The Legend of the Wandering Pair from Vault 101

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nave_Ninja »

Having looked at the majority of this forum and seeing its regulars and their opinion of Fallout 3, I considered simply not posting this. But hey, where's the fun in that?

-=-=-=-=-=-

Above is fanart of my story done by a friend on DeviantArt, if you couldn't tell by the, you know, watermark.

Proper introductions out of the way: Hi, I'm Nave. New here. Came here solely to promote my Fallout 3 story, though I occasionally stray into other threads and might leave a post or two elsewhere.

This is a Fan Fiction regarding a what-if scenario involving Amata joining the Lone Wanderer on his way out. Not too different from a lot of fanfiction, really, and I'll concede that the earlier chapters follow many conventions from the game itself, including dialogue lifted from the material.

I wrote the story based on my own recorded Fallout 3 gameplay, but now that I'm 19 chapters into the story and it's over 250,000 words in length and over a year in writing, I've grown away from using specifically stolen words (here and there. Some lines I enjoy from the game) as well as writing everything that I did in the gameplay footage, which I also don't use anymore.

So, what's different? Well, I could spend a lot of time explaining how I've tried to make my story unique from others like it and from Fallout 3's story itself, or I could simply encourage reading it by saying that if you enjoyed Fallout 3, you might like it. Or, if you didn't enjoy Fallout 3, a number of which there is a hefty amount, you might appreciate my attempts at a more coherent plot and bigger roles for side characters from the original source.

I'd ask that this thread doesn't dissolve into a topic regarding personal opinions of Fallout 3, as the majority of threads I've witnessed have a tendency to do. If you'd like to comment on the fanfiction itself, by all means, I welcome it. I'm just a guy who enjoys writing, so please, refrain from trolling. That in itself may in fact be more of an invitation to do so, depending on ones perception of the wording or the context in which it was said, but I assure you, it isn't.

As each chapter is long (my minimum is twenty pages in length) I'll simply post the link to the story on fanfiction.net:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5889623/1/T ... _Vault_101

If you've something to say about the story, great, I'm all ears. If not, well, then move along, citizen. Nothing to see here.

tl;dr: It's a Fallout 3 fanfiction. Make of that what you will.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Re: The Legend of the Wandering Pair from Vault 101

Post by Yonmanc »

Nave_Ninja wrote:Having looked at the majority of this forum and seeing its regulars and their opinion of Fallout 3, I considered simply not posting this. But hey, where's the fun in that?
Seems like a waste of time really, I doubt anybody would read it *shrugs*. Want some free golf clubs?
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Want a BJ? I heard Yonmanc uses all the muscles in his throat to stimulate the erect member into a fantastic orgasim. All rumors though.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Re: The Legend of the Wandering Pair from Vault 101

Post by Nave_Ninja »

Yonmanc wrote:
Nave_Ninja wrote:Having looked at the majority of this forum and seeing its regulars and their opinion of Fallout 3, I considered simply not posting this. But hey, where's the fun in that?
Seems like a waste of time really, I doubt anybody would read it *shrugs*. Want some free golf clubs?
Bolded: My original thoughts, more or less.

Unbolded: Care to explain the golf clubs joke? I saw it in other threads, suspected it had something to do with New Vegas. Wasn't certain.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

We have golf club bots.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nave_Ninja »

rad resistance wrote:We have golf club bots.
Noted.

Y'all seem to be a real fun bunch around here, I must say. Seems to be a place for real militant Fallout buffs, at first glace, anyway.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Ban.
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nave_Ninja »

SenisterDenister wrote:Ban.
That's hardly welcoming. I've barely stretched my feet.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Fallout 3 is such a bad game that I look down on people I meet who enjoy it - even in real life.

As a writer myself I normally encourage others to write, but I can't encourage this.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

I got it! Pair of three! Me, Irene and my horrible fanfic!

Post by Tofu Man »

The title is horrible. Pair of what? Balls? Tits? Socks? Bah. Besides, the only worse thing than a fanfic is a fanfic of a particularly atrocious original. Next time, try more respectable source material. Twilight, for instance.
Nancy wrote:That's hardly welcoming.

And he expected red carpet treatment, too. For someone who writes, you can't actually read all that well, can you?
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nave_Ninja »

Retlaw83 wrote:Fallout 3 is such a bad game that I look down on people I meet who enjoy it - even in real life.

As a writer myself I normally encourage others to write, but I can't encourage this.
Seen a lot of your posts, read much of your arguments, in many threads spread across numerous boards. One that stands out is that you like New Vegas, much more than you liked Fallout 3, a sentiment I agree with.

A lot of people around here concede that Fallout 3 has potential, but only in the hands of dedicated modders and hardcore fans who also mod it. While it may not make the game perfect, a lot of people consider the game much, much better with them as opposed to Fallout 3 vanilla. I play modded Fallout 3, because, yes, it's better than without.

I am no modder. Couldn't touch that stuff--not my specialty. But I'm a writer, and though others can't play what I write, in a way, it's my own attempt at making Fallout 3 better, if only through story, and not gameplay. Surely, as a writer, you can understand that king of feeling, the want to do better than the source material was.
Tofu Man wrote:And he expected red carpet treatment, too. For someone who writes, you can't actually read all that well, can you?
Not quite, my friend. I've read far too many posts on here to constitute that belief. I certainly didn't expect the red carpet--rather, the opposite, I was expecting posts more like yours and Retlaw's.
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Don't listen to the other guys, you're welcome here anytime! You're going to fit in just fine. So you're going to write a fanfiction for Fallout 3? Well, I cannot think of any better source material than that. But if you're trying to make Fallout 3 any better through writing, just stop, it's like trying to color-up Citizen Kane, you can't touch a masterpiece like that. Also, you should probably change the title, it's a bit awkward and if you have to change anything about Fallout 3, make sure that the father dies earlier, like in the vault?

But everything else aside keep on writing and don't spam too much.
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nave_Ninja »

Taco-Hero wrote:Don't listen to the other guys, you're welcome here anytime! You're going to fit in just fine. So you're going to write a fanfiction for Fallout 3? Well, I cannot think of any better source material than that. But if you're trying to make Fallout 3 any better through writing, just stop, it's like trying to color-up Citizen Kane, you can't touch a masterpiece like that. Also, you should probably change the title, it's a bit awkward and if you have to change anything about Fallout 3, make sure that the father dies earlier, like in the vault?

But everything else aside keep on writing and don't spam too much.
I'm too accustomed to that brand of sarcasm around here to fall for that, I'm afraid. Classy, though.

Layers upon layers in that post, truly.
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Seriously though feel free to post here, and good luck with the writing.
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nave_Ninja »

Taco-Hero wrote:Seriously though feel free to post here, and good luck with the writing.
I'd post elsewhere around here, but I doubt it'd matter. Simply by virtue of liking Fallout 3, enough to actually write about it and put the amount of effort into it that I have, is enough for the local population to automatically make judgments regarding my taste, intelligence and (in more cases than one, I'd venture) sexual orientation. So why post elsewhere when they can come here and say it to my face? At least then they're guaranteed a response.

Really though, having lurked sufficiently this day, I can say that this place reminds me a lot of an old forum I used to go on. A forum long since dead, mind you, but it had a very similar kind of community.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Nave_Ninja wrote:Seen a lot of your posts, read much of your arguments, in many threads spread across numerous boards.
Only place I use this nickname is here and once when I tried to bring my blistering douchebaggery to the Bethesda boards. I don't post on NMA because it's full of retards.
A lot of people around here concede that Fallout 3 has potential, but only in the hands of dedicated modders and hardcore fans who also mod it. While it may not make the game perfect, a lot of people consider the game much, much better with them as opposed to Fallout 3 vanilla. I play modded Fallout 3, because, yes, it's better than without.
Shit with addons is still shit.
But I'm a writer, and though others can't play what I write, in a way, it's my own attempt at making Fallout 3 better, if only through story, and not gameplay. Surely, as a writer, you can understand that king of feeling, the want to do better than the source material was.
I could understand creating new material within the framework of the old material, like I don't with my dabbling in a Fallout story, and like I did with some Warhammer 40k stuff I messed around with. Rewriting what is shit is an exercise in futility, and validates the source material in a way it doesn't deserve.

Instead of trying to fix the bad ideas of others, try your own ideas.
- the Vault Dweller
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Nave_Ninja wrote:(in more cases than one, I'd venture) sexual orientation
It's 2011 and you're looking at homosexuality as something to be mocked?
- the Vault Dweller
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nave_Ninja »

Your First Point: I meant on here, Retlaw. On here, I read your arguments. Not all of them, but enough to get the idea.

Your Second Point: Opinions, ones to be expected, yet yours are yours. I prefer honesty rather than what I'd usually get on other boards of this nature.

Your Third Point: I'd argue that the same could be said about many different brands of fanfiction. I'd cite Tofu Man's earlier example of Twilight, but that would be beating a dead horse. Also, a 40k fan? Very good.

As for validation, I'd prefer merely recognition, of it and its shortcomings, and a modest attempt to patch them up, with varying degrees of what some might consider success.
Retlaw83 wrote:
Nave_Ninja wrote:(in more cases than one, I'd venture) sexual orientation
It's 2011 and you're looking at homosexuality as something to be mocked?
I'm afraid I never got that memo, and evidently, neither did others.
rad resistance wrote:Want a BJ? I heard Yonmanc uses all the muscles in his throat to stimulate the erect member into a fantastic orgasim. All rumors though.
Retlaw83 wrote:Instead of trying to fix the bad ideas of others, try your own ideas.
Oh, I have. But they're terribly non-Fallout related, and serve no purpose on this board.

G'night, folks. I'll see you tomorrow if I feel like stopping by. Stay classy.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Do us a favor and don't stop by. You're only wasting your time here if you honestly think us of all people would read your banal fan-fiction. Seriously. Writing fan-fiction is a disease. Go see a doctor and if nothing else, just euthanize yourself and do the world a service.
Nave_Ninja
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Nave_Ninja »

SenisterDenister wrote:Do us a favor and don't stop by. You're only wasting your time here if you honestly think us of all people would read your banal fan-fiction. Seriously. Writing fan-fiction is a disease. Go see a doctor and if nothing else, just euthanize yourself and do the world a service.
Oh, come now, there's no fun in ignoring each other. I'm sure you and I could have such nice discussions, too.
SenisterDenister wrote:Do us a favor and don't stop by. You're only wasting your time here
But I am considering that. It's a fun place to look at, but not touch.
Our Host!