I hate modern day gaming.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Kashluk wrote:If MMOs were appliances they were probably something like butt-plugs - very enjoyable to some, no denying it, but then there's the rest of us who can't understand why anyone would voluntarily stick a piece of rubber up their ass. No matter what the latest upgrade in the scene is.
I think an mmo as a game concept has enormous potential. It's just that it's wasted on shitty wow-clones, rather than expanding on player-oriented games such as Ultima Online. An mmo isn't synonymous with grinding or levels or any of that shit; that's just lazy filler content, we have that in sp games as well (especially modern ones). It's about creating a game world that works for several players simultaneously, incorporating them into the fabric out of which it is made. We're talking unparalleled immersion here, the kind you couldn't get from any other type of game; a long term connection and attachment to characters and worlds that you couldn't get anywhere else.

Provided of course that it isn't shit, which it sadly is 99% of the time.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Kash I think that's a bad example.

EVERYONE enjoys butt-plugs.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Username wrote:Then again when you see people swallowing a mouthful of Downloadable Content in terms of not only maps but "items", "skins for items" and soon to be "skins for dicks" not to mention name changes, sex changes, world changes and so forth it's easy to see why making useless crap and fancy pancy stuff is better than the more costly level design that takes time and money to beta and alpha test.
This is one thing that gets beyond annoying. DA:O 2 had 27 0-day DLCs. Twenty-fucking-seven. And the brutality with which they are being pushed down your throat is unbeliavable. Company trolls everywhere. Say a bad word about one dlc in any of the major gaming websites and you'll have a bunch of fake fanboys at your throat in no time. And they're so obvious it's not even funny.
Last edited by Tofu Man on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

I'm curious if you have any hard evidence that companies hire people to visit larger forums not only to say a good word but to argue. I've seen indications but I thought it was just my old paranoid brain seeing stuff.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Tofu Man wrote:This is one the things that gets beyond annoying. DA:O 2 had 27 0-day DLCs. Twenty-fucking-seven.
Jesus Christ. The original had 3, two of which you got free download codes for if you bought the game, and the third you got a free download code for if you bought the special edition.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Username wrote:I'm curious if you have any hard evidence that companies hire people to visit larger forums not only to say a good word but to argue. I've seen indications but I thought it was just my old paranoid brain seeing stuff.
Nah man, I don't have any hard evidence. This is the net. Even if I could be bothered, how "hard" would the evidence even be? And how easy would it be to dismiss on, say, the basis that the accused account was hacked or some shit?

Things you think up, no matter how underhanded or sleazy they sound, if they make bussiness sense odds are there's some company already doing it. At least that's my motto.
A handful of guys paid to patrol boards 24/7 and skew "public opinion" and do some damage control makes bussiness sense to me.
All I can do is tell you to add another "paranoid brain" to the count. Or share some links if you're that interested.
Retlaw83 wrote:Jesus Christ. The original had 3, two of which you got free download codes for if you bought the game, and the third you got a free download code for if you bought the special edition.
Here they are. Now you "gotta collect 'em all" even before you actually start playing the damn thing.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Tofu Man wrote:Things you think up, no matter how underhanded or sleazy they sound, if they make bussiness sense odds are there's some company already doing it. At least that's my motto.
And you're damn right about it.

The insurance company I used to work for had some pretty sleazy business ethics and actually ran into some trouble with the unions and authorities. I tried to link those news to the wikipedia page of that said company, because IMHO wikipedia should be more than just a free advertisement spot if there's something solid for peoplel to know about. Well, well, only a day and a half after my edit, all the changes were reverted with no reason. I changed them again. They were reverted back. Then I changed them for the third time, after that I started getting messages through Facebook, where this 'concerned fellow' tried to talk me into stop changing the page, spewing company propaganda non-stop.

He must've been A) a complete looney or B) he was on the company payroll either to make sure people would not write bad stuff about his employer or he was just so deeply institutionalized that he felt it to be his duty to protect his employer.

Also, on a lot of bulleting boards / forums where people discuss the said company as an employer (usually comes down to breaking the law with certain things, abusing workers' rights etc.) some really fake-sounding people suddenly pop-up to call the company 'THE BEST THING EVAH' and diss all other posters for being 'bitter' and 'bad workers'. Those are just so obviously company employees typing that stuff during their working hours.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Wow, how did they find out it was you who was editing? Have you got a wiki account somehow tied in to your Facebook?

Seems a bit dangerous and stupid if you're gonna rant out prior employers.

Btw Bioware has the Canadian flag as a symbol for the "english" language selection...
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Username wrote:Btw Bioware has the Canadian flag as a symbol for the "english" language selection...
So?
- the Vault Dweller
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

They speak French in Canada :herve:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

One shitty province Susan has the misfortune of living in speaks French, the rest of the country speaks English.
- the Vault Dweller
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Username wrote:I'm curious if you have any hard evidence that companies hire people to visit larger forums not only to say a good word but to argue. I've seen indications but I thought it was just my old paranoid brain seeing stuff.
It's called OGM - Online Guerilla Marketing, google it. They don't just hang out in forums, they hang out in Starbucks and shit too, or so they showed on 60 minutes (I guess that would be considered Offline GM).

Here's a good article in the Escapist:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... 63-Im-Evil
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Retlaw83 wrote:One shitty province Susan has the misfortune of living in speaks French, the rest of the country speaks English.
No, my friend, I'm afraid you're completely mistaken here. All of the Canadian people are under the frightening gaze of DER EIFFEL TÖWER. The French invasion force oppresses the civilian population by forcing children to eat baguette and men drink wine. :chew: It's because of un-patriots like you that they speak French from Urals to the Rockies!
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Quebecois are more French than the French are now.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Kashluk wrote: It's because of un-patriots like you that they speak French from Urals to the Rockies!
oshit son

i best vest up and grab my gat and teach them canucks how to be speakin proper english yo
- the Vault Dweller
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

commonplace. i hate to bring george monbiot into anything but here you go http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/g ... troturfing
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Wow many thanks. So the word is "astrosurf".

I knew about them editing wikipedia articles and even thumbing up their products on various review sites and had seen some evidence for that. But this Guardian article is almost absurd.

I guess not only we users have something to fear from the internet become de-anonymized.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:It's called OGM - Online Guerilla Marketing
What the hell, man? I always thought that stood for Original Gangsta Makeover.

Oh, I'm soooo pushing this. Hollywood, here I come!
BaloneyPwny
SDF!
SDF!

Post by BaloneyPwny »

I've seen a few blatant examples of this. For example, Treyarch's(the guys who made the last Call of Doody game) message boards.

The moment a thread expressing dissent about the game's poor online performance hits, they swarm like flies. It's the only time it happens as well. They clutter, they obfuscate, and make subtle inflammatory comments in an attempt to get the thread creator banned by the moderators.

I never bothered expressing my disgust over Fallout 3 on Bethesda's forums, but I'm sure they've done this too.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

From experience, they just remove the threads and ban the user as a direct response. Not that it matters, seeing as they actually have masses of braindead fans who'll defend bad design free of charge, though I think some are unstable enough to hurt themselves when directly exposed to intelligent discussion. That's one possible reason for the insta-kick routine.

For forums outside of their jurisdiction though? Lets just say they got their money's worth of Original Gangsta Makeovers.
Our Host!