? Who are you ? Why is there sand everywhere ?

Post by Kain »

The thing that sucks is that you can't go over lvl 50!!!
Life's a BITCH but I'm worse!!!
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Insane-Lark wrote:I said I believed you on the 2pt bonus but can't freaking believe I don't remember that. Seems like a pretty damned big thing to forget.
Well, a woman of your age should expect to start forgetting big things, shouldn't you? :P
Kain wrote:The thing that sucks is that you can't go over lvl 50!!!
There's a hack that brings that up to level 100. I'm pretty sure it's buried somewhere over on Terra-Arcanum.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Money probs for a techie!? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

3 words: Halfling Techie Theif

Start out by sinking points into prowl and lockpick, 1 in melee. After getting those up, I usually was at Tarent by then. Get into the thieves underground, and up the pick pocket a bit. cash comes in easy, not that you need to buy anything when you just rob everyone anyway.

Finally sunk points into firearms skill and killing the firearms master for his gun, although how he fired it at me, without thumbs, is anyones guess.

Another tech character I had was rich too. Had him exceling in electricity inventions, and I was building the shock staffs (staff and a large capacitator). Selling it to the junk dealer for about 10,000 everytime.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Insane-Lark wrote:I said I believed you on the 2pt bonus but can't freaking believe I don't remember that. Seems like a pretty damned big thing to forget.
Don't worry too much about it. Basically i believe one of the problems for our(as I share the problem) problem is that we worry too much about stuff. Worry less and you'll see a vast improvement.
Kain
SDF!
SDF!
Location: Where am I ? Who are you ? Why is there sand everywhere ?

Post by Kain »

THAT't it!!!You guys talk so much about Arcanum that i'm gonna reinstall it now and PLAY!!! :twisted:
Life's a BITCH but I'm worse!!!
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

Flamescreen wrote:Don't worry too much about it. Basically i believe one of the problems for our(as I share the problem) problem is that we worry too much about stuff. Worry less and you'll see a vast improvement.
Im not really all that worried about it, the mind just boggles that I spent 50 levels & completely forgot that bit. Heck, I still don't remember it despite the fact that I could pretty much tell you how I built my character & his personal storyline through the adventure.

I enjoy immerse RPGs (Goes back to some old text based stuff, Bards Tale, Hitchhikers Guide, up through Fallout) & turn based strategy/war games (ala X-Com, HoMM, Masters of Magic), RT strategy games (Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, Lords of the Realm, Command & Conquer). Occasional shooters & sidescrollers (Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Max Payne). Pretty much a well rounded gamer though I tend to discount flight games & shooters unless some element appeals to me, as they tend to involve the ever-annoying jump puzzle. If I want to jump I'll play side scrolling games.

What connects these? Not much other than, I like having a story to follow & the less direct it is the more fun I have. The exception would be the war/strategy game where the delight lies in long planning, campaigning & some degree of luck. Relating this back to Arcanum, I'd say that I thoroughly enjoyed the tale, developing my character to my personal tastes of that session & watching the story unfold for the first time, not having any idea what would come next.

My SO & I sat here fighting the machine to be able to play this. We teased each other & took completely opposite character types just to explore the differences & check in on each others progress. Even went so far as to declare the other race/faction/sex to be the bane of the realm. I played a male, tech, dwarf & he a fem eleven wizard & did our best to stay in our characters minds & play their reactions first instead of what would logically solve the puzzle with the least friction. It is Role-playing after all & I for one miss tabletop
sessions.

Anyway, what I'm saying is yeah, it annoys me that I forgot this bit but I have good reason to trust DarkUnderlord in my being mistaken. Surely with his website efforts & Arcanum board posting (much more than I have put in a play through) he has shown more dedication & expertise. I learned something & I'll remember this time. Cool.
DarkUnderlord wrote:
Well, a woman of your age should expect to start forgetting big things, shouldn't you? :P
Hehe, I suppose so. Must be time to empty the recycle bin & get rid of some of the trash littering my mind to make more room for those gaming & reading bits.

Rest assured, you will get there yourself one of these days & probably much sooner than you think. :)
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Insane-Lark wrote:
Flamescreen wrote:Don't worry too much about it. Basically i believe one of the problems for our(as I share the problem) problem is that we worry too much about stuff. Worry less and you'll see a vast improvement.
Im not really all that worried about it, the mind just boggles that I spent 50 levels & completely forgot that bit. Heck, I still don't remember it despite the fact that I could pretty much tell you how I built my character & his personal storyline through the adventure.

I enjoy immerse RPGs (Goes back to some old text based stuff, Bards Tale, Hitchhikers Guide, up through Fallout) & turn based strategy/war games (ala X-Com, HoMM, Masters of Magic), RT strategy games (Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, Lords of the Realm, Command & Conquer). Occasional shooters & sidescrollers (Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Max Payne). Pretty much a well rounded gamer though I tend to discount flight games & shooters unless some element appeals to me, as they tend to involve the ever-annoying jump puzzle. If I want to jump I'll play side scrolling games.

What connects these? Not much other than, I like having a story to follow & the less direct it is the more fun I have. The exception would be the war/strategy game where the delight lies in long planning, campaigning & some degree of luck. Relating this back to Arcanum, I'd say that I thoroughly enjoyed the tale, developing my character to my personal tastes of that session & watching the story unfold for the first time, not having any idea what would come next.

My SO & I sat here fighting the machine to be able to play this. We teased each other & took completely opposite character types just to explore the differences & check in on each others progress. Even went so far as to declare the other race/faction/sex to be the bane of the realm. I played a male, tech, dwarf & he a fem eleven wizard & did our best to stay in our characters minds & play their reactions first instead of what would logically solve the puzzle with the least friction. It is Role-playing after all & I for one miss tabletop
sessions.

Anyway, what I'm saying is yeah, it annoys me that I forgot this bit but I have good reason to trust DarkUnderlord in my being mistaken. Surely with his website efforts & Arcanum board posting (much more than I have put in a play through) he has shown more dedication & expertise. I learned something & I'll remember this time. Cool.
To most of the remarks I would have to say I agree. Never played tabletop Rpg's unfortunatelly as there is none here to do that with. Probably the reason I don't enjoy MP, suppose it has grown to a habbit to go solo on this. Great to share a game with your significant other. I like most of the games you listed also, though I don't play almost at all these days.

Doing a mistake is not bad, plus forgetting something doesn't really stand for being a mistake does it? Don't be too hard on yourself, you're no god and definitelly no game is so important we should be pissed on ourselves for forgeting a mere detail. Humans will just not be computers. That's what makes us better.

Cheers,

Flamescreen
Our Host!