40s America

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Pretty smart move to take out most of the US naval force in one strike. Pretty chicken shit to attack without warning like that as well but hey, thats war.

You rifhtfully so complain about how Japan rewrote themselves as victims in their history books instead of villains, thats just patriotism and your country would never write themselves off as the bad guys even when they have been, so why should Japan?
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

There's a difference between saying, "This military campaign led to defeat for our country for XYZ reasons," and saying, "We lost a war because all those other guys were mean to us!"
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Well sure, but that's not the point. Patriotism is and regardless of the excuse, no country would admit to being bad, they still have morals.

I doubt even Germany does it, they will admit they got defeated and acted badly but they will plead ignorance and blame it all on Hitler, as if they had no idea what was going on. Even in a dictatorship are people that blind that they can't see what their country is doing?
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

In the case of Germany, most knew Jews were being rounded up; of those, quite a few knew that they were being taken to detainment camps. But virtually no one outside the military units responsible for the camps, and those higher up that gave the orders, really realized Jews were being exterminated at those camps.
- the Vault Dweller
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

FUCKIN LOL

Post by Blargh »

hey guys i really doubt the average japanese citizen was informed of top secret military orders you know while they were working at the p o w cannery or whatev

:drunk:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The difference I'm trying to point out is Germany doesn't paint itself as victim of the war; it simply points out it had bad leadership and a failing society to cause what happened.

Japan, on the other hand, refuses to admit that any part of what their society did was wrong for any reason.
- the Vault Dweller
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

No society is a monolith³. QEDM. :drunk:

³AWAITING ENDOLITHESQUE ALIEN MENACE TO STEAL MICKEY
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

MR Snake wrote:Well sure, but that's not the point. Patriotism is and regardless of the excuse, no country would admit to being bad, they still have morals.

I doubt even Germany does it, they will admit they got defeated and acted badly but they will plead ignorance and blame it all on Hitler, as if they had no idea what was going on. Even in a dictatorship are people that blind that they can't see what their country is doing?
See "Operation Valkyrie"
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Gotta agree with Mr Snake here. It's not just that victors re-write history, but in each nation's own context the history is re-written as well.

Finns are never described as bad guys during WWII in our history books, even though at times we were allied with Hitler and also started an offensive. Then again, none of the Russian people I know have ever been taught by their educational system that they were the bad guys for attacking Finland. The winter war is somehow made our fault (you know, for not surrendering to the soviet rule voluntarily).

Same goes for US and pretty much any and every country in the world. Germany is really just an exception. Their self-loathing is quite rare.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Not depicted : all the others that died horribly ?

Post by Blargh »

THE WOMAN IS A PROXY FOR GERMANY :tinfoil:

:drunk:
Our Host!