Why all the Fallout 3 hate?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Just announced, hot off the presses:

Metal Gear Solid: Pro Streets.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
NinjaJesus
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Why all the Fallout 3 hate?

Post by NinjaJesus »

Yonmanc wrote: Would you play a Tomb Raider RTS? Or Metal Gear Solid Racing game?
Yes
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

This thought occurred to me. So I'll slap it here because I typed it up for another post then decided it didn't really fit.

One of the major changes in design philosophy between the original Fallouts and Fallout 3 is one of the things that make the voices so repetitive - everyone you meet who isn't a hostile NPC has a name. Instead of bland, personality-less "Rivet City Resident" you meet bland, personality-less people with names. It comes down to presentation. If you name a character, people expect it to be a character. If you have the non-descript name of "Rivet City Resident," no one is going to bitch when all the male and female Rivet City Residents spew the same dialog presented by two voice actors.

I had no complaint when all the BoS scribes and initiates and shit had the same voices, because their names made them non-descript. However, "steel be with you" made me want to kill all those motherfuckers, so I'd like to thank Bethesda's Second World Hellhole Division (the developers of Broken Steel who did a better job than the American devs who made the actual game) for giving me the option to nuke the Citadel.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Very true, on both accounts.

Nonetheless, it's just one of many unaccounted problems Beth didn't bother to correct
br0ddyy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by br0ddyy »

I like all the fallout games. fallout 3 is different from the first 2, but a game like the first 2 just wouldn't hold up to todays standards. and nobody can deny that fallout 3 is an amazing game.
-The more realistic the game, the more i like it.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

It's easily deniable that Fallout 3 is amazing. Games like Left 4 Dead and Grand Theft Auto 4 both had more compelling characters, well-delivered stories and amazing physics.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

br0ddyy wrote:I like all the fallout games. fallout 3 is different from the first 2, but a game like the first 2 just wouldn't hold up to todays standards. and nobody can deny that fallout 3 is an amazing game.
Fallout 3 sucks and your mother turns tricks.
NinjaJesus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by NinjaJesus »

Left 4 Dead didn't have much physics, and GTA 4 appears to me as a pile of wat.
Touching a car that is moving at turtle speed sometimes knocks me down.
Though, as much as I love Fallout 3, I have to say... It's a pain in the ass walking on skeleton piles... Never know when it's going to glitch out and kick your head off...
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Get out of here /b/tard.
NinjaJesus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by NinjaJesus »

no
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Second on Retlaw83's points (yet again). And NJ, the source engine (L4D) is all about physics. There are virtually NO predeterminate animations-- clipping is uncommon in most areas and death animations are virtually never leaving people halfway inside walls. Valve has great pride in their work.

GTA4's physics felt so incredibly realistic that it felt limiting in many cases. I would argue that Saints Row 2's more unrealistic gravity/physics was one of the things that made it a bit more crazy/enjoyable.

Of course, you're probably right, especially with VATS-headshots causing muties to backflip. And static objects randomly falling when one is picked up. And cars exploding like fatboy shells.

Fantastic.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

br0ddyy wrote:nobody can deny that fallout 3 is an amazing game.
You're new to the internet, I take it? Longtime Fallout fans are pretty infamous for calling Fallout 3 what it is - rubbish.
ntMurkster
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ntMurkster »

Vanburen is what Fallout 3 should've been, not gay Oblivion with guns. I (like a fool) bought FO3 the day it came into stores n had the main quest beat in 3 fuckin hours! I felt like honestly taking it back.
saxonblue
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout 3...

Post by saxonblue »

Y'know, I'm was a really big fan of Fallout 1 and 2. And I was very excited about the release of Fallout 3. I was really looking forward to it. And all the game review sites gave it glowing reviews. I even replaced my old dinosaur of a laptop so I could run Fallout 3...

...and I was genuinely, horribly surprised by how bad it was. I mean, yeah, the franchise needed some upgrading for newer players, but it's not even the same type of game, ffs. It's a fps with barely any controllable rp elements. It really is incredibly tedious. Perhaps if I was the kind of person who gained enjoyment from hours of playing Doom, I'd like Fallout 3, but I wanted a game with some moderately sophisticated rp in it.

Is this the way computer games are going? Is genuine rp dead? Why do publishers of fps games like WoW, Oblivion and (now) Fallout try to claim that their games are rp games, just coz they've got a questing system in them?

(cries)
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Fallout 3...

Post by Wolfman Walt »

saxonblue wrote:Perhaps if I was the kind of person who gained enjoyment from hours of playing Doom, I'd like Fallout 3
Trust me. It doesn't help.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Fallout 3...

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
saxonblue wrote:Perhaps if I was the kind of person who gained enjoyment from hours of playing Doom, I'd like Fallout 3
Trust me. It doesn't help.
Unlike Fallout 3, Doom still has some of the best level design ever created.
Pawns4Mons
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Pawns4Mons »

Compare fallout 3 to 1 or 2... It lacks ALOT.

I think Fo3 is a great game and one of the only games worth playing on a console. It does alot of things right.

But the game needs to be more like the original. Bethesda shouldn't be making these new fallout editions. I'm glad obsidian is working on NV but still..

It's like the really hot girl in a family then when you see her sisters you are like, why did I think she was hot? :s
WalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhalaWalhala
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Pawns4Mons wrote:Compare fallout 3 to 1 or 2... It lacks ALOT.

I think Fo3 is a great game and one of the only games worth playing on a console. It does alot of things right.

But the game needs to be more like the original. Bethesda shouldn't be making these new fallout editions. I'm glad obsidian is working on NV but still..

It's like the really hot girl in a family then when you see her sisters you are like, why did I think she was hot? :s
What are you talking about? There's quite a few games on the console worth paying:

GTA Series
Crackdown
Shadow Complex
Mario series
Batman Arkham Asylum

Just to name a few. Fallout 3 was terrible on console.
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

So what games have you played recently? and What is your dogs name?
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

The only Game for Windows Live that I play is Dawn of War 2, and since SenisterDenister is too long my name is TurdRifle if you've got that game.
Our Host!