Is Mass Effect 2 worth $5?

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Is Mass Effect 2 worth $5?

Post by Retlaw83 »

Saw it on a Steam sale, and the premise intrigues me, but I gather that if you've played one Bioware game (so far as the storyline is concerned) you've played them all.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I enjoyed Mass Effect 2, but Mass Effect 1 was better solely because of Mako planet exploring. I would say $5 is ok.

Edit: You've also got 3 hours left to buy it at that price according to the Steam Sale Countdown Clock.

Edit: Edit: It's showing up as $12.49 for me!

Edit MK3: Mass Effect 1 is on sale for $5, not 2. In which case then yes, yes indeed buy it for $5. So much Mako exploring.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Assuming you still haven't made up your mind, ME 1 is not a very good RPG nor a very good shooter, but it is (was) quite unique and enjoyable to go through. The writing's not out of this world but the story makes a decent amount of sense. As far as entertainment goes, it's a fair bit above those insufferable Syfy channel shows. Also, excellent ost. Definetly worth 5$.

2, on the other hand is a much better shooter, but a much worse everything else. What story/plot there was is completely and mercilessly murdered about 5 minutes in, the interplay with companions is lower-tier mexican telenovela affair, what little RPG there was is gone, planet scanning is as much fun as watching paint dry and the ending manages to be even more ridiculous than anything up to that point, and that's saying something. 5$, yeah sure, but 13$? Eh.... It's bubblegum entertainment, so if that's what you want, then sure, it's worth 2 movie tickets, I suppose it'll last you longer than 2 average films.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Mako Fan N.1! wrote:(...)solely because of Mako planet exploring.(...)

(...)Edit: MAKO EXPLORING!!(...)

(...)Edit MK3: So much MAKO exploring!!!!111oneone!!(...)
It's official. Koc has been killed in an egyptian riot and been replaced by a masochist. We shall weep.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Shows up at $4.99 for the normal and $7.29 for the deluxe on my end.

Something in my gut tells me I'd be happier with the $5.
- the Vault Dweller
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Tofu Man wrote:
Mako Fan N.1! wrote:(...)solely because of Mako planet exploring.(...)

(...)Edit: MAKO EXPLORING!!(...)

(...)Edit MK3: So much MAKO exploring!!!!111oneone!!(...)
It's official. Koc has been killed in an egyptian riot and been replaced by a masochist. We shall weep.
Now look what you've gone and made me do.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

IMHO, Mako exploring would have been a great deal more entertaining had the planets in ME1 had logical design rather than near-random heightmapping. The spikes in terrain are a serious pain in the ass when the sole interest is getting to mineral deposits.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Oh, god almighty. :rofl:

Still, could be worse, at least he doesn't fancy the planet scanner...
Manoil wrote:IMHO, Mako exploring would have been a great deal more entertaining had the planets in ME1 had logical design rather than near-random heightmapping. The spikes in terrain are a serious pain in the ass when the sole interest is getting to mineral deposits.
Exactly. The controls are fine, the section breaks up the repetitive talk-shoot pace (or should I say talk-[elevator]-shoot pace), but why in the hell have I got do drive around in the most obnoxiously hilly square kilometer of an otherwise enormous planet? Don't they have non-action heroes to do this kinda prospecting?
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Yes I would go for the Xbox 360 version it's the only game I've ever gotten all the achievements for. Even though Mass Effect 3 looks kinda stupid to me they seem to put a heavy emphasis on importing characters from previous games so if you plan on playing the 3rd go for it. What's the worse that will happen if you hate the game you know you'll punch the wall because you couldn't buy a pack of cigarettes instead.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I liked ME2 quite a bit, I thought it had a cool set up in which its like this "hey this game your going to recruit a bunch of bad ass negr0s to fight some alien dudes."

The bad stuff was that they completely eliminated any aspect of items or weapons. You don't have to worry about really anything weapon wise because they will automatically equip the best one and none of them have stats, you just assume what you have is the best weapon. I think the only real decision you have is what weapons you want to take like a rocket launcher or shot gun but your unlikely to change it much.

Mako missions were shit in ME1 and anyone who thinks they were good are freakin idiots. None of the missions were anything but "drive here kill some dudes", that's literally the amount of description they give.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Q : Why is the music actually good ? A : It's not Bioware !

Post by Blargh »

Like Dragon Age (especially 2) - both Mass Effects are testament to Bioware's increasingly lackadaisical approach to game design. They are quite aware that they can not only get away with things like banal, often outright recycled characterisation and narrative, puerile, stiflingly linear writing, pseudo-consequentialism ; blatant cut and paste world building and tedious gameplay elements, they are mostly lauded for it. While this phenomenon is hardly unique to Bioware, they are a prominent and egregious example of this design philosophy.

I could point you to a variety of illuminating topics and posts from their social network, contributed by both writers/developers and their disquieting sycophants - but that would be like seeking a selection of specific turds in a sewage treatment facility.

So . . . go ahead if you haven't any better prospects available. Might I suggest nailing your scrotum to the underside of a cable car instead ? :drunk:
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Mako missions were shit in ME1 and anyone who thinks they were good are freakin idiots. None of the missions were anything but "drive here kill some dudes", that's literally the amount of description they give.
I never said Mako missions were any good. But Mako exploring, now that was the highlight of the game. Physics breaking jumps off of the top of mountains clear across the map...that was what Mass Effect was really all about.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: Q : Why is the music actually good ? A : It's not Biowar

Post by Retlaw83 »

Blargh wrote:So . . . go ahead if you haven't any better prospects available. Might I suggest nailing your scrotum to the underside of a cable car instead ? :drunk:
That's what I used to do until my scrotum tore off.

It was no fault of the cable car. My sack was bitten off by a badger.
- the Vault Dweller
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

You are not funny.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Stalagmite wrote:You are not funny.
do you do this at social gatherings as well when someone tells a joke?

also, talk about a pot burning a cross on a front yard
Last edited by Gimp Mask on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Since Stalagmite's MO is making negative comments to get a reaction, demonstrating all the wit of a schoolyard bully, I'd be convinced he enjoyed the joke if not for the fact most Australians don't understand humor.

Plus I'd bet he's upset that the banter was part of an exchange with his arch-nemesis Blargh :drunk:
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Still trying to figure out what the hell a buh'en is.

Post by Tofu Man »

Blargh wrote:I could point you (...)
I think our friend with the Deus Ex "trailer" said it best. :drunk:

Also, on the subject of good OSTs, the indie bundle people are selling a bunch of indie game OSTs on the occasion of this negro weekend thingy you americans have. Dunno about the rest of them but the VVVVVV soundtrack alone is well worth the 1$ minimum.
Our Host!