better idea for the G11 rifle

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

FireWolf wrote:gun collectors would keep those kind of weapons.
True, but I assume they would be a rarity in 2070's. It's almost like having a 18th century sword on your wall.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

The M16 was chosen for a couple of reasons. One is that they wanted a rifle capable of fully automatic fire. The M14 is only capable of firing in three round bursts. The second is also that they wanted a rifle that used the NATO standard round, even though it's a crappier round than the .30-'06. (I think that's what the M14 used. I know it's what the Garand used.)
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

The 2nd prototype looks the most retro to me.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

or the alien blaster

hehe, that was like The best gun in FO1, especially for muties
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Doyle wrote:The M16 was chosen for a couple of reasons. One is that they wanted a rifle capable of fully automatic fire. The M14 is only capable of firing in three round bursts. The second is also that they wanted a rifle that used the NATO standard round, even though it's a crappier round than the .30-'06. (I think that's what the M14 used. I know it's what the Garand used.)
The M-16 is also better at long range than the M-14. That was one of the requirements for the weapon. The army noticed that aimed kills at long range were basically on the same order as those of cover fire, so they wanted something that was better at hitting targets that were far off.

However, that's off the topic really. :)

There's no reason why nearly all the prototype/real world rifles in Fallout 2 were better than the 2050+ AD slug throwers. Compared to those, the AK112 Assault Rifle was a tinker toy in the game.
------------------
James
Respected
Respected

Post by James »

The M16 was chosen for a couple of reasons.
Not to mention you can carry a whole lot more 5.56mm for an equivalent wieght of 30-06 or 7.62mm.
The M14 is only capable of firing in three round bursts
IIRC there is a version (the M14A1???) which is fully automatic.
What I think happend was they created a bunch of weapons from the real world and made statistics based on those weapons etc, then filled up the gaps in the effectivity table with invented weapons.
My opinion on why they included so many real world guns (especially in FOT) is pretty cynical: dude lkie it wld be l33t to use teh wpeans frm counterstike!

Lets just hope they don't do it again if they make a FO3.
"Ancient Greece was ahead of its time, and before our time. They had no TV, but they had lots of philosophers.
I, personally, would not want to sit all evening watching a philosopher."
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

true they probably went for well known weapons over what would be more fallout-y. like the desert eagle.

S.P. I think the m14 is extremely accurate. Dunno tho, I'll have to talk to Hammer about it, last I heard he was arrested for carrying a Thompson around.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Maybe it would be best if they were to invent a whole range of imaginary weapons and leave out any of the real-world guns that were in the previous games.

State of the art laser-tech handguns and automatic rifles squirting caseless ammunition dont fit in the retro-style world of Fallout.

I liked the 10mm pistol/Smg and ak112 due to the fact they looked falloutish and had reasonable stats....they were fictive, so why not apply this rule to all equipment.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I'd say the energy weapons, which really fit into the 1950's sci-fi thing.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

If they really want to fit into the 50's sci-fi thing with the energy weapons they could have all the enery weapons in the game be all boxish and make that annoying EEERRRRRRRRRRR noise.

I'd say that they fit in better than some of the stuff in the game.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I agree with the "Imaginary Weapons"-thingie... AK-112 was cool, so why not MP-99 for example? Fires 10mm rounds, is one heap of a better than the generic 10mm SMG?

Or Cavalier Shotgun, a double-barrelled hunting weapon?

Just make up the names, so there's no need to be precise with the stats! :wink:
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

The description of the SMG already labels it as 'MP9'. There wouldn't be much point in having another 'MP' series submachinegun in the game unless it were a different caliber, really.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

The two shotguns in the game are both Winchesters. :)
------------------
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Doyle wrote:The description of the SMG already labels it as 'MP9'. There wouldn't be much point in having another 'MP' series submachinegun in the game unless it were a different caliber, really.
Is it?? :o Damn I just ripped the "9" from the wind, didn't know the 10mm SMG was already named that... But you get the point, eh? No *real* guns, especially no WW2 or older. Make up the names, let your imagination handle the stats.
James
Respected
Respected

Post by James »

Maybe it would be best if they were to invent a whole range of imaginary weapons and leave out any of the real-world guns that were in the previous games.

This easily the best solution.

But, let them keep *one* DE if they want.
"Ancient Greece was ahead of its time, and before our time. They had no TV, but they had lots of philosophers.
I, personally, would not want to sit all evening watching a philosopher."
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

But it should be, .479 caliber or something like that... Imaginary cartridge, you know :wink:
Miracleasd
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Miracleasd »

seems to be a few misconceptions about the g11.

it wasnt dropped in favor of the oicw. its funding was cut by the german government (something the do a lot apparently) and they opted for the g36 instead.

its mags were very easy to load, it used 3 mags mounted on the upper front section (50 rounds per mag) that just slid on (the concept led to developments for the p90 top loading mag)

i'd say the latest version was better.
Cipher
Respected
Respected

Post by Cipher »

Um, the M16 wouldn't out shoot a M14 at range or close up for that matter. One of the issues with the M16 was that it lacked the range and accuracy of the M14 let alone the power. I love the AR series and the 5.56 ammo so I am not putting it down. The latter models are much much better than the fir M16 rifles.

Anyways the FN Fal should kick all of the other gun asses.

A good example of a game that uses fictional guns it the game and P&P RPG ~Shadowrun~ I think that SR is my most aniticipated PC games release and the FO3 follows closly.
Griffin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Griffin »

I agree that there should be imaginary weapons created just for the Fallout universe. However, they should still have names that will help the player recognize their type (i.e. the MP9 and AK-112 previously mentioned), along with made-up ones.
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

I don't like real world weapons at all. If only i could, i would get rid of them all - they only mess the game. I liked the G11 guns in Fo2, but i'd rather have something based on G11. Maybe g111 or smth but i can't stand that the real world guns are better than some futuristic weapons like AK112 or P90.
I like BIG guns...
Our Host!