Should I get Skyrim?

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Should I get Skyrim?

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I've been pretty bored lately and despite many people hating bethesda, the game is getting a lot of players and a lot seem to be enjoying it (playing it a lot). What is your guys' thoughts?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

No. If you really want to get it, wait eight or nine months, whenever they come out with a GOTYE that comes with some shitty, overpriced DLC already included [not to mention a lower sticker price].
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I bought it with some birthday money some family gave me since all my friends were buying it and I think overall its okay. Bethesda knows their own lore so the writing isn't as bad as their other games, and besides the bland gameplay the exploring actually is pretty fun. That said, when Saints Row the Third came out I haven't really touched it since, and I'm already waiting for mods to help spice the game up besides fixing bad texture resolutions which shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

jetbaby wrote:No. If you really want to get it, wait eight or nine months, whenever they come out with a GOTYE that comes with some shitty, overpriced DLC already included [not to mention a lower sticker price].
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

The short - What Jetbaby said.

The long - No. It's a typical besthapo game, it has a lot of pomp and is frankly surprisingly satisfying while you're still learning the ropes but once you're past that 6-7 hour barrier and you've identified what's what, you realize there's fuck all to do aside from walking around and fighting shit. And there's two of the problems; there's nothing in this avalanche of nordic medievalry you haven't seen before and the combat, while better than Obliv, is still shite. What you're left with is a shallow game world that hardly has any interest, user made content aside and there's still no construction set. Like Oblivion, this is the shit right now, give it a couple of months and it'll just be shit, but worth it for the mods and by then, perhaps a worthwhile buy. Right now it isn't, particularly considering it's also buggy as fuck (way past F:NV levels). Oh and the RPG? Easy, there isn't one.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Tofu Man wrote:The short - What Jetbaby said.

The long - No. It's a typical besthapo game, it has a lot of pomp and is frankly surprisingly satisfying while you're still learning the ropes but once you're past that 6-7 hour barrier and you've identified what's what, you realize there's fuck all to do aside from walking around and fighting shit.
That's pretty much the last 3 TES games from what I've been told.

Wouldn't piss on them if I saw them on fire myself. I don't do the action/adventure thing.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I pirated it briefly to see how shitty it was before deleting it. In addition to all the valid complaints here, the menu navigation is horrible, sometimes requiring you to click and sometimes requiring you to use arrow keys, and never making it clear when to use what.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

They still don't do demos, huh? Can't have people thinking for themselves.
Typical Bethesda, shiny but shallow RPG-lite.

Making RPGs for people who hate RPGs.

They are to RPGs what TacoBell is to mexican food.
The_Sights
SDF!
SDF!

Post by The_Sights »

Everyone on this forum, hates everything, its like no matter how a game is, its still shit.

@Pooperscooper, i payed 110 bucks for the game and the guide, and ive got about 20 hours on it, my girlfriend has a bout 20 aswell. so already. thats 40 hours of fun, for 100 bucks, what more do you want?

the combat system is revamped, the graphics are pretty, the magic system received a complete overhaul, as did mamy aspects.

tl;dr its better than any other game your going to get
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

The_Sights wrote:Everyone on this forum, hates everything, its like no matter how a game is, its still shit.
Clearly you haven't read much on this forum, hell, even in this very thread.
the combat system is revamped, the graphics are pretty, the magic system received a complete overhaul, as did mamy aspects.
"All the work one cares to add will not turn a mud pie into an apple tart; it remains a mud pie, value zero."
tl;dr its better than any other game your going to get
That is a terrifying, terrifying lie or, god help you, you have missed out on a lot of good games in your [assuming short?] life.

Long story short, you're really in the wrong place to be a Bethesda fangirl.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

jetbaby wrote: "All the work one cares to add will not turn a mud pie into an apple tart; it remains a mud pie, value zero."
I'm glad to see you're not a Communist.

But all joking aside, all your points are valid. There are a lot of games the majority of DAC hates, and rightly so because they're shit, while good games we tend to be divided on.
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

The_Sights wrote:Image
Nice try. I almost thought you were serious until I realized you said you had also bought a guide. Nobody should ever be stupid enough to buy a guide for any kind of game, especially for something as simple as a Bethesda game.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

The_Sights wrote: the combat system is revamped, the graphics are pretty, the magic system received a complete overhaul, as did mamy aspects.
That really has nothing to do with making it a good RPG.

Choice and consequences, a dynamic world that reacts to your actions, well written dialogue that's what makes a good RPG. Those are things Bethesda doesn't do. They dumb things down and whore them out for the console crowd who really isn't discerning enough to give a shit.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

It's better than Oblivion but it still kind of a letdown once you progress considerably. Once you learn how to exploit the system and realize that the whole game is riddled with tedium than it hits you that it is a Bethesda game afterall. I would rather play Call of Duty than be some cosplaying ES butternut anyway.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

SenisterDenister wrote:I almost thought you were serious until I realized you said you had also bought a guide(...)
The guide woulda been the least of it. 's much worse speding (or wanting others to believe you spent) 110$ on shit you could've gotten for free. Oh well, at least we was entertain'd for 2 seconds. :drunk:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I bought the game and maybe put 30 minutes into it, didn't really feel like playing but I can't really judge it based on that. I'll probably play some more soon but for some reason I just don't feel like playing a fantasy rpg right now gosh.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The_Sights wrote: @Pooperscooper, i payed 110 bucks for the game and the guide, and ive got about 20 hours on it, my girlfriend has a bout 20 aswell. so already. thats 40 hours of fun, for 100 bucks, what more do you want?
the way i see it, thats 110 bucks and 40 hours completely wasted. I'm sorta sick of folks seeing gaming as a valid hobby. It's a diversion and entertainment, but its also a bottomless pit of money and time that could be invested in the real world. "40 hours of fun"? It sounds like you're describing a crack binge.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

What you describe reading anything outside of nonfiction?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Manoil wrote:What you describe reading anything outside of nonfiction?
yeah, true. Sorry, I was just being a hater this morning. But fuck, 110 dollars for a game and guide?! I would need a ton of disposable income to consider that these days. 18 year old DML... well that's a different story. He was thick headed.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I tend to look at what I buy in a price/time/quality kind of equation. For example: I make $13.50 an hour. Saints Row, costing $50, costs me about 4 hours of work after tax is figured in. So far I've barely scratched the surface of a quality game and that 4 hours of work has gotten me 18 hours of entertainment with the promise of more entertainment to come.

Bethesda games are the the Twilight of videogames. They come in a nice wrapper but are so devoid of personality that the player invests whatever they want of themselves into it. While perfect for people who don't enjoy thinking about what they're doing, this kind of game is fine.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!