The Burrows

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
TimCain
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by TimCain »

*waves to Chris*

I suppose the burning question is what did Chris think of the poodle launcher as a secret weapon? :P

Tim.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Tim: he put it in Fallout Tactics!
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Seven
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Seven »

The burrows would have been a nice area, but it would have probably been a large bone of contention. Not that there weren't other things that weren't , or couldn't have been as "risky" such as Harold (almost five years later and we still aren't clear as to whether he's a mutant, goul or tree).
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

GOD! O GOD!
THIS IS THE EQUIVELT OF ME STEPPING INTO A ROOM WHERE MARTIN SCORSASE AND KUBRICK ARE DISCUSSING MOVIES!

TIM F**N CAIN AND CHRISTAYLOR!
BREATH CBR, BREATHH!
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

Good God CBR that had nothing to do with the topic. Don't Spam.

Personaly I am glad that the burrows were left out of the game. As has been said before it sounds a little too much like somthing from a fantasy game.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Seven wrote:The burrows would have been a nice area, but it would have probably been a large bone of contention.
I have to agree with Rosh. If they didn't talk, and didn't have names, that might have been decent. Then again, there would be problems figuring out a way of communications with them based on their posturing. It'd be a problem of the player's intelligence figuring out what was going on versus the character's intelligence.

I didn't care much for the idea of a forest in Fallout either. I like the scorched earth wasteland look of Fallout.
Not that there weren't other things that weren't , or couldn't have been as "risky" such as Harold (almost five years later and we still aren't clear as to whether he's a mutant, goul or tree).
Tim said Harold was a special ghoul.
------------------
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
Oh, and Flamescreen is a moron. Quantity is NOT Quality.

However, if anything from the original design should be added, it would be the ability to get dipped and keep playing.
You're wrong at that, since you're assuming I said Quantity without Quality. I didn't see anything in FO being of low quality. And to clarify things I didn't include in my comments "talking Rackoons with Elvish names". I made the assumption they would change that before putting this area on game. The general design of the area(religion of Glow, not state of the art buildings, Tree that is a gothering hall etc.) I did like and I stand on this opinion.

Oh, and calling someone names, is NOT what I would expect from a Moderator/Administrator. Displaying our Encyclopedic knowledge, are we?
I have an opinion, and I "feel" I do have the right to post about it. I'm nobody's follower, but myself's. Is this forum under a Dictatorship I don't know about? Let me know, about it. In the end you could quote Bobby Knight about my opinion, couldn't you?
Last edited by Flamescreen on Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Forest.
I know the desert wasteland look is essential in Fallout, but forests or dead forests wouldn't be totally unexplainable. The nuclear devastation have burned down all forests in Northern America, but the burnt, black and dead trees could still stand there somewhere, right? Maybe not in the vicinity to nuke craters but perhaps in mountainy areas with low or none population. I think a sort of 'dead' environment would fit in the game, not lush forests and grasslands.
Last edited by VasikkA on Sun May 28, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob_Merritt
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Rob_Merritt »

As someone who played the post apoc RPG Gamma World for 15 some years before Fallout, a Forest of talking Mutant Animals seems natural to me. The whole mutant animal angle was missing from Fallout, and at the time it didn't jump out and screem at me, I now know. It should of been include (barring the wants and wishes of the Dark Lords, aka the lawyers of TSR/Wizzards of the Coast :? ).

As for Harold, I've come to the conclusion that after his little incident, aliens found him, played with his dna, and placed him back on earth before he awoke.

And a question for Tim: Any idea when we will hear about Troika's next project? Guess e3 2003?
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Flamescreen wrote: You're wrong at that, since you're assuming I said Quantity without Quality.
No, that's exactly what you said. Here, again, in case you forgot:
Of course it should have been. The more the better, and if it is that good it's a pitty you don't see it in the end. Perhaps in a future FO a revised version could be included.
I didn't see anything in FO being of low quality. And to clarify things I didn't include in my comments "talking Rackoons with Elvish names". I made the assumption they would change that before putting this area on game.
No, you made the assumption that people would either magically crack your skull open and read your mind, or you're seriously trying to cover your own ass here in a frantic manner. Nevermind about the accusations and other sniveling, what you posted did state that more was better without even formulating any stance with any other information. Go back and re-read it if your memory needs the help.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

O.K I'll grant you that Rosh, I still think it is clear since I include the "revised" comment in the end of the post, and even if I didn't, but theoritically, since people aren't carbon copies of each other, there is a number of them, especially if they don't come from my home country, that could not understand it.

Actually, for that purposes and only, I should at least, be given the doubt of "not speaking my mind properly-or not in a way that non inhabitants of my country would understand clearly". You're not thinking everyone is a native english-speaking here, are you? As a Moderator/Administrator someone should be experienced to see that possibility. I don't think St. Proverbious got into Admin/Mod "yesterday"(local phrase to indicate someone is experienced in something). That's not to say I've been unclear, but it is a possibility, you for one didn't understand it.

I can assure you I'm not at all trying to cover for myself as I don't think it would be necessary, as you'll notice that I state I retain my opinion about the area. I simply defend myself against anyone's comments when they're against me in an inapropriate manner. I wouldn't have a problem with it, as I don't have anything against St. Proverbious(whom generally I find very knowledgable on stuff he's talking about and usually I find myself agreeing with), if the certain word wasn't there but as it is...

Still, the point remains he shouldn't respond that way (IMHO), as I believe Moderators/Administrators should always give the good example even to the smallest aspect and certainly in their choise of words. Call me an idealist, call me a whinner, but it is what I believe.

What? Can't I believe that people can be along certain lines at all times? I challenge you to find something similar towards a person in my posts. What am I? Mr. supercool headed?
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

You done crying? Can we get back on topic?
------------------
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I love the admins here at DAC.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

And we love your avatar Guybrush.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

There's so much love in the room. I feel a warm fuzzy feeling all over...
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I don't think a forest would have fit in much, and I'm tryig to imagine small racoons talking, and that leads to final fantasy and wondering what the burning death animation would look like.

Personally I don't think it would have been such a good idea. (Well mabye not the forest part...and the racoons could have mabye been something more...weirder?) I would'nt have minded some kind of bio-dome though with loads of traps. And mabye the racoons could be...um.....midgets? Or children. Or just stick with racoons, as I don't see why they would be experimenting with children in an FEV base....

...mabye monkeys
:chew:
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Well, I suppose the talking Racoons would've been an indicator for the talking Deathclaws in Fallout 2.

Whinge of the day.
"Well, Racoons talk, so why not Deathclaws? Let's make them cute and fuzzy while we're at it! Nah, better leave that for Fallout Tactics."

I'm glad the area was dropped. It would've made the game more "interesting" and certainly would've given it a more weird sci-fi approach but the way I see Fallout doesn't include talking rodents.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Det0x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Det0x »

there be them talkin rodents in gecko... the one rat that whats to rule the world...
[Khans]Det0x
AKA Murdoc
Neocron
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Det0x wrote:there be them talkin rodents in gecko... the one rat that whats to rule the world...
Well, that's the ironic part.

1.) Tim Cain deems talking animals wrong for Fallout.
2.) Fallout 2 begins development.
3.) Tim Cain leaves Interplay/BIS.
4.) BIS puts talking rats, spore plants, deathclaws, etc. in to Fallout 2.

Is it any wonder why people would rather listen to Tim?
------------------
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

And the intelligent radscorpion in Broken Hills, the one who played chess. It just amazes me why this stuff was included. Who had the main responsibility in BIS of deciding these things after Mr. Cain left?
Our Host!