DML's 437th Rant

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

DML's 437th Rant

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Ok so first thing's first- I know there are a few people on here who are in the education industry and I was wondering if any of you share my feeling that having a point of view contradictory to the politically correct one and sharing that view with your students is entirely too frowned upon in our line of work. Just wondering what y'all think.

Secondly, Wasteland Radio is fucked. I can't get any friends who have the fucking brains to act with me on the show. The ones I can get are fucktards. So I will do the show I think on a more regular basis, but I will do it as myself and I will host it with people whose company I enjoy.

Thirdly, I am studying to be a teacher but what draws my attention? Social work, broadcasting, journalism, political activism, illustration, animation, writing.... just basically anything but the path I've chosen!

I listen to Floyd for christ's sake and I will be molding and shaping these little punks into an image i have disdain for, a fucking American. I won't do it. I won't resign myself to a life of teaching. I can't do it. There is too much to fucking do in this world!! :crazy:
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: DML's 437th Rant

Post by Retlaw83 »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Ok so first thing's first- I know there are a few people on here who are in the education industry and I was wondering if any of you share my feeling that having a point of view contradictory to the politically correct one and sharing that view with your students is entirely too frowned upon in our line of work. Just wondering what y'all think.
As a teacher, giving students your viewpoint and only your viewpoint is wrong - especially if you're trying to instill in them that it's the "right" way of thinking.

Your responsibility, however, is to make them know your viewpoint exists - as objectively as possible - and present to them the countering viewpoint, also objectively as possible. People don't get educated unless they can make up their own minds.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

We can talk about many of these things when/if I come out to NY. Though Ret is right; objectivity is the name of the game when it comes to being a good teacher.

If you feel no [current] passion for teaching and want to work towards a cause doing something you enjoy, you could always be a political cartoonist for the time being.

Or, you could take social issues you want to raise awareness of and write short stories [or large ones] that parody/emulate these phenomena. Last I checked, that's what the X-men comic was constantly attempting to do (other than kill off half the cast and revive them soon after, repeating around once a season).

Either way, don't get frustrated and loose your composure and perception of your end goal. Know what it is you want and plan to achieve it accordingly.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Last edited by ExtremeDrinker on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Practiced satan worship in class what? Does that have to do with the evolution/creationism thing?
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

come on Ryno grow some balls and tell your student some politics etc - many of them might find you the vital point of reference outside their families.

"help me Ryno Extreme-Dryno, you're our only hope!" ;)
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Nah, he's right. Its always best to remain impartial as a teacher but at the same time show them the different sides to every debate and/or argument.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

I wish my teachers told me what they beleived.. so i can redicule it or like it.. We ahve brains of our own too ya know?
EDIT: at least my brain thinks its me.. or shalli say.. i think i am my brain...
EDIT:EDIT:Maybe my brain is thinking of a brain that is thinking of the world in which the first brain was from.. but now its dead...inside a ...remote controlled shark
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Retlaw83 wrote:Your responsibility, however, is to make them know your viewpoint exists - as objectively as possible - and present to them the countering viewpoint, also objectively as possible. People don't get educated unless they can make up their own minds.
q.f.e.

Go with that, Dogmeat.

In retrospective it's easy to see that my favorite teachers have been just like that, and the ones I've hated the most have usually been the ones pushing their own ideas to their students.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

doggy, dont pidgeon hole the american identity

you can still teach the ideal (and in many cases the reality) of pluralism

thats what its all about, dawg
Our Host!