fileformats

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
MutantenMeister
SDF!
SDF!

fileformats

Post by MutantenMeister »

is there something like the iesdphttp://www.teambg.com/iesdp/ for Fallout :?:
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Not really, the info is spread all over the net (well ok, mostly 3 or 4 sites), and some of it is contained within the editors themselves (like FUCK and FIC).

TeamX used to have a page at fallout.ru wich featured a bunch of documentation on various formats but their page is down. I think the actual download page is still there but I can't find it... Thankfully i downloaded everything I could from there, even russian stuff regardless of wether I can understand it..

Most of the formats are fairly well known, but there is still quite a bit of unknown stuff in all. Depending on what you want to do I could point you (or send you) the proper information.
MutantenMeister
SDF!
SDF!

what I'interrested in by now is the .dat and the .map format. I have the .dat format but only in russian ;(...
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

TeamX used to have a page at fallout.ru wich featured a bunch of documentation on various formats but their page is down. I think the actual download page is still there but I can't find it
http://www.fallout.ru/projects/MOD/files/
Red

Post by Red »

Goodie, thanks temaperacl :)

Well unless you plan on making your own viewer/mapper/editor for the game I really don't see why you need those formats, specially pending BIS themselves make their editor available.

For the DAT format, the link posted by Temaperacl includes the f1undat source (pascal with inline ASM) which is more readable than Russian to me :P... You could always try and translate the thing into english via babelfish.altavista.com but that probably won't be great... With said source, passing to fo2 format shouldn't be so hard as the format didn't change that much.

The guys from TeamX might be able to help out ( www.hot.ee/fallout ) if you mail them... Ideally I'd guess you'd speak with MatuX if he'd still be active in the scene since he might be more cooperative in sharing his work (because of his inactivity)...

As for the map, well, there's some documentation on the site in Russian again, as well as "mapinfo" which yields some information about the map, but again askign Dims from TeamX would probably yield much more information given he's the one making the fan-based-mapper...
MutantenMeister
SDF!
SDF!

i wanted to make something like infinity explorer http://infexp.sourceforge.net/ for fallout and i wanted to make some tools so that converting from fallout to the infinity engine (bg,bg2,iwd,...) is easyer. I will ask Dim that if he gives me a description off the map format or at least includes an "export to bmp" option in his mapper, so that taking it over to bg is made easyer.
thanks for your help.
Red

Post by Red »

Well it all depends waht you want to convert... I mean the whole engines use radically different systems so I really don't see how you could just make a "converter"...

We already have the specs for most of the PRO stuff and FRM stuff so that's pretty easy and apart from the maps everything's contained in that apart from speech and some other stuff, but that's all in text mode so it's not as if it'd be complicated to understand.
MutantenMeister
SDF!
SDF!

Actually it was an idea that apeared on the teambg forums:
http://www.teambg.net/forum/?board=24;a ... eadid=5688
and for this idea it would be usefull to easyly convert files from fallout to bg (import items,maps,animations...)
Our Host!