New Las Vegas and the possible future of Fallout...

Discuss Obsidian's Vegas Fallout game here. Also: Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Fallout Shelter and other new dairy products from Bethesda's farm that don't have separate forums here yet.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Welcome to DAC. Sorry about the lukewarm reception but, apart from Rosh (and even he let you off easy), this place is mostly pussyfied these days. A big part of the crowd probably had the exact same experience and reception as you did, as they stumbled in here naively after playing Fallout, hoping this was cirkle-jerk station where everyone would congratulate you on the hard decision that was playing Fallout 2 instead of Oblivion or Farcry or Quake 3 Arena etc. Well it's not.

You don't have to understand the old-school posters position or behaviour to stick around, but you do have to accept it. We have many posters here who we haven't been able to turn into intelligent human beings (or jaded pricks, whichever you prefer), like Smiley, MR Snake and Cazsim, but they at least have the fortitude to deal with day-to-day bashing which is something everyone can respect.
The thing to keep in mind is that despite numerous failed attempts from developers, we haven't actually had a Fallout game for 12 years, and so any argument against core mechanics in Fallout, any argument for [intelligence] "Gaemz evolutionZ" and every possible observation you can make about Fallout, especially as a newcomer to the series, most of us will have heard about a hundred times; some about a thousand times more, as dumbing down is a common occurance through the whole crpg genre. Meaning that the most common reaction to any topic about Fallout is a violent one, with the second most common reaction being apathy. In essence: This is a Fallout fansite that no longer wishes to have anything to do with Fallout. :drunk:

Welcome aboard. :dance:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Or at least, the status quo of the Fallout Franchise.

We yearn for the days when bountiful variety, plausible intelligence, and unconforming, non-hyped glory were all synonymous with the Wastes.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Can somebody please sum up what just happened here in 25 words or less?

Whatever it was...

I love you FsEtNrDaEtR92 :hug:
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Ollie Eisenkreisenstein
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ollie Eisenkreisenstein »

First post after years and years of lurking (insert: omg fffffffff lol rofl OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone etc since apparently that's the going flavor). But now that we have the 'don't hit me b-tards, I'm actually cool' insert out of the way--

The major problem with the present style of game creation has to do with the fact that the games produced these days, by and large, with the exception of VERY FEW, have little interest in challenging the player. The first CD Rom game I played was 7th Guest which, arguably, very few people of the latest generation have the patience for since it involves solving complex puzzles using an interface that is 'sorely lacking' in comparison to the latest and greatest that console and PC games have bestowed upon us.

Every time I pick up a new game I expect to hit the ground running. Lately I find that most of the steps that I need to take are literally spoon-fed to me; there is little to no learning curve.

Fallout 1 and 2 I picked up without any trouble whatsoever, why? Because of something that I don't think anyone else bothered to address here: because we were all used to it. We were used to NES games that were genuinely challenging and *STILL ARE* (tried playing Life Force or Contra again WITHOUT the 30 lives code or cheats?) and had to go through an amazing amount of cerebral gymnastics to train our brains to learn all the patterns. It became a matter of pattern memorization, but it was still difficult. So of course you're going to have people screaming 'DUHHH!!! what are you STUPID?' at you from the rafters whenever you so much as dare to insinuate that you might not 'get it.'

These days, you almost never see anything like that in any games, and if anyone can point one out I'd love to hear about it. Most games are more concerned with graphics capabilities and Hollywood-style actionie crap, less about story and actual challenges. You need to realize that we're living in a era where 'everyone is a winner' and challenging people is apparently a bad thing. You came into your own right around the time that became the flag that was being waved. Hell, you were seven years old when I was first playing Silent Hill 1, which still seemed easier than most of the games that I played as a youngster.

Interestingly, you do address ALL of this in your post and yet it goes completed ignored by most of the people who decide to say you're a homosexual invalid. Apparently, 'tl;dr' applies to the current breed of denizen, because it came across loud and clear that you thought critically about this post as well as the content behind it. To that I say, bravo!

And give Fallout 1 another try. Don't let the bitey boys making screaming sounds at you deter you from giving that, and the community, a second try.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

I said 25 words or less.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Ollie Eisenkreisenstein
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ollie Eisenkreisenstein »

Jesus Christ wrote:I said 25 words or less.
SHIT KEEPS FALLING CATS PURR THE SKY IS BLUE CODE ALPHA PANTS in ancient japan honoring WHERE IS MY DINNER I am tired and saucy

I'm pretty sure that's 25 and just as confused as the list of responses that aren't on topic.

(i was responding to the original author dammit D:)
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

I'm intently reminded of Jhonen Vasquez. :chick:
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Ollie Eisenkreisenstein wrote:
Jesus Christ wrote:I said 25 words or less.
SHIT KEEPS FALLING CATS PURR THE SKY IS BLUE CODE ALPHA PANTS in ancient japan honoring WHERE IS MY DINNER I am tired and saucy

I'm pretty sure that's 25 and just as confused as the list of responses that aren't on topic.

(i was responding to the original author dammit D:)
You fail. And your nice and tidy I'm leaving thread is pathetic. You want response? Read the forums...if you've been lurking for years, you missed 'it'. Perhaps that's what we expect here, for people to actually lurk, rather than to just read the front page news. Everything you said has been repeated to death over the last few years in mind-shattering depth and Socratic brevity as every wanna be denizen posits their feeble views, expecting us to treat them so special when they're not even rehashing what has been said but slandering it. Thanks, go join NMA. You'll fit right in.
...signatures? WTF?
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Re: New Las Vegas and the possible future of Fallout...

Post by MR Snake »

Rosh wrote:It takes balls to be this stupid and post here.
FsEtNrDaEtR92 wrote: I had not heard of the Fallout franchise until the announcement of Fallout 3. At the time, I owned Oblivion and was convinced it was the greatest RPG ever (ignorance if I've ever known it, but we all must learn some time)
By all means, don't let us stop you continuing to learn. In fact, we encourage it. A pity you didn't learn enough before posting this garbage.
Having no clue about the direction of the franchise, I got on Wikipedia and began reading about this franchise I had never heard of (I was born in 92', so I was a little young to be playing Fallout).
You still are.
Now, onto New Las Vegas. Bethesda has brought in a third-party developer to create this game that, as I said before, has previous employees that created the original Fallouts.
Feargus "SLAM DUNK!" Urquhart and Chris "New Reno" Avellone aren't particularly inspiring remnants of the design team. There might be a few more at Obsidian, but it really doesn't matter because Obsidian has been sucking too hard on the BioWare tit lately.
This got my hopes up.
And made your IQ fall.
I knew that the FP view was probably here to stay, and that the overall feel would be predominantly FO3ish. The hope for me lies in the possible creation of depth, a chance for players of this generation to experience the reality of Fallout: the world is not waiting for you to fix it. It will continue to die and grow.
1 year RPG development time = mod work.
As for how Obsidian can do this is beyond me.
And beyond Obsidian as well. Being a bit wiser about the game industry, I know of Obsidian's failures. 5 years on Stonekeep 2, a couple on TORN, multiple false starts on Fallout 3 when they were called BIS, Descent to Undermountain, Lionheart, the list goes on. The only two real notable titles from them were from before they were known as Obsidian, and those titles were damn near ten years ago. Everything else remotely promising from that studio has been canceled as they suck up publisher money.
With the current demand for NPC's, talking-heads will seem like a step backwards to some.
What the fuck?! Fallout 3 had "talking heads" but they were shitty compared to the original. Vampire: Bloodlines also had talking heads, done well, that helped bring the NPCs to life. What's the fucking point of having dialog with full VO with minimal facial detail?
But at least NPC's can have some depth and dialogue to them, to the point where what comes out of their mouth is actually important. If Black Isle didn't hook you in with drama, humor, or other weird sayings, then the character was probably trying to kill you. What's the point of having these dead characters walking around that only say the same things?
Apparently, you also need to play a few of Obsidian's recent games and purchase that clue as well. Hint: They suck.
I'd like to see actual consequences to the choices you make as a player. Oh somebody died, well you 500 karma so it's okay!!! No, you killed someone so be prepared for the entire town to turn against you.
See: Gothic 1 and 2.
Maybe actually create quests that benefit people, not just a run and collect quest to make a bomb out of soda pop. Show the effects of your job in the ending, of every single choice that you made in the game. Not just two different endings where you can be either apocalyptic saint or apocalyptic anti-christ.
Whoa, that would require Obsidian to do something other than clone BioWare, and poorly at that. I wonder how BioWare is feeling now that Obsidian jumped into Bethesda's bed.
I'm still wary of New Vegas, but if Bethesda kind of backs up and lets Obsidian take the wheel than maybe some of the old can meet the new. However, I know that Bethesda won't do this so I'm still scared.
Obsidian still doesn't have the people who set the design direction, setting details, art direction, and more, so you're still stupid.
Hope you guys enjoyed the post, I just felt the need to express concern for the game. Any criticism or praise will be welcome below : )
Thanks for the laugh. Now go back to Guitar Zero and forget about speaking in regards to this genre until you've played a few more decent games in it. The 80s and 90s birthed several amazing titles that should be staple for understanding this genre.

A pity they also birthed YOU.
I would also like to cut and paste quotes like a fucking moron and add shit in between them! YAY!
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Shut up Snake, a real counter has been issued, your half-thought response will be better put to use elsewhere.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

jetbaby wrote:Shut up Snake, a real counter has been issued, your half-thought response will be better put to use elsewhere.
Are you and Rash having nightly encounters? The reply was horrible as usual with Rash the giant dildo. I do agree with your second point but.. I felt generous.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

As if your half-wit replies could offer any better.

No, seriously, you're coming off as a crying emo bitch. Just like most of the failure emo kids, you're obviously still alive.

Remember: It's down the road, not across the street.

Happy cutting!

PS: How's your BFF Malkavian doing lately? Have you since made up now that MR is back at NMA?
Obsidian:
Now working on Fallout: New Undermountain!

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Rosh wrote:As if your half-wit replies could offer any better.

No, seriously, you're coming off as a crying emo bitch. Just like most of the failure emo kids, you're obviously still alive.

Remember: It's down the road, not across the street.

Happy cutting!

PS: How's your BFF Malkavian doing lately? Have you since made up now that MR is back at NMA?
My half-wit remarks are golden and you know it.

I dont know. Me and the Malkavian the pizza pusher have not spoke since that horrible falling out where I called him... I feel embaressed to even say it... a tard vampire! What was I thinking calling him that, of all the words this is what I chose, such an obsene and vicious word noone should hear.

Also, rather an emo bitch than a I killed a tied down iraqui in the war and then raped him and now I am bragging about it looser like yourself.

Also you should notice that I did not use more than one quote, spent no more than 5 minutes typing this and it was short and to the point.
I just wonder where you find the time to copy and paste all those quotes togheter. And for the grand finale, I did not spellcheck this post as that is a total waste of time :)

Welcome back btw.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

MR Snake wrote:And for the grand finale, I did not spellcheck this post as that is a total waste of time :)
Just like you. :)

This took less than five seconds, even with a high WPM, and tends to be spelled as if I had an education. As I'm a polyglot, my grammar tends to be a little bit garbage at times though.
Obsidian:
Now working on Fallout: New Undermountain!

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Rosh wrote:
MR Snake wrote:And for the grand finale, I did not spellcheck this post as that is a total waste of time :)
Just like you. :)

This took less than five seconds, even with a high WPM, and tends to be spelled as if I had an education. As I'm a polyglot, my grammar tends to be a little bit garbage at times though.
Worst comeback this far and very predictable, just like you :)

We can measure cocks if you would like. A polyglot? How many languages do you speak? Since you mentioned it I mean. As usual you try and brag and impress, like that soldier you killed then raped.

Here is a real cock masurer, how much do you earn a month? :) Oh I bet I make much more ho ho ho.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Can we ban snake yet?
...signatures? WTF?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

MR Snake wrote:Here is a real cock masurer, how much do you earn a month? :) Oh I bet I make much more ho ho ho.
All I got out of this post is MR Snake makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year massaging cocks.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Retlaw83 wrote:
MR Snake wrote:Here is a real cock masurer, how much do you earn a month? :) Oh I bet I make much more ho ho ho.
All I got out of this post is MR Snake makes hundreds of thousands of dollars a year massaging cocks.
Pitch in some dollars of your own and you'll get even more :eyebrow:
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

I have a nice relaxing flame war with Rash the giant dildo and you guys have to come and ruin it. Have you no shame?
Our Host!