better idea for the G11 rifle

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

better idea for the G11 rifle

Post by Strap »

i was looking around the internet for info on the G11 rifle. cause its really cool. and it uses caseless ammo, and such.

well, i stumbled uppon some pics of some of the prototypes, now tell me, which one looks most retro and would be best for FO3?

newest version

13th prototype:

or the 2nd prototype?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I like the 2nd one best.

You can make anything look retro...just paint it gold, bronze or silver, stick a few cogs and ping-pong balls onto the side and strip a few panels off. Retro.
:chew:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yeah, 2nd one looks best.

13th prototype is just ugly. :?
Blacken
Respected
Respected

Post by Blacken »

From why I've heard, the second prototype was the one most prone to mishaps. So I'll say a totally different version: the G11-GHGS, 'cause it looks the coolest.

However, if you want production models, gimme a G112K.

G11-GHGS

G112K
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

I'm going to have to go with "none of the above" since the gun felt completely out of place to me.

Also, I think that link is wrong, Blacken. <a href="http://www.hkpro.com/g11.htm">This article</a> places the request at 1970 rather than 1980. In my opinion, 1970 makes a lot more sense.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

I like the 1st one best, the "newest version".
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

I'n my view the newest looks the nicest, but not really the most retro... but then again perhaps it does. I like the newer version anyway.

I believe the g11 project was put on hold though in favour of the OICW, correct me if i am wrong.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Ixian
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Ixian »

The newest model looks the best to me.
Yeah, sure; whatever comforts you.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Just cover the "newest version" in a rusty look and apply some minor damaging (scratches / dints).
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
James
Respected
Respected

Post by James »

None of them should be in fallout though....

Is it me, or is that a reflex sight on the second prototype? It doesn't seem long enough for much else.
"Ancient Greece was ahead of its time, and before our time. They had no TV, but they had lots of philosophers.
I, personally, would not want to sit all evening watching a philosopher."
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

I agree with James. Maybe if that request were made in 1950s, but 1970s is 20 years too late.
------------------
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:I agree with James. Maybe if that request were made in 1950s, but 1970s is 20 years too late.
And that theory rules out about 1/3 of Fallout 2 weapons.. :roll:

Not that it's wrong, I'd like to see different style of weapons in Fallout 3, no modern weaponary and assault rifles. But some versions of the G11 look retro though, too bad they were developed in the 70's.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i posted them because considering that (i think) every weapon from FO1 was in FO2... id think that at least most of the guns from FO2 will be in FO3.

and plus, it would be better to change the g11 from that high-tech not retro look from FO2 into some wierd (possibly prone to jamming) g11 prototype that isnt extremely high-tech looking.

BTW do you know how caseless ammo works? its really cool... and a good idea.
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

Gotta agree with James and St P. Generic names only please.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

Granted, the gun doesn't really fit into the fallout style.

Which gun in fallout do you think looks the most fallout-y

Personally I'd go with the 10mm Pistol and 10mm sub
DeepOmega
Regular
Regular

Post by DeepOmega »

It's a nice looking mutha... But I dig the generic names, man.
Peace and much love...
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

VasikkA wrote:And that theory rules out about 1/3 of Fallout 2 weapons.. :roll:

Not that it's wrong, I'd like to see different style of weapons in Fallout 3, no modern weaponary and assault rifles. But some versions of the G11 look retro though, too bad they were developed in the 70's.
Well, there's a number of reasons why half those weapons in Fallout 2, the real world ones/prototypes don't fit Fallout at all. They should have never been added in the first place, but chaulk that up to BIS's mantra of "Quanity over Quality." with just a pinch of a lack of imagination.

The "Fallout is based on 1950s sci-fi" is really only part of the problem with them. It's a pretty big part though as it screws with the atmosphere to have all your surroundings being retro-50s and you packing a 1990s era rifle prototype.

Another big part is that the weapons from the 1990s, the real world ones, being better than the ones used and developed just before the Great War. For example, the G11 versus the AK-112 Assault Rifle.
  • * CAWS 15-25 Damage Real World Prototype
    * G11E 13-23 Damage Real World Prototype
    * FN FAL 9-18 Damage Real World Weapon
    * AK112 8-16 Damage Pre-Great War Weapon
You're talking about a weapon that was put in to use several years after a clearly superior weapon. That just doesn't make a lick of sense, does it? Not only are they out of place with the setting, but they're just plain out of place in terms of how they were balanced.

The FN FAL makes a bit of sense, because it was developed in the 1950s, but why is it better than the AK112 which was developed 100 years later?
------------------
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

well there is an answer to that but its a bit crap.

lets take the example of the m16. the m14 was the predessesor and was an excellent combat rifle. well balanced with excellent accuracy, reliability etc etc. the m16 was a slightly inferior weapon which was brougth into service by the american army for some odd reason. As far as i can remember it was due to the image of the weapon or possibly that the materials of the weapon wouldnt perish in the jungles of vietnam. If you want to know the exact reasons behind this change ask Hammer, he loves the m14.

so sometimes weapons are replaced for other reasons than their actual effectiveness in battle. It's not a good excuse, and I dont think BIS were thinking along those lines when they made the weapons.

What I think happend was they created a bunch of weapons from the real world and made statistics based on those weapons etc, then filled up the gaps in the effectivity table with invented weapons.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I'd say the best thing about Fallout weaponary was the mix of lead and energy. Old tech vs. new tech. Miniguns, 9mm pistols and SMGs, sawed off shotguns represented the Mad Max style post-apocalypse and laser/plasma/pulse/gauss pistols and rifles represented the 50's style retrofuturistic weapon technology. Because of this everything in between felt a bit funny: assault rifles, CAWS, Pancor jackhammers etc..
Also, I think WWII weaponary are not quite suitable, such as the Mauser. There's really no point believing those weapons were in use when bombs were dropped, well maybe in some museum.

I'm no weapon expert and for a moment I thought G11 was 1950's era weapon, it looks kinda oldish. Oh well.. :roll:
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

gun collectors would keep those kind of weapons.

the HKg11 looks simple because its meant to be rugged. there's no bits to have clogged etc. it just wasnt deemed feasable tho or something plus loading the magazine is difficult.
Our Host!