Prefab Characters

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Prefab Characters

Post by Umpa »

How do you make one???
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

A Prefab from Scratch

Post by OnTheBounce »

Okay, here's how you make a prefab from scratch:

(You have unpacked all of the locale files, right? The ones I'm talking about are the ones in core/locale/game such as characters.txt. As well as the campaign.txt in core/tables and the bos.cam file.)

First, use the entity editor to create your character. Write down exactly what you entered under "Display Name" and make sure that nothing is entered under "Custom Name". If you screw up on the first count, your character's name will not display correctly, and if you have something entered in "Custom Name" your bio will not show up.

Now, open the characters.txt and look for the other prefab character's entries. You will need to make the following entries:

name_whateverYouNamedYourCharacter = {WhateverYouWantYourCharacter'sNameToBe}

desc_whateverYouNamedYourCharacter = {YourCharacter'sBio}

Close and save the file.

Now, open the campaign.txt which is located under core/tables. Go down to "Prefab Characters". (It's at the very bottom of this rather long file.) Here you will want to make an entry for your character. All this consists of is the path that you saved the file under. I'm not sure if the game requires you to have it in the same directory as the other prefabs (entities/special/prefabs), but to be safe you should probably save your character there.

Now all that you have to do is open the bos.cam file with the campaign editor and go to the Tools tab and select "Import Recruits". Then save and close the file.

You should be set then, except that you will not have a character portrait for your character. If you don't know how to do this, let me know.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Our Host!