A question regarding making a fan-based Fallout...

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Ugh.. No.. Dear lord, no. No more ugly Japanese console looking PC RPGs.
------------------
Firebrand
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Firebrand »

What I meant by that was that the style of the genre of fantasy and technology would be blended together in a way similar to what was done in those games. i.e. a castle with computer equipment, a fire-breathing dragon, and a huge robot with rocket launchers, that type of thing. Not looking to reproduce anime-style characters or make anything look like a console game. I just always liked how they blended magic and technology. Of course, we might go for a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk thing, but we're not sure yet. We were really hoping for a Fallout game.
[End of Line]
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

One of the main features I liked about fallout was that it didnt slip to magic, it stays within reasonable feasability. The FEV mutants, the radiation, the society, are all pretty believeable. Not so with magic. I enjoy magic games, sure, I play RPGs like Dungeon siege and Neverwinter Nights but those games are a different breed from post apocalyptic RPGs like fallout.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I think most of use feel that way too. Magic, spirits and other supernatural stuff doesn't belong to fallouts. Nor do dragons and castles, no matter how much they would be dripping with FEV. Fallout is something unique and shouldn't be mixed with other genres or RPGs. Just look at the response 'Fallout Fantasy' got when it was in the topics.
Firebrand
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Firebrand »

I agree wholeheartedly. Fallout should stay Fallout. Like I said, my team and I were discussing different game ideas and the futuristic techno-fantasy idea was one of the top 2 next to a Fallout game.

When I heard the rumor about a "Fallout fantasy" title, I was a bit disgusted at the idea, myself. I've always been the kind of person that wanted movie and game makers to stick to their respected genres, and respect the continuity of their franchise. One game I have to say did this really well, and that was System Shock 2. Fallout 2 came close, but missed the target a bit, I think.
[End of Line]
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

8O
Last edited by Jimmyjay86 on Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Why make something derivative? As long as you are starting completely from scratch make your own story. It can have a PA theme but just give it a completely different storyline. Go to the Apocalypse Fiction Page to find a good story and ask the author if you can make a game based on it or write your own story. If its good and post-apocalyptic people will play it regardless if it has the name Fallout in it or not. There is nothing magical about the Fallout name or story.
Our Host!