Project Milo...

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
FsEtNrDaEtR92
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Project Milo...

Post by FsEtNrDaEtR92 »

I'm rather surprised that a thread of this hasn't show up yet. After all, Peter Molyneux stands as one of the current murderers of classic gaming, introducing the world to poorly designed AI and morality systems while calling them "innovative".

The Milo project announced at E3 in accompaniment with Project Natal seems to have created quite a stir in the gaming community. I know the Xbox 360 is a bit of a touchy subject here, as it seems to house games enjoyed by football players and the mentally retarded, but one can't help but show at least some interest in the idea.

Now by interest I don't mean "enjoyment" but instead more along the lines of "ridicule". It's funny how Peter, possibly the worst designer of AI in the known universe (as shown in the dance-loving fart-enjoying citizens of the Fable series), is heading a project to create the most intelligent AI ever made. What does he choose? Some 13 year-old british teenager who avoids doing his homework.

Accompanied by Natal's body recognition, Milo shows an understanding of what you look like and what you're wearing. This is the point where the idea will meet it's match: dickheads. That's right, dickheads. The first time some jerk get's in front of these things he's going to watch Milo's reactions after he insults his mum and wanks off in front of him. It's senile of course, but you know we're all thinking it very very loudly. IGN made a very potentially accurate representation of said occurrence here. http://video.ign.com/dor/articles/96001 ... 52209.html

It's funny how the gaming community always welcomes Peter with open arms regardless of the continuing disappointment that Lionhead is so notorious for. The promises presented by Fable 1+2 were completely shattered and the gaming public presented nothing but disappointment, yet they were just as quick to eat out of the palm of his hand again. It's like forgiving your father for slapping you across the face just because he agreed to get you a nice birthday present.

I could go on about the project because it really does look like a complete disaster. So many games try to emulate the concept of real life, but what's the point? If we want real life we have it. More importantly, why would I want to talk to some teenager and do his virtual non-existent homework? The whole idea is laughable and I'm pretty sure if will fail, especially after viewing Peter's track record.

Although Black and White was kind of fun.......................kind of
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I think we had a topic on this a month back. Jesus help me if I can remember what the topic was called or where it even was. We're not really that big on organisation, let alone relevant topic titles.

But basically; yes, looks like a terrible novelty that'll be overhyped to shit and will make millions. Till everyone realises it's a pile of shit a couple of months later and it's universally panned.

Nice video, got a laugh at the different shirts.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

You're my favourite son of God, Jesus :hug:
FsEtNrDaEtR92
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by FsEtNrDaEtR92 »

Jesus Christ wrote:Who is Milo?
I actually found that post a few minutes later. I figured it would be in this category and not the other one, so I ended up making this one.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I don't think I've actually ever played a Molyenoux game besides about 15 minutes of fable so I never had that much rage for him except when I see him talk about stuff like in that Milo video.

He is probably the most easy to market game developer ever cause each game has some central "innovative" idea that the marketing department can hype to all hell. It's probably why he has lasted so long already.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

B&W1 Was rather good.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

You know I brought this up like a week ago.

fucking OLD
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

You know its bad when Danny is ripping into the new comers...

Innovation in gaming needs to stop being innovative gimmicks and be more about actual playability, storytelling, interaction. Often we're presented with a massive helping of one (ie: the last one), but nothing to go with it. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo. Milo can see me. I can also lock my Sims in a bathroom and torment then all interactive like. Both have about as much playable depth as a kiddie pool in the end, which is really one of the entire points of Gaming in the first place (ie: playing videogames)
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I'm sure it will be another extraordinarily tedious gaming experience, just like any other Molyneux game.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I can already imagine getting frustrated while trying to convince Milo to cross the fence so he can find the cake or something similarly pointless.

- Come on, cross the fence, Milo!
- Whot? Whot about deefence? This ain't no time to plan a rugby match, ye silly!

Voice recognition has been hyped since 1993 and besides the lights that go off when you clap there ain't much progress done still :chew:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

pre-pubic welling

Post by Megatron »

My dad knows about this for some reason and keeps bringing it up in coversation to show he's in-the-know about the future of technogaming or whatever. I usually throw a hissy fit and start weeping about the lack of feedback one would get due to dancing around in the air. People need some kind of sensory sense that they are actually doing something rather than watching a 2D screen with speakers. If I press the buttons on an ATM and they don't bleep or the buttons feel spongey, I'm more likely to make mistakes. I hate the idea that new technology=new ways of interacting. It's about as fucking gimmicky and shit as VR was meant to be and why anybody who has a Wii regrets buying it so when you go around to there house there always like 'lets play the wii' to make it valid so they dust it off and you twat them in the face with a wii remote. It's dumb as fuck and I hate it.

There'll be somebody somewhere who will somehow undress Milo and probably make him jack off so virtual globs of semen will be on the inside of the screen, mirroring real globs of semen on the outside. A regular paedo debacle. Even when this spreads like a plague, you won't be able to be unemployed and watch day time television without some cunt mouthing off about how novel it all is and that they were used to some 16 bit bleeps and bloops because television people are stuck in cocoons. All Milo is fucking doing is making the gaming industry even more mainstream and shallow.
:chew:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I think that what game designers fail to realize is that just because something is "novel", "innovative" or "next-gen", doesn't mean that it will be fun. Target audience for this shit will be the regular: "LOL HE SAID "ass" *chuckle*" dipshits. Game designers get too much credit and attention for coming up with new concepts and engines that no-one actually realizes that their implementation in 99% of the scenarios is absolute horseshit. This shit gets streamlined because it sells and because it's a fucking "novelty", just like judging a book by its cover.
When was the last time that a game was released and it got coverage for an excellent storyline and an interesting, and above all, fun gameplay? Such solid games are completely ignored by games journalism because they "don't push boundries" and "do the same thing". Since they don't make it to the headlines, the largest playerbase and target audience - the drooling semi-spastic X-box kid will not have his mummy buy it for him since it won't be cool to talk about it to the other fucktards in the sandbox of the local playground ("AM GUYZE I GOT THIS NEW GAYM BUT THERE WAS TOO MUCH TXTTT!111").
For exactly the same reasons, Molyneux will not have to do anything with this idea of his, for however shitty its implementation will be, it will still sell because its omg new and innovative.
Expect overlapping expansion packs that include 4 new facial expressions, a party dress and a fucking ingame Tamagochi. Work has probably even started on a sequel.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Natal looks pretty badass. I would love to run around shooting and beating up folks. :drunk:
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

oh and being able to shoot people while exercising sounds like an excellent sales pitch to me.

also why do people continue to take that peter dude seriously? he is constantly full of shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1IxkDR03t8&NR=1
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

More or less Seaman?
...signatures? WTF?
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

the last thing this forum needs is more semen
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Caleb wrote:More or less Seaman?
Wow, that looked incredibly more horrible than what I expected that game ever to look like. Also the voice recognition in the game is pretty much the same shit they have had been using for stupid amusement crap for ages, I'm actually surprised they released a microphone just for that shit. Also the game had spock, I never knew that.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
FsEtNrDaEtR92
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by FsEtNrDaEtR92 »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Natal looks pretty badass. I would love to run around shooting and beating up folks. :drunk:
As great as though sounds on paper, I'm not quite sure how well it would work and that's the part that worries me. Sony proved that they could have a controller that appeals to "hardcore" genres of gaming. I think Natal will more than likely be a gimmick, like most of the content released for the Xbox.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Have you people forgotten Theme Park? The original one. The no frills, silly action, (pre-EA) Bullfrog game. I had shitloads of fun with that.

..not to mention Populous. Back in the day that game was fucking mindblowing.
Our Host!