Unlimited Graphics power~!

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Unlimited Graphics power~!

Post by Kickstand27 »

From Popsci

(snip)Bruce Dell doesn’t have a college degree or work for a major video game producer, but he might just change video game animation forever. The Australian hobbyist claims his new technology, Unlimited Detail, can turn out computer-generated graphics sans graphics chips or massive processing power. Rather, he claims his system offers unlimited graphics power that is software- rather than hardware-based, meaning there is no end to the amount of detail one can render.

Dell explains how all this works in fairly rich detail in the video below, but to summarize, Unlimited Detail sheds the usual polygon construction of virtual worlds in favor of a kind of point-cloud construction. Imagine the 3-D equivalent of pixels (like “little 3-D atoms� as Dell says), making up the entire virtual world from little points of color, much as the real world is constructed of tiny building blocks.

Related Articles
Forget the CPU. Buy a Better Graphics Card
Graphics Cards Go to Work
Is PC Gaming Dead?

Tags
Technology, Clay Dillow, computer graphics, digital graphics, gaming, graphics program, unlimited detail, VIDEO GAMESThis kind of construction isn’t completely new, but it is limited by the fact that each point requires a little bit of processing power. Rendering huge 3-D worlds like the ones in modern video games would require trillions of points, and rendering that many points per frame is impossible by modern computing standards; the real time demands of games make the idea completely unfeasible.

Dell’s software, he claims, gets away with this by acting as a search engine rather than a graphics engine. Build a world out of points, and Unlimited Detail’s software searches, in real time, for only the points in the cloud needed to render a view from a certain perspective. Detailed algorithms search through point-cloud data to find the right “atoms� to build only the scene you need at that moment, which equates roughly to one point for every pixel on the screen. Suddenly, you don’t need to process billions or trillions of points anymore; the underlying points go unprocessed and only the visible ones are rendered.

At least, so says Bruce Dell. Very few people have seen the software in action (he's still collecting his IP protections), and according to Wired companies like Nvidia are skeptical that his concept will work. You can hear it from Dell below and decide for yourself, but if he can deliver on what he promises in this video, gaming will never be the same.

so... anyone hear about this? anyting coming out using this tech? seems promising, but practical?
typos are bound to happen. fuck it
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

this is so old
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

And boring.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Sounds like vaporware.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

*kicks at dirt*

well are any games actually gonna use it, if it is so old?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

duke nukem 1 maybe :lol:
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

i guess ive been had.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

Thanks for this post, its interesting. It makes perfect sense too, better than randering an entire world at one time, instead it renders whats on the perspective... cool cool... not old?
i mean the video had crysis in it!! lolz
I thought the shapes of things look realistic.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

Whatever. "polygon" methods only render what you see as well. The interesting part is that the underlying algorithms may actually be different.

I

HAVE

THE POWAH!
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

This looks interesting. Let's wait and see.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Are You Familiar with the power of seti@home ~ ? think about it dude heh
:chew:
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

A million monkeys on a million typewriters.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

look up cloud computing and get back to me on that i want that report on my desk by monday or you dont get the scholarship by the way have a nice weekend with your mysterious new alien friend hopefully you can learn something about yourself and get the gay scholarship you dog dirt.

i didnt even read the first pot but i bet its a fake scam and probably something to do with Glee club or smythng ffs
:chew:
Our Host!