Deus Ex

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Deus Ex

Post by King of Creation »

The original Deus Ex and expansion are on sale on Steam right now (only 15 hours or so left), so I bit the bullet and bought them. I, somehow, have managed to never play them before. I noticed that Pooper and SenisterDenister have the original game, so what's the best way to tackle this beast?
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

It's been a few years since I really played the original. I remember though that pistols is the way to go, pretty much play it like any fallout game. Get a weapon skill then do like lock picking/ hacking and your good to go.

They have mods that improve the graphics if that is something important to you but I wouldn't bother with it and just play and have fun. The first mission is notorious for turning poeple off the game but if you get passed it then you will most likely like it.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

In the screenshots on Steam, at least, the graphics look decent enough. A little better than Half Life 1.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

:gnasher:

Post by Blargh »

You lucky fucking bastard. :drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

YOU LUCKY FUCKING BASTARD

Post by Blargh »

With that out of the way, I will simply suggest that you do all you can to keep your first experience of it unsullied by external bias and/or foreknowledge. Might not be especially feasible to do so after 10 years and Internet - still, worth the effort.

And then, when you're done, hit up Shifter or Biomod. And The Nameless Mod. :drunk:
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

There's a couple good graphics mods worth doing - HDTP and one other.

I always went with rifles. Make sure you carry a versatile arsenal - lethal/non-lethal, silenced/noisy, melee/ranged. DX was always good at making you overcome different situations with different tactics. Game was a lot more straetgic tyhan it gets credit.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

already thxgiving drunk I see
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Poops said it best, really any weapon will do it all just depends if you want to be stealthy or shooty that particular playthrough, but always invest in hacking and things like that.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

As someone who has never played a single Deus Ex either for similar reasons, I would love to hear your feedback of an old old game cherry popped, KoC.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The Shifter mod is actually quite good. It doesn't dramatically change the game but enhances what's already there and adds stuff Ion Storm never got around to completing. Finally you gain experience from successfully sneaking instead of it all being based on missions and killing. Controls are improved with a working alt fire and throwing is much better.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Shifter is a pretty reasonable mod that tightens the game up.

Really enjoyed the Nameless Mod. More of a total game conversion, really long and tightly put together. The only downside is all the in-jokes. I don't know anything about that scene, so it does nothing for me.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Our Host!