POLITICKAL!

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Yeah and WTF is up with WKU's mascot, I don't know what it is, but I bet you one of those furry fuckers would get off on violating it.

He's just asking for it.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

TwinkieGorilla wrote:eh. you've never formally studied literature, have you?
Are you talking about literary criticism or dissecting specific work? If so I've done both as part of my English degree.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

Retlaw83 wrote:Are you talking about literary criticism or dissecting specific work? If so I've done both as part of my English degree.
both, but more specifically the latter. and if you've done so...then you know better and should stfu and leave it be.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

So you two get your unemployment checks every week or every other week?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

But back on topic:

After researching a bit of Obama's healthcare plan it does sound weird. I don't see how nationalising insurance companies makes that free healthcare. Or is he not going for free healthcare? Wouldn't it just make more sense to expand medicare and medicaid to people of all ages for those who can't afford the insurance. Thats how the NHS works in Britain. It's free for everyone (and nowhere near as bad as some US news sources seem to think, in fact, it's pretty good), but there are longer waiting hours and it doesn't cover EVERYTHING. And then there's private helathcare (namely BUPA) if you want the better stuff, which some people have. Sometimes, if treatment is seen as urgent, but the NHS have no hospital spaces, and it's for something they cover, they'll shell out and pay for private healthcare for you, which my mother made use of when she needed an operation on her knee.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:So you two get your unemployment checks every week or every other week?
ha. i work at UNC's Wilson Library...in the annex. i tell college kids what to do while i sit and surf the web listening to doom metal...loud...all day. my plan is to go to Library Sciences for grad school so i can get paid 2-3 times as much as i do now for doing basically the same thing. :giggle:
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

What can you possibly learn in a grad program for Library Sciences?
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

King of Creation wrote:What can you possibly learn in a grad program for Library Sciences?
learn? did you not read my post? this isn't about learning. it's about getting a degree and being able to make 50,000+ at university libraries across the U.S.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Yonmanc wrote:After researching a bit of Obama's healthcare plan it does sound weird. I don't see how nationalising insurance companies makes that free healthcare.
It isn't free - there was never anything in this bill about free healthcare. Also, insurance providers aren't being nationalized - insurance companies can only compete in certain markets. I have a friend who's an executive in a large insurance firm in Pittsburgh; they can't sell insurance to anyone across the Ohio border, which is a half an hour away.

Insurance companies would love to go national, because everyone wins. You'll have national competition driving coverage prices down, while the insurance companies will rake in the dough by having so many potential clients.
Wouldn't it just make more sense to expand medicare and medicaid to people of all ages for those who can't afford the insurance.
It would make perfect sense. However, every politician is in the pocket of some special interest. In Obama's case, he's in the pocket of organized labor and the bill as is helps a lot of unions get richer.
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

King of Creation wrote:What can you possibly learn in a grad program for Library Sciences?
Not to take Gorilla's side or anything, but Librarians can earn quite abit. The prison librarian at my facility earns like 60k a year.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

TwinkieGorilla wrote:
learn? did you not read my post? this isn't about learning. it's about getting a degree and being able to make 50,000+ at university libraries across the U.S.
Well obviously. But a graduate program implies that you're meant to learn something new, and you'll have to demonstrate it in order to get the degree.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Wow. No one has mentioned the lawyers yet? Malpractice suits are far too common in this country and that's what helps raise the prices on everything. Most Dr.s that have a private practice in this country pay nearly 50% of their income to malpractice insurance. It's even higher for hospitals who cover all their Dr.s. This "healthcare" bill is a sham. It's like airport security. It's a half assed (mostly useless) measure to give the appearance that something is being done. The government does NOT have the right to tell me I HAVE to buy anything. Every other "mandated payment" (vehicle registration, auto insurance ect) can be avoided by not doing certain activities (like driving) but this bill requires you to have some level of coverage.

The bill was passed in an unconstitutional way. No bill was ever passed using reconciliation before and when the Republicans tried to use it to stop filibustering over JUDICIAL NOMINATIONS the Democrats were decrying it as the "end of American democracy". Judicial nominations are important but they're somewhat less far reaching than this bill which is SO far reaching it needs to be an amendment. Not a simple law.

Gorilla, you haven't said anything to support your arguments other than "fuck you". In fact, you really haven't said anything other than "fuck you". That is not the work of an educated man. I understand your anger. There's not a lot that can be done with an English major. So until you can bring something to the table other than "Fuck You", FUCK YOU!
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

King of Creation wrote: Well obviously. But a graduate program implies that you're meant to learn something new, and you'll have to demonstrate it in order to get the degree.
why are you so worried about me? i have a handful of friends, mostly people like me who got their BA in English, who are either in the Library Science program or have graduated from it and landed excellent jobs.

i already have an excellent job within UNC's library system and will be going to the #1 rated Library Science program in the U.S. (right here at UNC). the chances of my success at landing an even better and higher-paying job with these credentials are high.

don't worry, KoC. i'll be quite alright.
Last edited by TwinkieGorilla on Fri May 14, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

Machiavelli wrote: Gorilla, you haven't said anything to support your arguments other than "fuck you". In fact, you really haven't said anything other than "fuck you". That is not the work of an educated man. I understand your anger. There's not a lot that can be done with an English major. So until you can bring something to the table other than "Fuck You", FUCK YOU!
no, fuck you. read my above post, having a BA in English is not my end-game. my job is already incredible. i will end up with an even better job in a few years. where is my anger? i don't feel i need to support arguments on an internet forum...much less one dedicated to a video game. were we having a debate which, for whatever reason, held any weight at all...i'm sure you'd find yourself very pleased indeed. and as for saying "fuck you" i'm quite fond of it. especially when drunk and confronted with political retards.

EDIT: strange phenomenon. at NMA it was "Twinkie" or "Twinks" but here i'm getting the suffix "Gorilla" for the first time. interesting. what does it all mean?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

TwinkieGorilla wrote:and as for saying "fuck you" i'm quite fond of it. especially when drunk and confronted with political retards.
Then you should scream it into a mirror instead of someone pointing out facts.
- the Vault Dweller
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

Retlaw83 wrote: Then you should scream it into a mirror instead of someone pointing out facts.
were i actually, in all seriousness, emotionally involved in this discussion...and cared? i might. i might just scream "fuck you" in the mirror after enough bourbon anyway. :drunk:
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

If you don't care about this topic, or view it as just being on a gaming forum then don't participate. I get drunk. A lot. But I don't get on internet forums and try to be the guy screaming FUCK the loudest. You say you're educated. Show it. Stop sounding like a 13 year old kid who thinks loudest is strongest and start posting like the educated well read individual you claim to be. Otherwise stay out of the serious discussions that do occasionally happen at DAC.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
TwinkieGorilla
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by TwinkieGorilla »

Machiavelli wrote:If you don't care about this topic, or view it as just being on a gaming forum then don't participate. I get drunk. A lot. But I don't get on internet forums and try to be the guy screaming FUCK the loudest. You say you're educated. Show it. Stop sounding like a 13 year old kid who thinks loudest is strongest and start posting like the educated well read individual you claim to be. Otherwise stay out of the serious discussions that do occasionally happen at DAC.
why? what is the point of that? i'll save the serious stuff for my IRL and the drunken rambling for the internet, thank you. try to take things a little less seriously yourself...and remember, there's a time and place for everything. try a little harder to distinguish the difference.

i enjoy doing what i do, the way i do it. if you don't, i'm very sorry (no, not really). i get my entertainment the way i like it, most of the time. :eyebrow:
TheCynic
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by TheCynic »

serious discussions that do occasionally happen at DAC
I've always thought of DAC as where the most intelligent people in the world go to kick off their shoes and become total fucking tards. Nothing serious allowed.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

TwinkieGorilla wrote:
King of Creation wrote: Well obviously. But a graduate program implies that you're meant to learn something new, and you'll have to demonstrate it in order to get the degree.
why are you so worried about me? i have a handful of friends, mostly people like me who got their BA in English, who are either in the Library Science program or have graduated from it and landed excellent jobs.

i already have an excellent job within UNC's library system and will be going to the #1 rated Library Science program in the U.S. (right here at UNC). the chances of my success at landing an even better and higher-paying job with these credentials are high.

don't worry, KoC. i'll be quite alright.
You're misreading my intentions. I'm not questioning the validity of the end results. I'm just actually legitimately curious as to what kinds of things you learn in a graduate program for library sciences.
Our Host!