Should I get Skyrim?

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

There's something negative about your posts that makes me hate you, and I'm no ES fan by any means. :/
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Seeing as you're a guy who isn't well read enough to understand "Terran" and "battlecruiser" have been used outside of Starcraft for decades (back to Latin for the former, and at least since World War II for the later), I find it hard to care about your opinion.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Pöst mëtä mëtä.

Post by Blargh »

Thërë's [i]sömëthing[/i] äböüt Übër-Köi wrote:hate
Ahahahaha. Priceless ! :drunk:
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

One of my friends bought the game for me at launch despite my protests, and I really couldn't stomach it. Incredibly bland and shallow. I think one of the most important staples of any series or reasonably long game is the escalation, i.e. Dragonball Z "Oh, but this guy is even MORE powerful!." or any other RPG worth playing having you kill rats in a cellar for the first quest. Humble beginnings and there's always a more threatening challenge around the corner, which keeps you excited until it's time to take on the big bad.

What Skyrim does instead is has you kill a dragon in one on one combat at level one. You know, I've read an entire series of novels that had one single dragon as the be all and end all finale heart stopper, but Todd&Co decided they were about breaking established practices and had you just flog a dragon to death and then absorb it's soul in the first 20 minutes of the game.

Well it was kind of a stupid gamble to begin with but that really just fucking broke the game for me. Was this some sort of world where people were more powerful than dragons? Bears, too? Were dragons on the lowest end of the baddassedry scale, existing solely to fuel the player's shouts?

So escalation was thrown out the window, because now a bear was more exciting to fight than a dragon, and you could find both of those in abundance in any case.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281

This mod endeavors to fix that, and has actually made the game worth playing for me. Amazing how much it feels like a real RPG now. Removes level scaling, rebalances enemies. No more arbitrary variation in hitpoints between humans, and no fucking way are you going to run around killing dragons even at level 10. The mod maker's put in a lot of effort to tweaking and re-balancing everything, and he's done a fantastic job of showing how utterly incompetent Bethesda are at making anything other than a framework to insert mods.
Our Host!