OXM Fallout New Vegas scans and information

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

OXM Fallout New Vegas scans and information

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - News related to <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/archives.php ... ry=84">Top Story: OXM Fallout: New Vegas Details</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Obsidian Entertainment">Company: Obsidian Entertainment</a> | More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout: New Vegas">Game: Fallout: New Vegas</a>

<p>The latest OXM has hit the stands and, just like PSM3 and PCGamer, they have an "exclusive" "world premier" of <em><strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong></em>. Here are the details (scans after the jump):</p>
<ul>
<li>The Brotherhood of Steel is back, but the core story revolves around the NCR and Caesar's Legion.</li>
<li>SPECIAL now has descriptions - eg CHA 10 = Cult Leader, EN 1 = Basically Dead.</li>
<li>Those descriptions for Strength: 10 - Hercules' Bigger Cousin 9 - Doomsday Pecs 8 - Circus Strongman 7 - Beach Bully 6 - Barrel Chested 5 - Average Joe 4 - Lightweight 3 - Doughy Baby 2 - Beached Jellyfish 1 - Wet Noodle </li>
<li>You get a Vault 21 jumpsuit from the doc who revives you, along with a pistol and a Pip Boy 3000.</li>
<li>Weapons can be modified, but modifications only have positive results. The magazine implies you won't need to make a choice between different mods, because they won't be mutually exclusive.</li>
<li>And a little later the magazine contradicts itself by writing that adding a larger magazine increases reload times.</li>
<li>Every weapon has a special attack, not just the golf club. It seems that Fore! does not mean groin shots are back for every weapon. </li>
<li>Guns have different knockback amounts, pistols don't do much, shotguns blast people away.</li>
<li>There's a town-specific reputation, and Obsidian has 'hinted' that the reputation will impact endings. </li>
<li>Karma has been overhauled, tracking the factions and ideologies that you agree with. </li>
<li>Nightkin are back, as blue-skinned Super Mutants who've gone schizophrenic through Stealth Boy use. They attack you while cloaked, deactivating cloak at the last minute to hit you with a club. </li>
<li>The Tabitha situation can also be resolved by convincing Tabitha to revolt against the other Super Mutants.</li>
<li>Helios One is not only a power plant, but also the location of the controls of a solar weapon developed by Poseidon Energy which you can employ yourself.</li>
<li>You can now choose the main character's age.</li>
</ul>
<p><em><strong>Scans Removed</strong></em></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>In addition, OXM apparently didn't really hear our cries about giving all the credit to Obsidian - nor did they actually do their homework on who Obsidian are and the connections they have to the Fallout series (even going so far as to falsely claim that <strong>"there won't be any connection to those [original Fallout games], though."</strong> I'm pretty sure the inclusion of factions like, I dunno, the <strong>NCR</strong> definitively tell us that there will be quite a connection to the original <em>Fallout</em> games.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em> </em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Thanks to <strong>NMA</strong> for the bulletpoints and <span><strong>madnath619</strong></span> for bringing everything to my attention.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Edit:</strong> The scans have been taken down. Although they were never hosted at Duck and Cover, apparently even linking to them is grounds for copyright violations. Oh well.</p>
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

It's pretty obvious this article was written for the 10-15 year old lulz EXPLOSIONS demographic. It's an absolute travesty that this is even considered "journalism."
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Are the bullets rentals or something?
madnath619
SDF!
SDF!

Post by madnath619 »

@king of creation i am regularly searching for news on new vegas i now have your email so i will let you know about anything i find
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Great, thanks
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Underlines by yours truly.
Retard 'journalists' at OMX wrote:(...)New Vegas is definitely a direct sequel to Fallout 3 rather than a lightweight spin-off. Clearly, you have a responsibility to push the series forward, but there's also nothing worse than a misguided attempt to differentiate a follow-up that only ruins what everyone loved about the original. Throw in a new developer - New Vegas is being developed by Obsidian rather than Bethesda's in-house team - and there is no doubt that a fair few Fallout fans will be more than a little concerned that this could be a recipe for nuclear disaster.
Seriously, what in the name of all that is holy is this supposed to mean? I still cannot completely comprehend that there actually are people who feel that Fallout 3 was in any way spectacular. It was a mediocre pseudo-RPG which focused more on action in gameplay rather than storytelling and had too many flaws to count. And to praise Bethesda's in-house develeopement talent?! Gee, I guess the [rumors] and [steel be with you] -dialogue was something that really set the standard for the gaming industry of tomorrow. It also bothers me how you call Fallout 3 fans just plain and simple Fallout fans. Most of the FO3-fanboys never played the originals, and even if they did they most likely disliked them. Some of the Bethesda fanboys have already been crying after Elder Scrolls 5, well it's part of this foolery I cannot understand: you already got your ES V in form of Oblivion: w/ gunz! and now we're about to get another taste of that bitter nectar in form of Oblivion: now w/ neon lightz! So, technically, all those Morrowind fans should be in fact waiting for Elder Scrolls 7?
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

What you quoted made me laugh at first, but then the irony made me sad.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

SenisterDenister wrote:What you quoted made me laugh at first, but then the irony made me sad.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

OXM 2008:
Fallout 3 is, quite literally, a tale of following in your father’s footsteps, but you choose how closely or how distantly you toe that line in everything from a slew of tough moral conundrums to the exact route you take. You can be the saintly savior of all you encounter, a vile murderer of all you see, or more probably, you’ll find a comfortable gray area somewhere in between.
OXM 2010:
One of the things Fallout 3 was criticised for was its predetermined black-and-white moral choices - the developers decided which actions were right and which were wrong.
How Rybicki of them.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Ausir wrote: How Rybicki of them.
Zing

:wheelie:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The evolution of the series and its fans:

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9350 ... lution.png
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Great picture Kash. Had to put it on the front page.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Jim Cojones wrote:
OXM, fall 2008 wrote:Fallout 3 is, quite literally, a tale of following in your father’s footsteps, but you choose how closely or how distantly you toe that line in everything from a slew of tough moral conundrums to the exact route you take. You can be the saintly savior of all you encounter, a vile murderer of all you see, or more probably, you’ll find a comfortable gray area somewhere in between.
OXM, now wrote:One of the things Fallout 3 was criticised for was its predetermined black-and-white moral choices - the developers decided which actions were right and which were wrong.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Retard 'journalists' at OMX wrote:As a Fanboy bonus, Obsidian was founded by former members of Black Isle Studios, which developed the origial Fallout games on the PC - there wont be any explicit connection to those though.
Apart New California Republic, the fact the city is all lit up (an indication that society is getting back on it's feet, following on from Fallout 2), no doubt an inclusion of Harold (this is set before Fallout 3 right?), no doubt a Dogmeat, some recycled plot elements, mentioning of places.

It almost sounds like it was meant as reassuring, "don't worry kiddies, you won't have to play those nasty old things!"
meinsla
SDF!
SDF!

Post by meinsla »

Kashluk wrote:I still cannot completely comprehend that there actually are people who feel that Fallout 3 was in any way spectacular. It was a mediocre pseudo-RPG which focused more on action in gameplay rather than storytelling and had too many flaws to count.
Wow. Someone never installed any mods or even tried GECK.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

That's the thing though - we shouldn't have to install user made content to make the game good. The onus is on the developer to make it a worthwhile game to play.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

And I also have yet to see a mod which would fix the silly storyline and god-awful dialogue.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Kashluk wrote:And I also have yet to see a mod which would fix the silly storyline and god-awful dialogue.
Would actually be pretty straightforward - but you'd have to rely on reading changed subtitles while ignoring the totally different thing coming out of the NPC's noise hole.

I'd do it if my time wasn't worth anything, but sadly, it is.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Retlaw83 wrote:Would actually be pretty straightforward
I'd say could be straightforward. Most of the fan-made dialogue is actually even worse than what Bethesda's come up with.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Yeah, but if a real writer did the project - you know, like me - then it would be successful.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!