Aliens v. Predator

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

St. Toxic wrote:
Manoil wrote:While I recognize some problems with it, I'd disagree.
Bless you, Danny, but you're too cuddly for me to take your opinion seriously. :hug:
Pfft... mmmokay
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'm a huge fan of both the Alien and Predator franchises. Love the concept of AvP, read all the comics, novels, played all the games. The first AvP PC game by Rebellion is one of my favorite games of all time. The new one is total shit. Not just in comparison to previous games because there it fails miserably, but in comparison to all games ever made.

Reasons die hard Alien/Predator fanboys hate AvP3:
-It's slow as fuck. The alien and predator move like your trodding through muck
-Multiplayer completely ignores Alien players. No vents or anything like the previous games
-The Marine can kill an Alien easily just by swinging their gun around like an autistic child. Not shooting, just swing it around and you win.
-Almost every multiplayer map is identical and there's so few of them
-Singleplayer is extremely short and packed with reused maps and backtracking
-Predator has so few weapons and just plain stupid design decisions like the only way to get energy for weapons is by punching into weird computer terminals. combistick is only for throwing, 2 vision modes (thermal for seeing marines and preds which is idiotic because both species look so similar at a distance, and the alien vision mode which makes aliens green)
-retarded mortal kombat style fatalities you cannot quit out of
-Most of the graphics and sound design was taken from the SHIT AvP movies.

Reasons everybody else ates AvP3:
-It's shit
-No really, it sucks shit
-Shitty console port with shit broken "matchmaking" that makes you wait 10 minutes to join a game then the host rage quits after getting killed once, immediately ending the whole game and booting you to the main menu
-Dedicated servers only JUST came out in beta form after they promised for almost a year before the game's release it would fucking have them. And they are shit.
-No server customization at all. Even the basic stuff like the number of Aliens, Preds, and Marines. Want to do Aliens vs. Marines in a species deathmatch? Nope, the game FORCES all three species to be balanced no matter what.
-So few weapons across the board and most of them are useless. The marine's flamethrower literally does no damage whatsoever. You'd think it was a bug, but after 3 patches Rebellion hasn't acknowledged it so I guess that's what they want. Weapons that do nothing.
-Unfun, linear, predictable, short, and retarded singleplayer. You're better off watching the video walkthroughs on youtube, because everybody will have an identical experience with these three shitty short SHIT campaigns.
-No moddability at all, killing any chance of a sustainable community
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Goddammit...I was so looking forward to picking this game up, but now I'm not going to even bother. Time to reinstall the old AvP games to get my fix.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Yeah, I was keen on it too. But multiplayer was kind of fun and not fun at the same time, and little things frustrated me (like the match making bullshit). Then I noticed alot of reviews pinging it as average.

welp. I'll treat it like Bioshock 2. Might grab it when it's $20
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I was kind of skeptical of 3 ever since the original developer Rebellion was doing it. If you just look at their wikipedia list of games you will understand why, might come out with a good game once in awhile but then there are tons of shit games too.

"-So few weapons across the board and most of them are useless. The marine's flamethrower literally does no damage whatsoever. You'd think it was a bug, but after 3 patches Rebellion hasn't acknowledged it so I guess that's what they want. Weapons that do nothing. "

I find this pretty funny and typical for some reason.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Yeah. While I'd disagree with a couple of your points, MM, I'd say you're fairly accurate. I'm having trouble playing it any more, though I won't ever trade it in because the content is still AVP. Shit. It's fun in small doses, I s'pose. I'm just eager to port the models, animations, and sounds to another engine-- either Fallout 3 or Garry's Mod-- and see where things go from there.

EDIT: Foothold seems to already be in place
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=90628
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVbZhszMW9E
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=901328&page=3
http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=891783
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

any mods yet to fix some of the issues MMRW listed?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Not a very moddable game, I'm afraid
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Sick Harris on it.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I've actually been buzzing around the community, lurking for any sign of progress. They say it's a pretty-closed off engine, or at least something similar. Like I said, they're able to rip the models and port them to other games, but outside of that, it's near-hopeless.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

On the plus side, the original AvP seems to be getting a lot more attention lately. There's always a bunch of servers and it's more fun overall. The graphics aged terribly but I'm doing something about that. http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus ... ssic-redux

I successfully recreated the AvP3 predator model and made a whole new detailed marine, among many other things.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I'm keeping an eye on that, Max. Good job man. I bought it for 1.99 when it was on sale last week since my old Gold Edition quit working (the CD's are heavily damaged through both neglegence and time). I've yet to start a campaign, but did they really replace the FMV videos?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

They used the annoying British videos created by the Rebellion dev team for AvP Gold. In the moddb link above I made the originals available for download.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

I love this mod cus your allways adding pics and stuff just to show its not dead :D
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Our Host!