I'm new to these here parts...

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

I'm new to these here parts...

Post by Yonmanc »

...well, I'm a lurker actually. Anyway, got into Fallout from Fallout 3, thought it was cool, until I played Fallout 1...now it just feels dirty. Still, I continued to enjoy it, until the DLC came...each one more rapey than the last, each one supposedly better than the last, never living up to any expectations. Broken steel was what ruined it for me, enjoyed the side-quests...the main quest basically ruined Fallout for me.

Anyway, sad history lesson over, I read the latest interview with the Bethesda sales rep by Ausir. Ive worked in sales before, insurance to be exact, and can decipher a sales speech from a mile away:

Ausir: Aliens in previous Fallout games, as well as in vanilla Fallout 3, were mostly small easter eggs, with hard to find alien spaceships or weapons. What made you decide to make a full-fledged add-on focusing on them and how does it fit with the rest of the Fallout setting?

Game Rapist: In the base Fallout 3 game, we had no real new ideas, so we recycled jokes and easter eggs from the previous titles, such as the spaceship. We've decided, seeing as we placed it on the map, and gave it a name, we could sell it as canon, and voila, money.

We were kinda lucky really, we'd pretty much recycled everything we could find, and were running out of ideas, then we caught one of our guys actually PLAYING the game we'd made, can you beleive that!? Anyway, he was stood next to that dumb spaceship, "can we sell that?" Cain asked? Some fans asked how it fits in with Fallout, we cleverly brought up the 1950's style setting.

Ausir: Mothership Zeta sounds like it will be a more linear, combat-focused add-on like Operation: Anchorage, unlike, for example, the more exploration-focused Point Lookout. Will it also feature any non-combat situations that will require the use of skills like Speech or Science?

GR: Well, again, we'd run low on ideas, so we thought "Bigger Guns sell right?" We looked at Halo's sales figures, and the fact the space setting wasn't hurting Mass Effect none, and got to work. Unfortunately, even we at Bethesda can't think of other things to do with games other than shoot. We wanted to keep it varied, so you can guarantee there will be more stupid compter word puzzles and other lame "challenges" were the use of skills is brutally forced into it in a way that,although doesn't feel seamless, defintely looks flashy.

Ausir: We know that the main quest in this add-on will be to escape from the spaceship. How many side-quests and achievements can we expect from it?

GR: None really. What we're doing is taking the same route we did with Operation: Anchroage. 3 Hours of dull shooting sequences with big rewards at the end, namely weapons and armour that, despte robbing the game of it's survivalist feel, will make awesome 'spolsion. We realised that 'splosions sell.

Ausir: We know that there will be other abductees on the spaceship, somehow preserved despite coming from various time periods. Will any of them be historical figures like Elvis or characters known from previous Fallout games?

GR: Most of them will be bland stock characters, ie, Wastelanders, Raiders, etc. Also We will vary it with characters from different time slots from before the war. This would be a fantastic oppurtunity for some great storytelling, instead, we;ve decided that rather than give a full explanation, the dialogue will be cut short with some bad voice acting, mostly so the player can get back to shooting an endless stream of badly designed enemies that will be easy to kill from the start.

Ausir: How varied will the aliens themselves be? Will we see any other alien creatures aside from ones looking like the one found in the Fallout 3 crashed UFO, e.g. the wanamingos seen in Fallout 2?

GR: The core of the enemies will be an endless stream of generic alien bad guys, they'll die easy, provide the player with no excitement, BUT, keeping in line with our previous Obliv...our previous Fallout games, they'll drop lots of loot. Then we'll have the same enemies again with slightly more health and slightly better firepower, then we'll have bigger versions where the difficulty between them and their counterparts is jarring. And then some robots.

Also, the Aliens have been doing some experiemnts on the humans (we had toexplain their appearence somehow) so you'll probably stumble across some generic mutant characters. I mean, I know we did it already in vanilla with centaurs, but we feel the F3 fanbase is willing to buy the same thing 5th time in a row.

Ausir: The alien weapons known from vanilla Fallout 3, as well as the disintegrator and atomizer mentioned so far in Mothership Zeta previews are all energy weapons. Will all new weapons in this add-on be from this category, or will we also see new small guns, big guns, etc.?

GR: Well, yeah, we have those two. We're marketing them as unique, I mean they're basically laser guns, but we've actually built different models so you can pretend they're different weapons. The rest are just renamed weapons from previous Fallout DLC's.

Ausir: Let's talk about PLAYSTATION 3. Will the delay in DLC release for the PS3 affect the release date of the Game of the Year edition for that platform in any way?

GR: No, we decided that people might start getting sick of being treated like dog-shit for buying a different console, silly I know, but thems the breaks.

Ausir: Can we expect any extras from the GOTY edition aside from the five add-ons themselves?

GR: No, there's no money in throwing the fans a bone.

Ausir: Have you considered releasing a bigger add-on, like the GTA4 episodes, or your own Shivering Isles, in addition to these smaller ones?

GR: No. You see, whereas companies like Rockstar Games spend years putting their efforts into every square inch of their games, and try wholeheartedly to give their loyal fans the very best gaming experience they can offer, we took a different route. What we found, is that as long as you repaint the scenery, the fans will buy it again. I mean sure, we lose our integrity, but as long as gaming magazines keep praising us and those parasites we call fans in public keep paying for rush-jobs, the money more than makes up for it.

Ausir: Did you initially plan to release only 3 add-ons, or did you always plan there to be five of them, but wanted to keep the last two a surprise? Is there any chance for more Fallout 3 add-ons beyond Mothership Zeta, or will Fallout fans have to wait for Obsidian's New Vegas to see new Fallout content?

GR: Hahaha! That's my favourite question! Well, you see, when we first made Fallout 3, we wern't sure which way it would go. We intially planned 3 DLC's to milk as much cash out of the game as we could, but when we realised how gullible todays gamers are! All I'm saying is, why have one coked out vacation in Cancun, when you can have 3? As long as people are still willing to pay us what they do so we can repaint their guns and shooting galleries, the more we're willing to rape the franchise until it's no longer popular and we can move onto the next license.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

tl:dr
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

a post has never made my heart race as much as that
:chew:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Welcome to the forums.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

:hug:
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

<3
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Welcome aboard.
Cow Cud is a twin.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

:dance: :dance:
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Hello. :joy:
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

gtfo
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

:revolution:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

:butthead:
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

:yikes:
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

lol Lithuania
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

S4ur0n27 wrote::butthead:
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

good stuff :salute:
Sloth
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Sloth »

jetbaby, of all the butts posted in this thread, yours was, by far, the least informative.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Good night my friends!
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Sloth wrote:jetbaby, of all the butts posted in this thread, yours was, by far, the least informative.
T'was mine, actually.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

:butthead::whip:
Our Host!